Nissan Titan Forum banner
2301 - 2320 of 2362 Posts

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
I have not seen anyone who said their swap showed up on Carfax. It's funny still, the gas tank swap showed up but not the engine swap.

Oh well, that is why I take Carfax with a grain of salt. But I would take Nissan any day of the week after how they handled this and my truck. Well, any Nissan with a standard or a non-cvt transmission.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
So........0ur 17pro 4x began acting up,idle jumping up and down etc, dealer says they found a mouse nest deep in the intake..they cleaned it up,fixed some wiring and replaced the altinator, they had it 3 weeks,said shes all good,driving for a week now the old check engine light is on..borrowed code reader says misfire in good old cylinder 7...
Mine was doing the idle down issue so much the check light would come on for low oil pressure.

So.... If yours ends being the same as mine, I got a brand spanking new engine, not a short or long block. Maybe you will too

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine was doing the idle down issue so much the check light would come on for low oil pressure.

So.... If yours ends being the same as mine, I got a brand spanking new engine, not a short or long block. Maybe you will too
it was one year ago we got the longblock,the summer prior the botched short block,if it needs a 4th engine..not sure weather 2 laugh or cry,it goes back in on monday,summers are not much fun with no truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A Carfax is supposed to show all service records and accidents! Years ago, my wife bought a 2007 H3 Hummer. A few months after she bought it a woman backed out too far smashing her front end up. Took it to the body shop to get it repaired! A place our family has done business with for many years. They called and asked us to come down to the shop. Showed us damage from another accident to the rear end and rear quarter of the vehicle. The vehicle had less than 10 miles on it when purchased! So the dealership or GM hid a major accident. Fixed the vehicle and sold it as new! But heaven forbid your in a slight fender bender and there's a police report that gives you a bad CarFax.

My question to you! Is what makes the difference of you having a little accident. Or if Nissan swaps a motor! Regardless of how you look at it both incidents should show up on a Carfax if the system is on the up and up. A good body shop is to be certified by the manufacturer to repair your vehicle back to OEM specs. Just like any dealer tasked with any warranted or manufacturer repair. So I question the validity of what constitutes a certified vehicle as well as a clean Carfax.

These dealers can't have it both ways! A swapped motor or a little fender bender grants them the opportunity to negate the value of your vehicle. That diminished value only comes out of the pocket of the buyer. The owner didn't build the damn thing! So at the very least I'd want two years/24 months of extended warranty. Or be offered to buy the truck back! GM stepped up and gave us a new Hummer. Lip marks on my butt wouldn't cut it for me knowing you'll be the one who will get screwed in the end.

Seems to me there's a problem with the number 7 cylinder. Nissan is well aware of it! I would be on the phone with a Nissan Rep.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have not seen anyone who said their swap showed up on Carfax. It's funny still, the gas tank swap showed up but not the engine swap.

Oh well, that is why I take Carfax with a grain of salt. But I would take Nissan any day of the week after how they handled this and my truck. Well, any Nissan with a standard or a non-cvt transmission.
Their hiding the fact they have a problem! Sorry, but that's unethical as hell! Okay hypocritically, you pull your Nissan into a convenience store parking spot and bump a metal pole. A cop sees it and writes up a report because you damaged the pole and the business wants you to pay for the damage.

Then I crush a deer with my Nissan at 45+/- miles per hour. No witnesses or police report! Our vehicles are both drivable and we both leave the scene. Yours has a little ding on the bumper, whereas my bumper is all messed up and the grill is smashed along with a headlight destroyed. We get our vehicles fixed!

We both go to a dealer to get a new buggy. Let say both of our Nissan's are the same year with roughly the same mileage. But your has a bad CarFax and mine doesn't! Yours had under a grand in repairs and mine was over $4,500.00. I bet I get more on my trade!

The same thing goes for a motor swap! Nissan isn't owning up to a problem, their not even putting it on the CarFax report. But the gas tank swap is listed? Sounds like a cover up to me! Show me the Carfax my ***! How can these dealers justify the Carfax report as a legitimate standard. Or what is a certified vehicle? It's a joke!

·
Registered
89 Posts
it was one year ago we got the longblock,the summer prior the botched short block,if it needs a 4th engine..not sure weather 2 laugh or cry,it goes back in on monday,summers are not much fun with no truck.
Tell them you want a Truck equipment like yours or better!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Seems as though Nissan know this is a really big deal and could kill the brand in North American. The fact that we have heard so many positive stories on how Nissan is stepping up shows they know the risk. They are doing this for a reason.

My dealer did not ask me any questions except if I wanted something to drink while I waited. Again, I felt like they were killing me with kindness.

Now, do they have to report the replacement on carfax. My OPINION is they do not haveto report. This is a new factory repair with new factory parts with factory techs doing the work. I think there could be a rational of not reporting. I will see if mine gets reported and let the group know. If it is reported to CF I am not worried. I'll keep this truck for awhile.
I have seen many Carfax reports when looking at used vehicles that just state “dealer service” then the mileage it occurred…’

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

I have seen a few in carfax reports… I would buy a Titan with a replaced short block any day.. Granted everything looks and sounds good under the hood..

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
If Nissan did the work, I would feel better than some shop in town doing it

·
Registered
120 Posts
If Nissan did the work, I would feel better than some shop in town doing it
Im not so sure anymore..really like the truck,simple things like replacing wallowed out screws on the oxygen sensor,its like they dont have decent screwdrivers in the shop? or the cost of a couple new screws will PUT them under?the young mech,that walked past us as we were picking up the truck looked like he hated his job....now we are dealing with code p0307,misfire on cylinder 7...............truck goes back tomorro..as said love the truck, but having some young oil change guy doing sloppy work aint cutting anymore,this is the 3rd engine..thanks for all for the good info here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
3rd engine? wow not the typical experience.
2nd was a short block? why was it replaced?

Mine was done once so far. Hope that is enough. people ask me thoughts about my truck. Well I say I love the truck. Would I buy again knowing I would need an engine replacement. No.

I made them replace the antenna after the SB replacement. No kid, you don't use pliers to take off the antenna. it makes teeth marks...

Wishing you better luck in the future.

·
Registered
120 Posts
3rd engine? wow not the typical experience.
2nd was a short block? why was it replaced?

Mine was done once so far. Hope that is enough. people ask me thoughts about my truck. Well I say I love the truck. Would I buy again knowing I would need an engine replacement. No.

I made them replace the antenna after the SB replacement. No kid, you don't use pliers to take off the antenna. it makes teeth marks...

Wishing you better luck in the future.
yes,second was a short block.they logged 99.5 hours working in it..but neglected to properly place some oil seals,so the oil pressure was out of whack,they simply set the idle higher to get a "better" oil pressure reading and called it good. along with missing and broken bolts etc,we gave up on that dealer.our new dealer approved a longblock right away,due to irreversable damage,that was one year ago. best not have the shop broom boy start wrenching on things.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good post and good to see the tech being transparent..
it sure dont look easy..i guess after doing a few,less spare parts are left found under the tool chest,after getting the all good,signed off , take yer truck home,dont ask how i know..Not painting all dealers with the same brush.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
it sure dont look easy..i guess after doing a few,less spare parts are left found under the tool chest,after getting the all good,signed off , take yer truck home,dont ask how i know..Not painting all dealers with the same brush.
Oh no… U have to trust your gut when it comes to the service department…

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,318 ·
Was at the Nissan dealer today. 6 Titans in for engine replacement. Yikes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Im not so sure anymore..really like the truck,simple things like replacing wallowed out screws on the oxygen sensor,its like they dont have decent screwdrivers in the shop? or the cost of a couple new screws will PUT them under?the young mech,that walked past us as we were picking up the truck looked like he hated his job....now we are dealing with code p0307,misfire on cylinder 7...............truck goes back tomorro..as said love the truck, but having some young oil change guy doing sloppy work aint cutting anymore,this is the 3rd engine..thanks for all for the good info here.
update,they said the battery was the problem,for throwing the good old misfire code..new battery 370 something canadian...drive for a week,same problem back,engine light back on,it never ends..

·
Registered
30 Posts
update,they said the battery was the problem,for throwing the good old misfire code..new battery 370 something canadian...drive for a week,same problem back,engine light back on,it never ends..
Wow man! I too am having problems with dealer out here in BC (Lower Mainland) I have already talked to someone at CANVAP so I will be filing a claim probably Wednesday. As I have a 2017 and have only till September 30 to file. This should not be happening! I bought a Truck in good faith from Nissan and now I am getting a runaround. First the Tech at the dealership who could not do a 30 minute job the first time forcing me to contact Nissan Canada and complain. And the second time around the tech hands me a 38 second video of the borescope cyl 7 and 16 seconds are nothing but a blur. And the scarring seen on the vid for all of less than 2 seconds, looks just like the scarring on Nissans engine knock bulletin. The tech then tells me that it's a vertical view when I know I am looking at something horizontally. Then the tech tells me he re stethoscope the engine and it all sounds the same. Which I responded "well does engine noise not travel through the whole engine echo" which the tech responded yea. Well then why bother stethoscope when one can take a 60 second clear vid of cyl 7 to be sure it's ok.?
Well I have emailed the Nissan rep twice since the borescope and phoned once leaving a message no response so time to file a claim with CANVAP as this is telling me the engine is bad. I did see a 2018 Titan for sale in Kamloops with about 60000 KM on the odd with a LIFETIME engine warranty. Wow expensive engines eh Nissan! AND WHAT A FRIKING HEADACHE FOR THE OWNERS!!!!

2301 - 2320 of 2362 Posts