Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,815 Posts
Funny as it seems there are more “Youtube”auto reviewers that Titans sold to date…
All hoping to get their speculation validated!!!

It may eventually be true but then again GM has been talking about discontinuing the entire Buick line for the last 30 years….
Considering China was a big consumer market for Buicks, and the fact that certain accusations were levied against China recently, I can see that market all but drying up for Chevy. I still think Oldsmobile or Pontiac would've been a better line to keep. I was hoping that Buick would at least find a way to bring back the Grand National, but they couldn't even manage that.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I am guessing that the Titan will be killed off because it doesn't make much financial sense for Nissan to begin engineering an electric version of the Titan. Toyota went ahead and created their TT V6 and have a hybrid coming, but how long will those powertrains prove profitable for them? Nissan should continue with this current iteration of the Titan, begin looking at electrifying the Armada and the Infiniti version. Then once they have ironed out the bugs for the Armada and the Infiniti, they can cram a more compact version of the battery in a completely new Titan. This will ensure that Nissan brings an electric version of the Titan and hits it out with a home run (battery range, charging, etc.) to market.

As it stands now, it doesn't make sense for Nissan to pump money into a revamped Titan with a powertrain that will last maybe 2-3 years. Manufacturers that don't get on board with the electric vehicle bandwagon will be hard pressed to compete with manufacturers that go all in.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
“Jalopnick”…Yep… another fake news source…
I'll play devil's advocate and post this. The Future Isn't Looking Good For The Nissan Titan

It makes sense that no Nissan representative would definitely say it was being killed off if they are still trying to sell these. For whatever reason, a lot of low information consumers think that once a model is killed off, that they will be stuck with no support. Sure, parts may be harder to come by a few decades from now, but I figure parts will be available for quite some time. I kinda like the idea of the Titan being discontinued, as I like the idea of my truck being rare.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
OH YEAH, CarBuzz is an even more credible source of information! LOL
I regard these articles like I do with sports prognosticators that try to predict how teams or athletes operate. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't, but I figure that they have some resources that give them confidential information. It would be nice to know their sources. I figure it's probably some engineer that was possibly working on the next generation of Titan, and maybe was pulled to work on another project. These stories are for the most part speculative, but you have to figure someone's giving these entities some information. Whether correct or not remains to be seen. I'm fine with discussing the merits of this speculation. I'm not one of those that clicks on a link only to post that I don't care about the topic being discussed, as I figure it would make me look like a fool.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hey our Titans are already rare!!!
They definitely are. Funny thing happened on my way to the bank today. A GMC driver ahead of me for some reason was giving thumbs up as I was sitting behind him. My initial thought is that it was meant for someone else, but there was no one else around, and it was done with his hand sticking out the window, so maybe he was showing his approval of my Titan, which I can see why. Even though a lot of people hate the DRLs, I think they give the truck a nice exotic look.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Folks keep saying the same about the Maxima (which is a different situation since it shares platforms with other Nissans so it can share development costs). However, I always bring up the question...Why would they not keep a Titan (or Maxima, their longest running nameplate other than the Z), but spend all the money to redesign a niche Z car (they just did this) that sells less than 10% of those particular models? Nissan would lose my business as these are the only 2 models I will buy from them...the Titan (Frontier isn't big enough my my needs) and a Maxima (I'm on my 4th Maxima since 2005).
Something to think about, Dodge, Ford, GM have the volume to justify continuing the building. How much volume does the Titan generate to justify continuing manufacturing? If Nissan can make more money churning out Armadas (if built in the same plant -- although I understand they're made in Japan) then it makes more financial sense. You have to look at it from a point of volume. If Nissan only has 6 months worth of work for 1 year of Titan manufacturing, that's 6 months that a plant may be idle. If Nissan builds other vehicles at the same plant, that's more variation that they need to account for.

Having worked at a plant, I can tell you that the more variation from vehicle to vehicle that has to be built, the more prone to errors you are. I used to hate when I'd see a cop car/taxi cab coming down the line when I was installing wheels as these cars had steel wheels that were heavy AF.

I'm interested to see how this unfolds, but can see it go either way.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I may be wrong but doesn't Nissan make several different vehicles at it's Canton plant??

May be the reason for the Titans occasional quirks.. The factory worker at some point realizes “Oh… Forgot we are assembling Titan now and not Altimas!!”
Yeah, I was reading at some of what they build out there, they actually build frontiers at that same plant, which seems kind of odd. With GM, they used their plants to build similar vehicles. I was there when they built the Cadillac Deville/Buick Roadmaster/Chevy Caprice/Chevy Impala SS. You should've seen some of the crazy colors we'd have for the Cadillac, it was a very interesting blueish purple. I don't think that color was available in the U.S. Someone told me that those Cadillacs were slated for sale in some middle eastern country.

Nissan having such variation with the plant, that can't be good for QC. I found this video online, and here's a list of what they produce, which is way too much variation, IMO.

Altima, Armada, NV Cargo Van, NV Passenger Van, Murano, Titan King Cab and Crew Cab and the Frontier King Cab and Crew Cab

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The ALTIMA is made in Smyrna, TN.
I wonder why that website I went to showed the Altima being made in MS. Maybe the Altima was made there at one point? I kinda didn't think it was made in the same plant as the tooling would be a nightmare. It's bad enough if they build the Frontier on the same line as the Titan. I heard that they share the same transmission, which is a little disappointing, as we're either getting a transmission that's not good enough for the Titan, or too good for the Frontier.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think its BS but if for some reason they do discontinue it and Nissan announces it then mine is getting sold. They'll be worth absolutely nothing like TitanSSoul's beloved GTO after Pontiac kicked the bucket :ROFLMAO:
If you let the market dictate the value of the vehicle then you probably bought the wrong vehicle. I actually do miss my old GTO, but when gas prices got to $5.00 a gallon and I relied on my vehicle for commuting, it was time to let that thing go. A company killing off a model doesn't necessarily mean it's going to tank. I figure all truck manufacturers go electric or FI-V6, there's going to be some pretty decent demand for a good old fashioned V8. I'll put mine on the market for $75,000 and post about it in here for your spite. :p

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I will keep it. I still like my truck and hope to have it a very long time
I never figured I'd have a vehicle that would have me questioning the ownership of my SS. The SS is a great tourer, and has an exhaust sound that will get people at a stoplight ask me to roll down my window so they can ask me what I'm driving (stock exhaust). Ownership is quite a unique experience. The Titan is also a great long distance touring vehicle, doesn't have the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality of the SS (not many do for that matter). But when I have work to do, I love how much utility the Titan offers. The features are also better than the SS (granted the SS is a 5 year old vehicle), from the adaptive cruise control, to the LED lighting. Fortunately, I am not in a position where I have to decide on one or the other. As a matter of fact, I'm considering a 3rd vehicle that would be more of an economy vehicle, maybe another Kia Soul so that I'm true to my user name on here.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Said nobody ever!!! I read this and it actually gave me a headache

Market dictates the value of almost everything. If there is no market for it its worthless. "Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" Thats a real saying, look it up. There is a difference between sentimental and monetary value my friend.
So you're only holding onto your Titan because of what the market value is? Like I said, you probably didn't purchase wisely, especially given that it's a depreciating asset. You purchased the Titan at a price that you thought it was worth. How exactly does it automatically lose value to you if Nissan decides not to build titans past 2023? You've already given it value when you decided that it was worth what the dealership charged you. And if you really think that Nissan canceling the Titan will devalue the Titan, what if the Nissan spokesman that said there are no plans to shelf the Titan because he knows that they need to sell several more months worth of inventory because if they disclose that they're cancelling it, as "no one" will want to buy a lame duck truck? Better sell now, if you're that worried about market perception of your truck. I'll give you $1200 cash for your Titan, if you really think that the value is going to go down just because of what the market claims.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If discontinued resale value will drop probably 15-20%, soon after and more as time goes on. That’s nothing compared to trying to replace it now though. Probably pay double. My main concern is parts availability as I planned on keeping mine for a long time.
Companies are required to manufacture replacement parts for a certain amount of time after they stop making a model. This is done during the production of the vehicle. People that bailed quickly on vehicles from Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Mercury sold low because they panicked. It's funny how people fall for the hysteria and sell low. You're supposed to buy low, and sell high. https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/...turers are required by,the period of 10 years. This site claims 10 years. Something tells me that I won't have the Titan in 2031, if the asteroid or environment doesn't kill us all by then.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts