Nissan Titan Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2044 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
just be sure to have it checked before the end of warranty.
the engine won’t fail it will start to burn oil enventually when its really bad. My truck was diagnosed with the issue by the dealer in may last year and the engine was replaced in september, and I had noticed this during the winter..I asked the dealer if it was safe to tow my trailer in the meantime and they said yes no problem.

from what I read in this knock issue thread it seems at first they were replacing with long blocks and people had the issue again, this was at the begining, I have not read anyone with the short block (TBS NTB19-057(a)) replacement complain about the issue arising again... then again time will tell.
What I don't understand is if someone drives their vehicle until it's making about the worst racket imaginable and I would assume is pumping metal particles throughout the top half of the engine, how can they get by with just a short block? As well, let's just say your engine fails just inside the 100,000 mile window. What, you get a brand new bottom half on a 100,000 mile top half that's most likely compromised from metal particulates?
That doesn't seem right.
Another thing I can see coming. A class action lawsuit because a whole lot of people are losing resale value if people are getting wind of this serious defect.
I suspect the problem is more widespread and driving habits and location have brought the problem to the surface earlier for some.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you getting a long block or a short block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll have to update the thread when I find out what they’ll do. I scheduled my drop off about a month ago so I haven’t really had a chance to discuss anything with the dealer in depth. I chose the dealer I purchased from and not the closest one just due to customer service issues so tomorrow will be my first in depth discussion outside of my last phone call with them. I’ll post what I find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rare you say? I had an 18PR that had the knock. They replaced it. The knock came back. They then bought my truck back and gave me a 2019PR(current truck). The 2019 had the knock and was long block replaced. At about 10k miles on the new engine I am hearing noises that sound like a knock, but I haven’t said anything to my dealer yet. If the replaced engine in my 2019 has a knock that makes for 4 engines that I have had that will have had the knock. Rare you say?...I don’t think it’s rare at all. But, I love the truck and know I can get another engine if it is in fact the knock.

Guys mine is a 2021 with 1400 miles on it. I think it happens more times then none, why else do they take so long to fix the issue.

The block was ordered (last Friday) and is 8 days out, this puts them at 31 days on the 9th. If the block was ordered Friday, I say Monday being the first day, with 8 working days would put the block on the on their docks on the 14th. Not sure how long it would take them to swap it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guys mine is a 2021 with 1400 miles on it. I think it happens more times then none, why else do they take so long to fix the issue.

The block was ordered (last Friday) and is 8 days out, this puts them at 31 days on the 9th. If the block was ordered Friday, I say Monday being the first day, with 8 working days would put the block on the on their docks on the 14th. Not sure how long it would take them to swap it out.
I sincerely hope any engine issues after 2020 are a fluke and not related to the TSB. I have about 26500 and and 22 months on my warranty remaining. I'd like to think they know for sure what's causing the failure and a permanent remedy by now but I'm skeptical. This is insanity. It's a total crap shoot.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,228 Posts
i got some time on mine still so since they just changed the engine in jan of 21, i will let you guys know as the time and miles run on. over 5k miles on the new engine and still good. about to do first 5k mile oil change after the original 1200 miles oil change.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve
21 Posts
I always get nervous reading this thread, we have the 2019 PR, with about 13,500 KMs on it. I don't hear a knock, sometimes I think I am hearing things and listen really close. How discernable is the knocking sound? What should I listen for, or is there anything else noticeable? I mean, we've got 4.5 years and 145,000 KMs of warranty left, but want to make sure i am on top of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can look back a couple pages and find video links, or you can YouTube it. You’ll find what you’re looking for either way. The direct injection is loud on the Titan, so if you’re tuned in to clicks and clatter then that’s what you’re going to hear. The knock is markedly louder and I would describe it as a metal clank more than anything. The DI is a rapid noise that sounds like pop can tabs in an air conditioner. Since the DI services 8 cylinders and the knock should be coming from 1 or 2 cylinders it will be a slower noise overall.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I always get nervous reading this thread, we have the 2019 PR, with about 13,500 KMs on it. I don't hear a knock, sometimes I think I am hearing things and listen really close. How discernable is the knocking sound? What should I listen for, or is there anything else noticeable? I mean, we've got 4.5 years and 145,000 KMs of warranty left, but want to make sure i am on top of it.
Best way to check is after engine is Fully warmed up after being driven 5 to 10 miles. Park it and turn off ac so engine idles lower. Listen near the drivers side front wheel well. If you have the issue there will be a distinct deep knock..

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,228 Posts
it always sounds like someone hitting a hammer on a steel beam, to me, when i hear a rod knock. how many times i have heard it, you don't want to know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ll have to update the thread when I find out what they’ll do. I scheduled my drop off about a month ago so I haven’t really had a chance to discuss anything with the dealer in depth. I chose the dealer I purchased from and not the closest one just due to customer service issues so tomorrow will be my first in depth discussion outside of my last phone call with them. I’ll post what I find out.
So I just got off the phone. The dealership followed TSB protocol and found cylinder 7 is scored. They submitted it to claims Monday. They got approval already yesterday for short block replacement. He said they would rather do long block since it’s a bigger pain and time suck to so short, but at this time they’re being told short block is what they get. He said it would be about a week to get the motor parts and about another week to get the swap done. So that’s the story. I was offered a courtesy car but declined since I have an extra at home but they have been pleasant to deal with. It’s known well enough now it seems like.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,031
Best way to check is after engine is Fully warmed up after being driven 5 to 10 miles. Park it and turn off ac so engine idles lower. Listen near the drivers side front wheel well. If you have the issue there will be a distinct deep knock..
I had just the opposite experience. It would be more noticeable on cold start and then get quieter after the engine warmed up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently joined this forum and am now terrified. Is this something the dealer looks at when they do the what ever point inspection? Mine came with a bunch of free oil changes and they do that inspection each time. I have a 2018 with 54k.

That’s underneath the driver side.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,033
I recently joined this forum and am now terrified. Is this something the dealer looks at when they do the what ever point inspection? Mine came with a bunch of free oil changes and they do that inspection each time. I have a 2018 with 54k.

That’s underneath the driver side.
Yup. You have the knock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
All Nissan needs to do is pay attention. Jeep Grand Cherokee...New Ford Bronco just hit the market...4runner...There is a case for it.

For some reason though Nissan thinks it needs three SUV's that look all the same and are roughly the same size. Rogue, Murano and Pathfinder.
Sadly I think Nissan is hung up on making any vehicle they can put the CVT in they still own 49% of that company I think

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had total of 3 nissan co cars. x2 Armadas and x1 QX80. 2018 and 2019's. The 2019 was outside TSB. They all knock in reverse on cold start. Knock mostly fades when warmed up. The dealerships will not do anything unless it starts knocking in idle like videos above at least in DFW. The solution seems to be either not buy Nissan/Infiniti with the VK56 engine period or get an extended warranty and forget about it - until it starts knocking in idle where no one can deny its not.

I would personally not own a Nissan Co. VK56 engine car outside warranty.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,228 Posts
that is what i am worried about. my wife and i bought our truck to keep for a long time. i hope the recently swapped motor does not knock but who knows if it will stay safe or knock once its outside warranty.

its making me plan on getting another new truck that's not got engine knock issues in a year or two. i really didn't want to do that but there is not way i could afford to replace the engine on my own at 16k. i would actually have to physically do the swap on my own and then hope the new engine didn't knock, if i could find one for a decent price.

and i am not at all interested in doing a motor swap on a truck, myself. that's a lot of wrench turning and the wrists don't like bending that way anymore so it would hurt to have to do this swap in the garage at the house. those days are done in my book. it took me a week to swap the motor in my Sonoma when it blew two years ago and that's a tiny little 4 cylinder with tons of room. a week and lots of aleve.

i am just going to keep on the forum and see how the newer year titans are doing as time goes on. hopefully the 22 or 23 models don't get to the knock point so i can just swap to a newer model and still have a full v8 without all the cylinder deactivation and junk like that.

its that or go back to a frontier or maaaaaybe a ranger since all the full size trucks have trouble. i don't like timing belts and the small ecoboosts have timing belts that require changing at 100k so that sucks on those.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've had total of 3 nissan co cars. x2 Armadas and x1 QX80. 2018 and 2019's. The 2019 was outside TSB. They all knock in reverse on cold start. Knock mostly fades when warmed up. The dealerships will not do anything unless it starts knocking in idle like videos above at least in DFW. The solution seems to be either not buy Nissan/Infiniti with the VK56 engine period or get an extended warranty and forget about it - until it starts knocking in idle where no one can deny its not.

I would personally not own a Nissan Co. VK56 engine car outside warranty.
These motors both 1st and second gen will knock to a degree when cold and during warm up.. My 04’ Titan did it..when u are driving the engine will be quite noisy until it warms..especially in cold weather..

It’s the knock at idle when the engine is fully warmed up is the telltale sign the cylinder is damaged...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Add me to the list. I noticed the knock a couple of months ago and got the dealer to take a peek when I had it in for an oil change last week. Scoring found on the cylinder wall of #7. I'm on the list for a short block replacement and I'm looking at early June for the replacement. They are doing one a week at my dealership. Quick math tells me there are at least 9 in the que for an engine at my dealership.

2018 Pro4x, with a 05/18 build date. 21000km (13000 miles)

2021 - 2040 of 2044 Posts