Nissan Titan Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2169 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has anyone ever received an answer as to whether they FOR SURE fixed the knock issues on the 20-21 and up or is it a wait and see scenario???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all, I'm in the market for a '21 P4X. To those of you who've experienced the engine knocking, would you recommend looking at a different truck? I'm currently driving an '04 Infiniti G35, and I'm a big Nissan fan. The Titan would be my ideal choice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ,

My 2017 Titan Pro4x is heading in for its short block replacement so I have a couple additional questions to guys who went through this. With the engine out did anyone take advantage of opting in for any more maintenance services? My truck is at 134000km ( 83000 miles) wondering if its worth doing items like the timing chain with the engine out ? or any top end stuff? or any other advice would be greath

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hey ,

My 2017 Titan Pro4x is heading in for its short block replacement so I have a couple additional questions to guys who went through this. With the engine out did anyone take advantage of opting in for any more maintenance services? My truck is at 134000km ( 83000 miles) wondering if its worth doing items like the timing chain with the engine out ? or any top end stuff? or any other advice would be greath

Thanks for the advice.
I would have them clean carbon off the intake valves... Timing chain should be good for another 200k...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone have any real life anecdotes about trading off a low mileage vehicle after an engine replacement? Sort of wondering what to expect because I’m sure it’ll come up at some point. Halfways tempted to jump on the 0% Ram deal right now. The dealer that is working on my Titan also owns the ram dealership across the parking lot lol.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Anyone have any real life anecdotes about trading off a low mileage vehicle after an engine replacement? Sort of wondering what to expect because I’m sure it’ll come up at some point. Halfways tempted to jump on the 0% Ram deal right now. The dealer that is working on my Titan also owns the ram dealership across the parking lot lol.
Dude u will spend more time at the dealer with a Ram than any Titan out there...

I was tempted as they are beautiful trucks but they still having all kinds of various issues.. plus the dealer service is horrendous...

Visit their forums and u will see...

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,464 Posts
@eneq

I would still go with it. You get a loaner if they have to do work on your truck so you won't be out a vehicle. And it's all covered work so no money out of your pocket

@BertnErnie
And the engine swap doesn't show up on carfax, someone already had their swapped and traded to a newer model. They checked the carfax on their old one and no mention of engine swap

·
Registered
28 Posts
Firstly, apologies for starting a fresh thread on "Engine Knock " ( you can see my issue/thread/videos here : 2018 Titan PR - the Knock ?? )

So, despite the overwhelming evidence that says I have the "knock", ive been clinging to the hope that its just and A/C compressor issue or some other auxiliary pulley making the racket. However today I stopped in at my neighbour's on the way into town (he doesnt know about my issue), as I pull in to his driveway, he looks at the front of my truck and says in all seriousness "it that a Diesel ?"

"F&#ck". I think to myself, there it is, that seals the deal for me. Im 100% convinced now that ill get the news on Wednesday that Ill be getting the Short Block.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Firstly, apologies for starting a fresh thread on "Engine Knock " ( you can see my issue/thread/videos here : 2018 Titan PR - the Knock ?? )

So, despite the overwhelming evidence that says I have the "knock", ive been clinging to the hope that its just and A/C compressor issue or some other auxiliary pulley making the racket. However today I stopped in at my neighbour's on the way into town (he doesnt know about my issue), as I pull in to his driveway, he looks at the front of my truck and says in all seriousness "it that a Diesel ?"

"F&#ck". I think to myself, there it is, that seals the deal for me. Im 100% convinced now that ill get the news on Wednesday that Ill be getting the Short Block.
Lol so uncanny that so many people have that exact same experience. It really isn’t much to worry about though. It’s time away from the truck which sucks, but by the looks of things most dealers are so well aware of what’s happening now and are taking care of it very rapidly. The ones that aren’t are just simply not good dealers. I dealt with one, which is why my truck is 2.5 hrs away from me and not 45mins.

edit: both videos it is very evident that you have the knock. Don’t mistake light ticking and chatter for a knock. If you listen on both videos the lower end noise is very clear and it’s a low end clunk or clank. Especially video one after the rpms come down from startup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yea, there is no doubt in my mind now. Just hope its fixed right the first time and it doesnt re-occur. I bought this truck just before I retired, it was intended to be here for the long haul (so to speak), I had no plans to trade a truck every 2 years like I used to when I was working.

Buying anything new these days is a crap shoot. I was always a RAM guy, then I went to Chevy for one try at a Silverado because my RAM dealer pissed me off when we were trying to make a deal (huge mistake, what a POS that Chev was, couldn't wait to get rid of it). Then went back to RAM to try to deal again, no go, so went to Nissan. And....I love my Titan, just love it, so this really makes me sick. Im very OCD about my stuff and the thought of my baby being torn apart will keep me awake at night for sure. But....at least if they sort it out properly it will be good again, its good that Nissan are addressing the issue.

Stay tuned for the April 20th diagnosis.

·
Registered
74 Posts

So... do you have diesel or not ?

kidding aside, what you described, I had a friend do the same thing, he mentionned that it sounded like a diesel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yea, there is no doubt in my mind now. Just hope its fixed right the first time and it doesnt re-occur. I bought this truck just before I retired, it was intended to be here for the long haul (so to speak), I had no plans to trade a truck every 2 years like I used to when I was working.

Buying anything new these days is a crap shoot. I was always a RAM guy, then I went to Chevy for one try at a Silverado because my RAM dealer pissed me off when we were trying to make a deal (huge mistake, what a POS that Chev was, couldn't wait to get rid of it). Then went back to RAM to try to deal again, no go, so went to Nissan. And....I love my Titan, just love it, so this really makes me sick. Im very OCD about my stuff and the thought of my baby being torn apart will keep me awake at night for sure. But....at least if they sort it out properly it will be good again, its good that Nissan are addressing the issue.

Stay tuned for the April 20th diagnosis.
Don’t worry the technicians changing the engine had good practice. When your turn comes its going to be fine. I am very much like you, I also do all maintenance myself.

they actually test drove the truck for 50km after the short block replacement. not sure if its standard but it gave me confidence that they did a good job. Since then no issues on the engine, its running like new. The only issue you will probably have is they lose some bolts on the accesories they remove, like front lips and so forth... might be a different guy (the new guy) that removes the bumper,etc...
so i recommend you do a quick visual inspection on missing screw/bolts or half broken plastic clip holding things, I did and found 2 or 3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yea, im pretty OCD, my truck will be as clean as new when it goes in. ill video every part of the truck I can before hand and will go over it with a fine tooth comb once its done.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hey all, I'm in the market for a '21 P4X. To those of you who've experienced the engine knocking, would you recommend looking at a different truck? I'm currently driving an '04 Infiniti G35, and I'm a big Nissan fan. The Titan would be my ideal choice. Thanks.
I would consider this the Titan has to be one of the most scrutinized vehicles by any manufacturer by now the attention that truck is probably getting from Nissan to make sure nothing else goes wrong would give me great satisfaction. Also this engine knock thing no one said the truck let them sit and so many drove and are driving it with the scoring. I compare this to such engines as the 225 slant 6 dodge or 318 or a 289 Chevy or 282 Ford (think that’s right). You could pour sand in this engine and it would still run is the old saying. I would have no doubts buying a 2021 Titan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I drove my knocking 18’ Armada loaded down all over the country, towed, city short trip driving. It was a beast and aside from knock no other issues..

Traded it at almost 50k for a 21’ Armada...

I am curious as to how long the motors will last with the knock. I never burned a drop of oil nor did the knock seem to get any louder...

2041 - 2060 of 2169 Posts