Nissan Titan Forum banner
2321 - 2340 of 2362 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow man! I too am having problems with dealer out here in BC (Lower Mainland) I have already talked to someone at CANVAP so I will be filing a claim probably Wednesday. As I have a 2017 and have only till September 30 to file. This should not be happening! I bought a Truck in good faith from Nissan and now I am getting a runaround. First the Tech at the dealership who could not do a 30 minute job the first time forcing me to contact Nissan Canada and complain. And the second time around the tech hands me a 38 second video of the borescope cyl 7 and 16 seconds are nothing but a blur. And the scarring seen on the vid for all of less than 2 seconds, looks just like the scarring on Nissans engine knock bulletin. The tech then tells me that it's a vertical view when I know I am looking at something horizontally. Then the tech tells me he re stethoscope the engine and it all sounds the same. Which I responded "well does engine noise not travel through the whole engine echo" which the tech responded yea. Well then why bother stethoscope when one can take a 60 second clear vid of cyl 7 to be sure it's ok.?
Well I have emailed the Nissan rep twice since the borescope and phoned once leaving a message no response so time to file a claim with CANVAP as this is telling me the engine is bad. I did see a 2018 Titan for sale in Kamloops with about 60000 KM on the odd with a LIFETIME engine warranty. Wow expensive engines eh Nissan! AND WHAT A FRIKING HEADACHE FOR THE OWNERS!!!!
I would go to a different dealership. Take a copy of the latest tsb and get them to scope it. The tsb is quite clear and does not include listening with a stethoscope. The thing about canvap is that I think you have to agree their decision is final and binding. If it was me and no dealer would help. I would get an independent scope video then get a lawyer. Good luck, be persistent, but try and stay calm. I am in BC also and I was told there was nothing wrong the first go round.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Crazy. I started this thread in April 2019. Here we are 2+ years later and still having problems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Not crazy. They are not all fixed.

Crazy would be if we all had the problem again after the repair...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,324 ·
That's a different level of crazy!!!

Knock on wood...mine was replaced at 15k. Now at 59k with no issues.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's a different level of crazy!!!

Knock on wood...mine was replaced at 15k. Now at 59k with no issues.
You going to get your scoped by an independent b4 the warranty expires? Or sell? Or just not worry about it?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,326 ·
?????

My engine was replaced at 15k for the knocking. I now have 59k on the truck after the replacement.

Once the 5 year/100k warranty is up I'm probably going to dump the truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would go to a different dealership. Take a copy of the latest tsb and get them to scope it. The tsb is quite clear and does not include listening with a stethoscope. The thing about canvap is that I think you have to agree their decision is final and binding. If it was me and no dealer would help. I would get an independent scope video then get a lawyer. Good luck, be persistent, but try and stay calm. I am in BC also and I was told there was nothing wrong the first go round.
Yep I have a dealer problem. As proof I was in negations to trade Titan in on 2019 Frontier 6 speed standard which I really liked. Of course I was going to lose $ but the headache would go away and the dealer would get an almost pristine Titan which is due a new engine. Well the deal fell through cause the Frontier sustained damage in preparation for finalizing negations. Back to the point of bad dealer. During the negations the dealership took the titan and photographed it and now I know they did more. The Titan had it's picture taken for maybe 15 minutes tops and it was back for me to take home. Well low and behold yesterday I took her for a spin and to my amazement the trany was shifting properly. Wowsers like that was a quick fix(FLASH?).. This after I also complained to the service department that the trany was not shifting properly and having the vehicle returned after having it all day and not Borescope and not test driving for 10 minutes as required by the TSB pertaining specifically to 2017 Titans where an owner complains of shifting problems. They test drove it for less than one K. Now where can one complain about a bad dealer/SERVICE Department?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I dropped my 2017 Titan Pro-4x off Monday for them to diagnose 3 items, locking tailgate not working properly, a front suspension noise, and what I think is the engine knock. I even provided the TSB laying in the passenger seat. After 4 days, they say they were unable to replicate the knock or the suspension noise (hard to replicate suspension noise around town as it happens mostly on dirt roads or bad pothole ridden roads). However, I recorded the following video as I backed into my garage from picking the truck up from the dealer yesterday. Sent the link to the service advisor, and he and the service director and senior tech all say they can't hear anything abnormal in the video. What do you all think?

·
Registered
48 Posts
They aren’t supposed to refute your engine knock report. If you report the knock their first step is to scope the engine, specifically cylinder 7. That’s the job. Lot of questions about the carfax, I can confirm at least in my case they do not report the engine replacement on carfax. It is listed as dealer service. Also I have yet to see a Titan for sale at a dealer who posts carfax reports as having an engine replacement on the carfax. They report when they change the cabin air filter though, so…that’s good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow...sure you don't have someone beating on a drum,in the back garage..
I dropped my 2017 Titan Pro-4x off Monday for them to diagnose 3 items, locking tailgate not working properly, a front suspension noise, and what I think is the engine knock. I even provided the TSB laying in the passenger seat. After 4 days, they say they were unable to replicate the knock or the suspension noise (hard to replicate suspension noise around town as it happens mostly on dirt roads or bad pothole ridden roads). However, I recorded the following video as I backed into my garage from picking the truck up from the dealer yesterday. Sent the link to the service advisor, and he and the service director and senior tech all say they can't hear anything abnormal in the video. What do you all think?

Now ain't that something maybe it's the fuel rack knocking or perhaps Nissan is running short of engine replacements. My 17 is not usually quite as loud as yours but at time it does come close.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,332 ·

I can hear it plain as day. Dealer folks need better ears.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zimbrick Nissan finished my short block install exactly when they said they would and there doesn't seem to be any issues. Very happy with the dealer and the quality of work. Time will tell if there are any other issues. So far so good!

·
Registered
107 Posts

Knock knock

was this engine hot ?

its clearer on a cold engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Knock knock

was this engine hot ?

its clearer on a cold engine.
No, that was at full operating temperature after about 10 min of driving. That's the only time I can hear it...full operating temperature at low idle in gear (~600 rpms) or when in Park with A/C on running ~900-1000 rpms it become pretty apparent too. Noise is very difficult to hear upon initial startup. I know others on here have the same experience as I have written here too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No, that was at full operating temperature after about 10 min of driving. That's the only time I can hear it...full operating temperature at low idle in gear (~600 rpms) or when in Park with A/C on running ~900-1000 rpms it become pretty apparent too. Noise is very difficult to hear upon initial startup. I know others on here have the same experience as I have written here too.
Mmm I see, mine was really loud on a cold startup. When warmed it became less audible.

Yours is very audible in the video you posted. You can hear piston going up !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2017 titan went In yesterday for a short block replacement. Only bad thing is they put me in a Nissan Kicks for a rental, thing feels like I'm driving a go Kart.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
that was one of the loaners they gave me, a kicks. i know i never want one now

·
Registered
8 Posts
So my 2019 sv with 40k just got out with the short block replaced now it vibrates on cold start and they can't seem to figure it out. Sounds fine plenty of balls. But they need to figure it out. I did have magna flow cat back and 3 inch lift and level kit installed. Looks and sounds mean.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
Purchase Online Subscription to View this Item Subject: SB Engine Knock or Tick Noise
Summary of NTB19057:
IF YOU CONFIRM
A knock or tick noise is coming from the engine.
OR
The customer states a knock or tick noise is heard from the engine area.
ACTION
Refer to REPAIR OVERVIEW on page 3.
See this bulletin for further detail

2321 - 2340 of 2362 Posts