Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what up?!

So I decided to do a little experiment with my BDGT to see what different settings produce as far as MPG. For the last couple months I have had this thing, I have had it set at performance throttle, 2* timing advance, WOT OFF, and 87 octane tune. I have averaged roughly 11-12.5 MPG per half tank (I only go to half tank then fill up). I drive carefully but I notice the driving coach is constantly on me lol.

Tonight I decided to go a different route. I returned everything to stock and removed the timing advance, along with installing the fuel saving throttle sensitivity. I noticed right away going down the street that I went from a power machine to a power wheel lol.

Anyways this is the experiment. I will average out my MPG over the next few weeks and reply back with results of the power tune vs the fuel saver tune so this way you all know what you can potentially get either way. STAY TUNED! (or in my case, don't LOL :) )

·
Registered
233 Posts
Please let us know, I'm trying to justify buying one atm and if I can constantly get better mileage if only 1-1.5mpg its worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Due to having an 04, I don't have the luxury of the BDGT. However, I did notice that with the superchips cortex, my mpg's did improve drastically (about 3-4 ish mpg's). I can only assume that the BD is the same way.

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
Awesome keep us informed. My BDGT should be in the mailbox today. Hope to see some improvements in mpg and HP.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I've taken my truck back to stock, but I'm still running the 2 degree advance.

My mileage went from 14.5 to 15.5. I plan to try the econotune next as well. I can say that I would miss the 2 degree advance, if I didn't have it turned on.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
early reports are in!

There is a noticeable difference in performance and power. Without the tune I had (which included WOT OFF and 2* timing advance) and by adding the fuel saving throttle sensitivity, I noticed that my truck is now officially a 4 cylinder grandma car and I love it! HOWEVER....these noticeable differences have not yet translated into better MPGs. I keep my BDGT on at all times while driving so I can monitor my real time MPG and I noticed that it still isnt that great because alot of my driving is city and so I am always accelerating and slowing. I have learned that the only way to get better MPGs in our trucks is to coast as much as possible and stay in high gear or under 1900 RPMs.

Hope the update helps and I will have more info soon!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have a dumb question. Can a BDGT or Pup be used on more then one Titan, or does the unit have to stay with the vehicle? Could someone borrow the BD from another Titan owner to remove the WOT restriction, then give the BD back?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a dumb question. Can a BDGT or Pup be used on more then one Titan, or does the unit have to stay with the vehicle? Could someone borrow the BD from another Titan owner to remove the WOT restriction, then give the BD back?
I dont know because I think in order to do the WOT the tuner has to be married to the truck but im not sure. I know there is some way to do the 2* timing advance on a dif truck but not sure how either on that lol good luck

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
early reports are in!

There is a noticeable difference in performance and power. Without the tune I had (which included WOT OFF and 2* timing advance) and by adding the fuel saving throttle sensitivity, I noticed that my truck is now officially a 4 cylinder grandma car and I love it! HOWEVER....these noticeable differences have not yet translated into better MPGs. I keep my BDGT on at all times while driving so I can monitor my real time MPG and I noticed that it still isnt that great because alot of my driving is city and so I am always accelerating and slowing. I have learned that the only way to get better MPGs in our trucks is to coast as much as possible and stay in high gear or under 1900 RPMs.

Hope the update helps and I will have more info soon!
I actually used the driving coach with the BDGT alot for the heck of it. You're right, 1800 RPM's seems to be about the sweet spot for mileage...what surprised me was how bad the MPG got when you had to brake fast. I tried a whole tank of gas strictly using the driving coach and got about 50 miles more on that tank.

No, if you want to use a programmer on another vehicle, the previous one that it was "paired" to must be "de-programmed". The exception is the 2* advance, you can do that on any vehicle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Due to having an 04, I don't have the luxury of the BDGT. However, I did notice that with the superchips cortex, my mpg's did improve drastically (about 3-4 ish mpg's). I can only assume that the BD is the same way.
can 04's not have a bdgt?? I have an 04 and I was about to buy a bdgt...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good timing on the post!! Here is my VERY UNSCIENTIFIC results using my PUP from my vacation just last week!

I traveled from Cincinnati OH to Tybee Island GA, approximately 700 miles. I had the middle tune (can't remember the name) installed, with 2 degree advance on and my only stops were for gas and food. I averaged 11.5mpg for the entire trip down.

On my return trip, I removed everything putting the truck back to stock, same route home, and I averaged 13.6mpg!!!!

Again, this is very unscientific and I realize there are a TON of variables. I can tell you both ways the weather was about the same and extremely windy. I used cruise control as much as possible, but I'm sure it was not the same amount both directions. According to my GPS, my average moving speed was 63mph on the way down and 65mph on the way back.
Yes, I obviously got better mileage with NO tune at all and no timing advance on the truck...but for a long trip. I don't think I will notice that type of difference with daily driving. I did notice the slight loss of power (no, I personally don't feel the tune is THAT impressive in the first place). The place I noticed it the MOST was hills. Without the tune, the truck seemed to downshift a more often vs. just losing a few mph on a hill with the tune, and that's annoying to me! I'm going to leave the tune off for a while now that I'm doing my daily stuff and see if I notice any real difference...
That is all...!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
can 04's not have a bdgt?? I have an 04 and I was about to buy a bdgt...
You can still have someone do the 2* timing advance on your 2004. I have done it to one of the fellow Utah Titans. The only thing is that the BDGT comes with a file for nissan/infiniti 05-07 and one for 08-11. If you wish to do the 2* advance on a 2008 and you have a 2006 then you need to set your truck back to stock tune because the BDGT wont read on the 2008 with the 05-07 file. I found this out the other day when doing the timing advance on a 2008 T out here, my truck is a 2005. You just set your truck back to the stock tune then select 08-11 nissan/infiniti when you hook it up to the newer truck... when you are done you change the vehicle back to 05-07 and install a new tune on your truck :)...

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
Got the dog installed today and love it. The butt dyno was very pleased. Went with the 87 tune and performance throttle with 2* advance. My tundra driving buddy better look out now. He has no idea...lol

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update: Well today I put just over a quarter tank in gas and my total mileage was 90.4 miles. My avg. MPG was around 12.1 but I didnt have the eco tune on that whole time so I will keep you all updated.

One thing that I noticed is the shift points seem different. It is trying to stay in low gear longer than it was with the tune on. The downside to this is higher RPMs = worse MPG so after this is all said and done I may leave the eco tune but adjust the shift points to get me into high gear faster.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also have the Bully dog GT and I had the driving coach on for 33 gallons and averaged 13 MPG mostly city in that time frame. I reset the driving coach for a 45 mile highway drive @ 72-74mph and got 19 mpg in that drive. The magnaflow exhaust has been the biggest help as far as mpg goes in my Titan. I run the 87 tune, 2* timing advance, performance throttle, magnaflow muffler and aem bruteforce. 20'' rims with 305 50 20 tires.

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
The 4wd and gears really kill the mileage on the titan. My 05 2wd (2.93 gears) gets 15-16.5 and have got up to 19.5 on the hwy. I have to drive like my late grandpa to do it though. The 10% ethanol fuel we have now sucks for mileage. When I fill up with no ethanol fuel I get 1-2 mpg improvment. A buddy of mine drives a 2010 f-150 and has used e85 and instantly dropped 50 miles per tank

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting. So throughout the winter, I've been averaging about 14.5-16 MPG on my Titan, mostly highway. This is with the 87 tune, performance throttle and 2* advance.

A few weeks ago, I decided to put in some E85. I went back to stock mapping but left WOT on with performance throttle and kept the 2* advance.

I was SHOCKED when I pulled 16.5 MPG out of that tank. Typically on E85, I would get 12 to 13 MPG in the past. This was my first E85 tank with the BDGT.

So, I'm going to do some more testing. If 2* on the stock tune gets that kind of mileage, what would a 4* bump on the 93 octane tune do? The rally guys I know typically run 105 Octane race gas tunes on E85. I know BullyDog doesn't test their maps with E85, but what the hell. I'm over 100k. May as well give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you guys that are getting these kinds of mileage (16-19?!) are crazy! How in the hell do you do that? I drive 59 in the slow lane everywhere I go and I have never seen those kinds of numbers....even when stock!

anyways, I am noticing some slight improvement with the ecotune and everything else stock. I got about 12.8 the other day when I filled up from a half tank but I also was driving a little crazy for some of that. I am doing really good right now so we will see in about 4 days where I am

1 - 20 of 34 Posts