Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 816 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. This is becoming a well known issue now. I go in this Wednesday for my diagnosis.

Some of you are getting a long block replacement, some of you are getting short block replacement, some are being told that their engine isn't going to be replaced until Nissan has a fix.

So does Nissan have a fix? Anything posted publicly by Nissan about this issue?

I really don't want to be told that they will replace my engine only to have the problem come back again because an engine of the same design will be put back in.

It's bad enough to be replaced once even worse if it has to happen twice. In these situations, the vehicle will never be the same again. Guaranteed there will be fitment problems, rattle problems and other mechanical issues that will show up later on.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I for one would be very interested in knowing what kind of diagnosis is done on your truck's engine. With me, the only diagnosis done was the service manager coming out and listening to my engine as it knocked away.

I am one that Nissan Canada has decided to send a short block engine. The Nissan Canada Customer Care Supervisor that I was talking with said that Nissan Tech had determined that the knocking problem is confined to the short block and they have redesigned the short block to eliminate the knocking "forever". That is why I'm getting the short block as all the rest of the components are OK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok guys..I have a 2017 Titan Pro4x with the engine knock. At first late last fall the dealer said they were not sure what it was. It has become louder over the winter. My buddy has the same truck ...I read one post on here about the #7 cylinder being bad causing knocking. He took his to the dealer...now has an engine on order. I called my dealer and they confirmed the issue with #7 cylinder. The issue is that it wasn't honed properly. My truck goes in April 29 for an official diagnosis. It seems early builds are effected. Mine was built Nov 29/16.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I for one would be very interested in knowing what kind of diagnosis is done on your truck's engine. With me, the only diagnosis done was the service manager coming out and listening to my engine as it knocked away.

I am one that Nissan Canada has decided to send a short block engine. The Nissan Canada Customer Care Supervisor that I was talking with said that Nissan Tech had determined that the knocking problem is confined to the short block and they have redesigned the short block to eliminate the knocking "forever". That is why I'm getting the short block as all the rest of the components are OK
I go in at 3:30 today. Should have something to report back after 5pm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok guys..I have a 2017 Titan Pro4x with the engine knock. At first late last fall the dealer said they were not sure what it was. It has become louder over the winter. My buddy has the same truck ...I read one post on here about the [URL=https://www.titantalk.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 [/URL] cylinder being bad causing knocking. He took his to the dealer...now has an engine on order. I called my dealer and they confirmed the issue with [URL=https://www.titantalk.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 [/URL] cylinder. The issue is that it wasn't honed properly. My truck goes in April 29 for an official diagnosis. It seems early builds are effected. Mine was built Nov 29/16.
o.k. Somebody please educate me on this.....in an engine plant, how many "stations" are there to "hone" the cylinders? Are we talking perhaps 10 and 1 of them was consistently misaligned so that the #7 cylinder was messed up? Which then turns this into a lottery whether you have an affected unit or not? Or are there fewer stations which would raise everyone's concern? NISSAN has to have an idea of the number of affected units... at some point that misalignment was corrected. As someone else suggested, I don't think your build date matters a bit with this.....they probably prepared engine blocks and pulled them off a rack when they were needed which probably explains the wide assembly date range of the affected units.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a 2017 Titan SV that developed the engine knocking about 3-4 weeks ago around 31000 miles. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and mentioned it to the service manager. (He didn't believe me at first) He called me an hour later and let me know I definitely had a problem. They put a camera down inside one of the cylinders (not sure which one) and found scoring on the walls. I've now been without my Titan for almost 2 weeks while it waits for a new long block. I've been told it will be released for shipping to the dealership on April 25th. By then it will be almost a month without the truck. Its all covered under warrantee but I worry just like others in this thread that the problem has not been contained yet by Nissan.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Who knows what caused it...my buddy I told about it checked his father inlaws Titan. It was built July of 17and he doesn't have the issue. My dealership isn't saying much about it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I own a 2017 Titan SV that developed the engine knocking about 3-4 weeks ago around 31000 miles. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and mentioned it to the service manager. (He didn't believe me at first) He called me an hour later and let me know I definitely had a problem. They put a camera down inside one of the cylinders (not sure which one) and found scoring on the walls. I've now been without my Titan for almost 2 weeks while it waits for a new long block. I've been told it will be released for shipping to the dealership on April 25th. By then it will be almost a month without the truck. Its all covered under warrantee but I worry just like others in this thread that the problem has not been contained yet by Nissan.
Helluva 1st post … sorry it took a major problem to find and sign up on Titantalk !

31k miles and just started making noise … are you in a cold climate too ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Helluva 1st post … sorry it took a major problem to find and sign up on Titantalk !

31k miles and just started making noise … are you in a cold climate too ?
Yes, I'm in Western NY and its cold here from late December through early April. Had the truck through winter 2018 with no problems. Started knocking about 4 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer confirmed the knocking on mine tonight. Took video of the sound and has to send it into Nissan for their review before further action can be taken.

Mechanic told me that they have replaced 2 motors already and they were both long blocks and that they are an updated engine design.

They gave me a loaner car (2019 Frontier) that is being paid for by Nissan.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Glad Nissan is stepping up..

I wonder what they will do for those of us who live down south.. If the issue doesnt affect warm climate Titans I would be ok with a 10yr 150 extended warranty on the engine...

Hmmm.. cant visit friends up north in winter without risking engine issues...

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2017 P4X had the knock, I was told by the service department that it was the automatic shutters and they needed re-calibrated, Nissan bought that truck back for other reasons.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad Nissan is stepping up..

I wonder what they will do for those of us who live down south.. If the issue doesnt affect warm climate Titans I would be ok with a 10yr 150 extended warranty on the engine...

Hmmm.. cant visit friends up north in winter without risking engine issues...
You know...I'm not really sure what being in the cold climate areas has to do with any of this, but that seems to be the only constant so far.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cold start up is probably harder on the engine than if it were in a warmer climate, slow oil flow initially maybe?
We did have a particularly nasty winter this year so I'm just glad mine sits mostly in a heated garage. (-30's can go to hell)

Hope they take good care of you...

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
With 0-20 synthetic oil, it should flow pretty well I’d think. Time will tell, I’m at 18,000 miles and going to Florida in two weeks so that’ll be a 2500 mile trek.

Clint

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer called me this afternoon. New long block engine coming. Will be done next week Friday or early the following week.

My 2019 Nissan Frontier loaner is on their dime.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dealer called me this afternoon. New long block engine coming. Will be done next week Friday or early the following week.

When they did mine, I dropped it off at 8AM Thursday and I had it back 4PM Friday

·
Registered
576 Posts

When was your engine ordered ???

I don't see how you're getting a long block and I'm getting a short block - maybe it's because you live in the USA and I'm in Canada and Nissan Canada is too cheap to send out long blocks

1 - 20 of 816 Posts