Nissan Titan Forum banner
2341 - 2360 of 2362 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now ain't that something maybe it's the fuel rack knocking or perhaps Nissan is running short of engine replacements. My 17 is not usually quite as loud as yours but at time it does come close.
Well well ain't it something. My dealer offered me a free Oil Change along with do not worry as everything is documented and it appears everything is ok Even had Nissan's engineer say the engine was fine. But should the engine start a knocking in or out of warranty will look after you.
Yes sir that last borescope the dealer did was certainly a lot longer than the first one 38 seconds about 3 minutes actually, a lot of blurry vid and a lot of vid leaving one wondering what exactly one was looking at. And that was three times at the dealer! Yes sirry Nissan wants to sell you wheels that do not occupy to much of your time , YEP OK!
So off to get an independent borescope, Wowsers what a world of difference I can actually see the piston and oh so much more like all the scuffing of the piston chamber. The technician/ mechanic could not believe the state of the engine "26000 K on the engine must have been scuffing from the very beginning!" Well now I know I can go to CAMVAP and win hands down the arbitration case, good thing I had the scope done in time as I have 18 days to file with CAMVAP! Here is just one nice photo on what's going on internally. And good thing we have Nissans Technical Bulletin NTB19-057.

Emails to the dealer and to Nissan Customer care? Lets all see what transpires this coming week.
Astronomical object Rectangle Font Lens flare Science
Astronomical object Rectangle Font Lens flare Science

·
Registered
107 Posts
No kidding eh. And then Nissan wonders why they are unable to sell vehicles in Canada!
that is weird, might the dealer not wanting to do it influencing nissan canada in some way. My dealer took the truck in, called me later that day, new engine for you. Ok it took a long time to get the parts but they changed it. The just last month the clutch fan was acting up, they checked it and changed it no questions.
I mean i’ve had like all my issues fixed no questions. The service guy is really good and looks to like his job Like its his passion, that probably helps.

best of luck to you !

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
that is weird, might the dealer not wanting to do it influencing nissan canada in some way. My dealer took the truck in, called me later that day, new engine for you. Ok it took a long time to get the parts but they changed it. The just last month the clutch fan was acting up, they checked it and changed it no questions.
I mean i’ve had like all my issues fixed no questions. The service guy is really good and looks to like his job Like its his passion, that probably helps.

best of luck to you !
Alan9 needs your dealers address!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts

best of luck to you !
Wow I had the Fan Clutch go too. No problem got it replaced like right away. But it was rather weird because when I got to the dealer I could not replicate the noise it was making. As it was April early morning I had turned the A/C off and the Temp up and of course the engine by then was at operating Temp. I had and the service guy tell me they would check it out but if they do not find a problem I'll have to pay for the diagnosis. . I said no problem cause I did not feel like arguing and I knew as soon as she cooled off the Fan clutch would start acting up.

As far as the new engine is concerned I had the Service manager get back to me via Email and Voice mail late yesterday. Said he had read the email and viewed the two pics and to come in on Monday with the Borescope invoice and the memory stick with the two Videos which will be sent off to Nissan and the Engine will be ordered up. The Service Manager quoted $15 000 CAD for the New engine. Now that be some serious Cash my not being a Jeff Bezos! Oh yes he mentioned not to worry I will be able to have use of the truck until the job get going, then a loaner.

I am still very wary due to what was/has and is still a very tiring exercise, TREADMILL anyone!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow I had the Fan Clutch go too. No problem got it replaced like right away. But it was rather weird because when I got to the dealer I could not replicate the noise it was making. As it was April early morning I had turned the A/C off and the Temp up and of course the engine by then was at operating Temp. I had and the service guy tell me they would check it out but if they do not find a problem I'll have to pay for the diagnosis. . I said no problem cause I did not feel like arguing and I knew as soon as she cooled off the Fan clutch would start acting up.

As far as the new engine is concerned I had the Service manager get back to me via Email and Voice mail late yesterday. Said he had read the email and viewed the two pics and to come in on Monday with the Borescope invoice and the memory stick with the two Videos which will be sent off to Nissan and the Engine will be ordered up. The Service Manager quoted $15 000 CAD for the New engine. Now that be some serious Cash my not being a Jeff Bezos! Oh yes he mentioned not to worry I will be able to have use of the truck until the job get going, then a loaner.

I am still very wary due to what was/has and is still a very tiring exercise, TREADMILL anyone!
(y)

·
Registered
30 Posts

best of luck to you !
I am wondering what kind of warranty you got on this new engine?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
same as the old engine. its all covered just like it came in the truck from the factory. i had to go back for the ac not being cool after mine was done and they fixed it right up

·
Registered
30 Posts
same as the old engine. its all covered just like it came in the truck from the factory. i had to go back for the ac not being cool after mine was done and they fixed it right up
Thanks for the info
Just to be clear. Does this mean the warranty is extended ( 2017 engine done in 2021 warranty expires in 2026) or is the new engine still on the original warranty expiring in 2022? I will not bother with the Kilo/Mileage as doubt I'll ever get 160 000K/ 86 000 miles in the 2026 time span. But I do hope the engine replacement will out last me.

Thanks again. Short Block ordered up!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
it stays on the plan your truck is on.
Replied in the wrong post.
So thanks again. Still do not know why the clock would not be reset engine wise. Oh well when I bought the Titan I expected no trouble with the power train as long as things were looked after. So now with the new engine and the scuffing problem fixed I expect engine to last a good long while.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
that's how i feel. i planned on the truck lasting a very long time with little trouble, like the first gens of all my friends. hopefully this engine is good and lasts because the rest of the truck seems to be trouble free

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, Had our Short Block replaced July 2020, at 40,0000 Miles. Now have 50,000 miles and going in on the 11th of October for the replacement of the musical fuel tank. Does any one really know what is causing the scuffing. Did Nissan modify the new short blocks to eliminate the problem. Did we get a new modified short block (surly they ran out of 2017 short blocks by now). What do we think the durability of the new replacement short blocks will be. Hoping to keep the Titan for a while! Don't get ,much info from my local dealer, Getting ready to go to another for service. This one can't seem to communicate with their customers unless they want to buy your truck or sell you something.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
From what I read, something about an oil squirter not fully seated so the piston wasn't getting oil properly.

If you had no scuffing but the squirter was not fully seated, I believe they were supposed to properly seat the squirter. If you had scuffing they replaced the engine (early on) or the short block (later on)

Some people early on had multiple engine swaps, the recent ones seem to be doing very well. I only have about 10k on mine and it's doing good. I hope it stays good because I won't be near the 100k miles when my extended 7 years is over

·
Registered
120 Posts
So, Had our Short Block replaced July 2020, at 40,0000 Miles. Now have 50,000 miles and going in on the 11th of October for the replacement of the musical fuel tank. Does any one really know what is causing the scuffing. Did Nissan modify the new short blocks to eliminate the problem. Did we get a new modified short block (surly they ran out of 2017 short blocks by now). What do we think the durability of the new replacement short blocks will be. Hoping to keep the Titan for a while! Don't get ,much info from my local dealer, Getting ready to go to another for service. This one can't seem to communicate with their customers unless they want to buy your truck or sell you something.
hold my beer.. let me tell ya a story..hope 2 get our 17p4x back monday,for the love of all good things..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2017 with 10k miles. Pretty sure it's knocking. Oddly I didn't hear it during the test drive. Strange knock as well, only hear it at idle. Runs smoothe and quiet at highway speed. Is nissan only replacing these for free if the truck is under warranty? Seems like a manufacturer defect this severe should be handled at their cost whether the truck is in warranty or not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just bought a 2017 with 10k miles. Pretty sure it's knocking. Oddly I didn't hear it during the test drive. Strange knock as well, only hear it at idle. Runs smoothe and quiet at highway speed. Is nissan only replacing these for free if the truck is under warranty? Seems like a manufacturer defect this severe should be handled at their cost whether the truck is in warranty or not.
Your truck should be under warranty. Does it not have a 5 year powertrain warranty? Good will repairs would be at the discretion of the manufacturer

2341 - 2360 of 2362 Posts