Nissan Titan Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2044 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
What I really want to know is if the replaced "short engine assembly" actually fixed the problem...
Before my warranty is up!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,003
Unknown at this point. I wanna say that Nissan are still trying to make a case for it in the US. There is a Navara based X-Terra in the EU I believe. It looks nice but it is not what a US Frontier based Xterra would be capable of. The question is, would enough people buy it to justify its development?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All Nissan needs to do is pay attention. Jeep Grand Cherokee...New Ford Bronco just hit the market...4runner...There is a case for it.

For some reason though Nissan thinks it needs three SUV's that look all the same and are roughly the same size. Rogue, Murano and Pathfinder.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,004
What I really want to know is if the replaced "short engine assembly" actually fixed the problem...
Before my warranty is up!
It's a wait and see game.

My replacement was the long block at 15,000 miles. I now have 56,000 miles. So far so good.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All Nissan needs to do is pay attention. Jeep Grand Cherokee...New Ford Bronco just hit the market...4runner...There is a case for it.

For some reason though Nissan thinks it needs three SUV's that look all the same and are roughly the same size. Rogue, Murano and Pathfinder.
Remember Nissan doesn’t have the deep pockets they used to.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,006
Remember Nissan doesn’t have the deep pockets they used to.

Yeah...they lack a little in the marketing department. The Rogue is their bread and butter right now. Everything else including the Titan are low sales volume vehicles.

With the gas mileage of the Rogue (I used to have one- 2018 - 32-33mpg) and interior cargo space...IMO they really are wasting their time with the Murano and Pathfinder.

The new Frontier looks great, but they will probably flop on marketing it, just like they have with the Titan, and the Tacoma will continue to beat it down. Personally I think the new Frontier looks way better than the Tacoma.

·
Registered
27 Posts
New frontier looks a lot like the Tacoma. I’m sort of curious who the target market of the vehicle was. You’ll never get taco owners to jump ship. It doesn’t appear to be much more performance oriented than the other midsize pickups. I get that it was due for a refresh, but unless they continue to offer a solid base model for fleet sales this new frontier isn’t going to sell any more units than the previous ones did. Just my opinion. The Titan is a fine truck, but it’s sorta the same thing. They sell 50k units a year give or take and the way they (dont) try to lead the industry in something/anything isn’t going to improve that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It’s too bad really. It is a very good truck. If Nissan were to stick other engine options in it and promote the hell out of it, it would sell in bigger numbers. The investment to make this truck a player in this space is minimal compared to what they could make off of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up a 17 HD 4×4 S trim single cab currently sitting at about 26500 miles. Had it for 2 weeks. Haven't really had a cold morning to start it since its spring.
Now I read this thread and I'm scared to death because I don't know if I can trust either of the local stealers in NW Arkansas and I don't like the idea that I need to start piling on the miles at my expense to avoid having an engine develop a knock after the warranty times out. I wasn't planning on long trips or lots of short local trips since we have a Honda good for 33 mpg. I just wanted a good heavy duty 4×4 for when I needed to haul stuff and I've had an 84 and a 2001 Nissan truck that seemed pretty bulletproof.
Now, I think I hear a faint pinging but perhaps it's the injectors or I'm imagining all together.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,229 Posts
Probably imagining. The fuel injection and valve timing is loud on these trucks so they sound like diesels

The videos of the knock I have seen shows it loud, like a rod knocking. A solid metal think like I have always heard engine knocks to sound.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just picked up a 17 HD 4×4 S trim single cab currently sitting at about 26500 miles. Had it for 2 weeks. Haven't really had a cold morning to start it since its spring.
Now I read this thread and I'm scared to death because I don't know if I can trust either of the local stealers in NW Arkansas and I don't like the idea that I need to start piling on the miles at my expense to avoid having an engine develop a knock after the warranty times out. I wasn't planning on long trips or lots of short local trips since we have a Honda good for 33 mpg. I just wanted a good heavy duty 4×4 for when I needed to haul stuff and I've had an 84 and a 2001 Nissan truck that seemed pretty bulletproof.
Now, I think I hear a faint pinging but perhaps it's the injectors or I'm imagining all together.
You will hear it more when the engine is cold. the noise somewhat gets lessen when hot. Depending on the gravity. Record your engine with an overnight cold start and post it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alright. I finally uploaded a clip to YouTube. I didn’t want to do it but hopefully this helps. Knock video
Get it checked.
It is the exact same sound as mine before I went in to have is checked out.

the noise will differ if you listen on the passenger side. Record both sides you will notice the difference. odd # cylinders are driver side and 7 is the main issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm in the middle of a bazillion things and worrying about this truck isn't something I need.

I'm going to drive it for a few weeks. From what I've read here, it's hard telling weather or not they truly fixed the issue due to the lack of transparency and overall handling of this situation by Nissan.
I hope I didn"t make a mistake buying it. It has about 22 months of powertrain and I have an extended that covers up to 5 years or 100000 on pretty much anything mechanical or electrical.
Personally, I believe that they should have either recalled every vehicle for inspection and remedied any effected. As well, they need to extend the warranties or something. This is b s and will cost them in the long run if they dont.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm in the middle of a bazillion things and worrying about this truck isn't something I need.

I'm going to drive it for a few weeks. From what I've read here, it's hard telling weather or not they truly fixed the issue due to the lack of transparency and overall handling of this situation by Nissan.
I hope I didn"t make a mistake buying it. It has about 22 months of powertrain and I have an extended that covers up to 5 years or 100000 on pretty much anything mechanical or electrical.
Personally, I believe that they should have either recalled every vehicle for inspection and remedied any effected. As well, they need to extend the warranties or something. This is b s and will cost them in the long run if they dont.
I wouldn’t get worked up about it. They will replace it if you have the knock. Also, I have yet to hear about catastrophic engine failures that renders the truck undriveable. The truck can actually go fairly long with the knock in place. That being said. Nissan have pretty much stood behind the truck and replaced the engines. It is the dealership that you have to worry about. A good one will get it done in three days. A bad one will try to tell you there isn’t a knock. Bring it in and have them borescope it.

·
Registered
61 Posts

just be sure to have it checked before the end of warranty.
the engine won’t fail it will start to burn oil enventually when its really bad. My truck was diagnosed with the issue by the dealer in may last year and the engine was replaced in september, and I had noticed this during the winter..I asked the dealer if it was safe to tow my trailer in the meantime and they said yes no problem.

from what I read in this knock issue thread it seems at first they were replacing with long blocks and people had the issue again, this was at the begining, I have not read anyone with the short block (TBS NTB19-057(a)) replacement complain about the issue arising again... then again time will tell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get it checked.
It is the exact same sound as mine before I went in to have is checked out.

the noise will differ if you listen on the passenger side. Record both sides you will notice the difference. odd # cylinders are driver side and 7 is the main issue.
No worries for me I know it’s the knock. Dealership takes possession tomorrow I was just posting to help folks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
No worries for me I know it’s the knock. Dealership takes possession tomorrow I was just posting to help folks.
Are you getting a long block or a short block?

2001 - 2020 of 2044 Posts