Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate and post this. The Future Isn't Looking Good For The Nissan Titan

It makes sense that no Nissan representative would definitely say it was being killed off if they are still trying to sell these. For whatever reason, a lot of low information consumers think that once a model is killed off, that they will be stuck with no support. Sure, parts may be harder to come by a few decades from now, but I figure parts will be available for quite some time. I kinda like the idea of the Titan being discontinued, as I like the idea of my truck being rare.
Hey our Titans are already rare!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate and post this. The Future Isn't Looking Good For The Nissan Titan

It makes sense that no Nissan representative would definitely say it was being killed off if they are still trying to sell these. For whatever reason, a lot of low information consumers think that once a model is killed off, that they will be stuck with no support. Sure, parts may be harder to come by a few decades from now, but I figure parts will be available for quite some time. I kinda like the idea of the Titan being discontinued, as I like the idea of my truck being rare.
OH YEAH, CarBuzz is an even more credible source of information! LOL

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,844 Posts
OH YEAH, CarBuzz is an even more credible source of information! LOL
I regard these articles like I do with sports prognosticators that try to predict how teams or athletes operate. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't, but I figure that they have some resources that give them confidential information. It would be nice to know their sources. I figure it's probably some engineer that was possibly working on the next generation of Titan, and maybe was pulled to work on another project. These stories are for the most part speculative, but you have to figure someone's giving these entities some information. Whether correct or not remains to be seen. I'm fine with discussing the merits of this speculation. I'm not one of those that clicks on a link only to post that I don't care about the topic being discussed, as I figure it would make me look like a fool.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hey our Titans are already rare!!!
They definitely are. Funny thing happened on my way to the bank today. A GMC driver ahead of me for some reason was giving thumbs up as I was sitting behind him. My initial thought is that it was meant for someone else, but there was no one else around, and it was done with his hand sticking out the window, so maybe he was showing his approval of my Titan, which I can see why. Even though a lot of people hate the DRLs, I think they give the truck a nice exotic look.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Folks keep saying the same about the Maxima (which is a different situation since it shares platforms with other Nissans so it can share development costs). However, I always bring up the question...Why would they not keep a Titan (or Maxima, their longest running nameplate other than the Z), but spend all the money to redesign a niche Z car (they just did this) that sells less than 10% of those particular models? Nissan would lose my business as these are the only 2 models I will buy from them...the Titan (Frontier isn't big enough my my needs) and a Maxima (I'm on my 4th Maxima since 2005).

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
412 Posts
Let’s discuss REAL facts of discontinued Nissan vehicles. The GTR is officially done as is the Maxima. You heard it here first. Or second….

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Folks keep saying the same about the Maxima (which is a different situation since it shares platforms with other Nissans so it can share development costs). However, I always bring up the question...Why would they not keep a Titan (or Maxima, their longest running nameplate other than the Z), but spend all the money to redesign a niche Z car (they just did this) that sells less than 10% of those particular models? Nissan would lose my business as these are the only 2 models I will buy from them...the Titan (Frontier isn't big enough my my needs) and a Maxima (I'm on my 4th Maxima since 2005).
Something to think about, Dodge, Ford, GM have the volume to justify continuing the building. How much volume does the Titan generate to justify continuing manufacturing? If Nissan can make more money churning out Armadas (if built in the same plant -- although I understand they're made in Japan) then it makes more financial sense. You have to look at it from a point of volume. If Nissan only has 6 months worth of work for 1 year of Titan manufacturing, that's 6 months that a plant may be idle. If Nissan builds other vehicles at the same plant, that's more variation that they need to account for.

Having worked at a plant, I can tell you that the more variation from vehicle to vehicle that has to be built, the more prone to errors you are. I used to hate when I'd see a cop car/taxi cab coming down the line when I was installing wheels as these cars had steel wheels that were heavy AF.

I'm interested to see how this unfolds, but can see it go either way.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
The reason for the microchip shortage is the government has placed them all in the covid vaccines so they can track us!!!
Uh oh, I see this will go off the rails soon enough,🤦🏼‍♂️😉

Clint

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Something to think about, Dodge, Ford, GM have the volume to justify continuing the building. How much volume does the Titan generate to justify continuing manufacturing? If Nissan can make more money churning out Armadas (if built in the same plant -- although I understand they're made in Japan) then it makes more financial sense. You have to look at it from a point of volume. If Nissan only has 6 months worth of work for 1 year of Titan manufacturing, that's 6 months that a plant may be idle. If Nissan builds other vehicles at the same plant, that's more variation that they need to account for.

Having worked at a plant, I can tell you that the more variation from vehicle to vehicle that has to be built, the more prone to errors you are. I used to hate when I'd see a cop car/taxi cab coming down the line when I was installing wheels as these cars had steel wheels that were heavy AF.

I'm interested to see how this unfolds, but can see it go either way.
I may be wrong but doesn't Nissan make several different vehicles at it's Canton plant??

May be the reason for the Titans occasional quirks.. The factory worker at some point realizes “Oh… Forgot we are assembling Titan now and not Altimas!!”

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I may be wrong but doesn't Nissan make several different vehicles at it's Canton plant??

May be the reason for the Titans occasional quirks.. The factory worker at some point realizes “Oh… Forgot we are assembling Titan now and not Altimas!!”
Yeah, I was reading at some of what they build out there, they actually build frontiers at that same plant, which seems kind of odd. With GM, they used their plants to build similar vehicles. I was there when they built the Cadillac Deville/Buick Roadmaster/Chevy Caprice/Chevy Impala SS. You should've seen some of the crazy colors we'd have for the Cadillac, it was a very interesting blueish purple. I don't think that color was available in the U.S. Someone told me that those Cadillacs were slated for sale in some middle eastern country.

Nissan having such variation with the plant, that can't be good for QC. I found this video online, and here's a list of what they produce, which is way too much variation, IMO.

Altima, Armada, NV Cargo Van, NV Passenger Van, Murano, Titan King Cab and Crew Cab and the Frontier King Cab and Crew Cab

·
Registered
275 Posts
The ALTIMA is made in Smyrna, TN.

Nissan having such variation with the plant, that can't be good for QC. I found this video online, and here's a list of what they produce, which is way too much variation, IMO.

Altima, Armada, NV Cargo Van, NV Passenger Van, Murano, Titan King Cab and Crew Cab and the Frontier King Cab and Crew Cab

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The ALTIMA is made in Smyrna, TN.
I wonder why that website I went to showed the Altima being made in MS. Maybe the Altima was made there at one point? I kinda didn't think it was made in the same plant as the tooling would be a nightmare. It's bad enough if they build the Frontier on the same line as the Titan. I heard that they share the same transmission, which is a little disappointing, as we're either getting a transmission that's not good enough for the Titan, or too good for the Frontier.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
The two vehicles aren't technically built on the same line. There are likely multiple "lines" in that plant, but having not toured it, I can't say for sure. Most likely it's built on cells producing certain kinds and types of parts, and one or several main assembly lines which are fed by the cells to create a finished vehicle. For example, you see the body panel stamping cell and the paint cell in the video, and you see the body assembly cell as well. All these feed the end of the chassis assembly cell, at the end of which a finished vehicle rolls of the line. But even if Nissan has a single production line (one end-to-end pathway), I'm guessing based on them having their own version of lean manufacturing, similar to the Toyota Way but tailored based on Nissan's history, they use as close to SMED (single-minute-exchange-of-dies) changeover as possible, and thus the line is reset to produce one vehicle over another quickly and efficiently, with minimal downtime for changeovers. The vehicle assembly is similar enough, and visual organization ensures the technicians have a clear picture of what they should do and the tools are calibrated for it. This is a common practice in the Japanese manufacturing system, and it's part of how they became and stay global leaders in auto production.

According to NissanUSA (who ought to know), the following models are finished at these plants:
Smyrna, TN: Altima, Maxima, LEAF, Pathfinder, and Rogue
Canton, MS: Altima, Frontier, Murano, NV Cargo, TITAN and TITAN XD
Decherd Powertrain Plant: Assembles engines for Rogue, Altima, TITAN, Armada and e-moter assembly for the LEAF

Everything else is made ex-US, which primarily means Mexico or Japan for Nissan.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think its BS but if for some reason they do discontinue it and Nissan announces it then mine is getting sold. They'll be worth absolutely nothing like TitanSSoul's beloved GTO after Pontiac kicked the bucket :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think its BS but if for some reason they do discontinue it and Nissan announces it then mine is getting sold. They'll be worth absolutely nothing like TitanSSoul's beloved GTO after Pontiac kicked the bucket :ROFLMAO:
If you let the market dictate the value of the vehicle then you probably bought the wrong vehicle. I actually do miss my old GTO, but when gas prices got to $5.00 a gallon and I relied on my vehicle for commuting, it was time to let that thing go. A company killing off a model doesn't necessarily mean it's going to tank. I figure all truck manufacturers go electric or FI-V6, there's going to be some pretty decent demand for a good old fashioned V8. I'll put mine on the market for $75,000 and post about it in here for your spite. :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Definitely made me consider selling mine until I looked a what I had to pay for a new truck. Lucky if you can get a nice truck for less than 60k.

Reactions: busemans
21 - 40 of 55 Posts