Nissan Titan Forum banner
2521 - 2540 of 2584 Posts

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,951 Posts
if you guys want to know about ways to unintentionally blow an engine, i can tell you how. i have lost about five engines. most from low oil causing a knock which catastrophically evacuates one of the rotating assembly's connecting rods from the engine, some from timing belts breaking and causing the rocker arms to exceed their bend allowances and snapping off while trying to push the valve through the top of the piston, or over revving and finding out that end of the red zone on the tach is not supposed to be exceeded by another inch of pointer swing because the engine does come apart at 8k rpms, like they say it will

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
there is no one on this site that has had an engine fail from the knock. that has been asked many times and so far, no one has had one fail.

this "knock" is actually piston slap in the cylinder. that is why there is the scoring and flaking on the cylinder walls. if it was a real knock, from a bearing or something else rotating, it would have come apart, or locked up and come apart. i have had real engine knocks and blown engines and/or locked them up, then blown them. piston slap is very common on other manufacturers too and the engines never come apart or break down.

the most well known engine with piston slap, to my knowledge, is the jeep 4.0 in the wranglers, cherokees, grand cherokees, and comanches. they develop piston slap around 100-150k on some but continue to run. some guys have almost 800k on their engines and they have piston slap. sometimes the piston skirt breaks on the 4.0 but the engine still runs. once you have a skirt break off though, you need to fix it because that can cause the engine to seize. my cherokee had just under 350k when i sold it and sometimes i would hear the piston slap when starting it. jeep ran great though and the kids would take it across texas to see their grand parents with no issues. when i sold it this year, the guy who bought it now uses it for pizza delivery.

i had an f150 which started knocking after being stolen and driven out of state until it leaked out enough oil to start knocking from the bearings on the crank shaft to the connecting rod. when i finally got the truck, it was knocking bad, thunk thunk thunk and you could almost feel it in your chest. it sounded like someone hitting a hammer on an anvil. my dad and i knew it was pretty much done but we had to get it home so we put some slick50 in it and then finished refilling with straight 30w oil. we started the truck and the knocking quieted down and got less and less till it almost sounded like normal. i drove the truck 6 hours to my dad's house and left it because i was at airborne school for the army. after airborne, i went and got my truck and took it back to fort benning where i ended up being stationed, which is about an 8 hour drive from my dad's.

that 302 in the f150 is the only engine that had a lower engine knock that i have ever seen that did not lock up and then blow a hole in the side of hte block. i sold that f150 two years later (1997), still knocking and when i went to see my dad in 2000 or 2001, i saw the guy i sold the truck to, still driving it around fort benning.

every other knocking engine i, or my kids, has caused to have a knock (crank to connecting rod, or rod to piston) has grenaded within a few days of hte knock because the bearing locks onto the surface its supposed to slide on and than causes the other surface to lock so rotation stops forcing a piston through a cylinder wall and sometimes through the side of the engine block.
@busemans thank you for the clarity and the thoroughness of your reply. Your comments are very helpful in terms of perspective on the issue.

I’ve been listening intently to my ’17 engine since taking delivery on May 7th. After posting this morning I first read your reply while sitting in the dealership guest room waiting on my truck (routine differential service). I felt something relax inside of me as I read. I am enjoying the Titan, but the whole knock issue discussion creates an unavoidable level of dissonance.

Years back I owned a ’06 TJ that is the only vehicle I regret selling. It was rarely driven and mostly just in the way, so I let it get away. The 4.0 in that one was problem free and ran strong. Now I’m winding down in motorcycling and in hindsight the TJ could have provided a nice hair in the wind transition.

Back to the knock topic, if the truck eventually develops the issue, I’m under warranty (Nissan CPO) for another 34,000 miles and/or 28 months. Surely by then I’ll know one way or the other.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
551 Posts
@busemans thank you for the clarity and the thoroughness of your reply. Your comments are very helpful in terms of perspective on the issue.

I’ve been listening intently to my ’17 engine since taking delivery on May 7th. After posting this morning I first read your reply while sitting in the dealership guest room waiting on my truck (routine differential service). I felt something relax inside of me as I read. I am enjoying the Titan, but the whole knock issue discussion creates an unavoidable level of dissonance.

Years back I owned a ’06 TJ that is the only vehicle I regret selling. It was rarely driven and mostly just in the way, so I let it get away. The 4.0 in that one was problem free and ran strong. Now I’m winding down in motorcycling and in hindsight the TJ could have provided a nice hair in the wind transition.

Back to the knock topic, if the truck eventually develops the issue, I’m under warranty (Nissan CPO) for another 34,000 miles and/or 28 months. Surely by then I’ll know one way or the other.

Thanks again!
Get another TJ! I love mine… almost as much as my bikes. And yeah, once the bikes are done the TJ will be even more loved! There’s just something about that thing that makes me smile :)

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Our tj, even though not driven a lot by myself, is loved by my youngest son. We actually bought it for him but gas mileage was killing him so it's with us while he drives a good gas mileage mazda6 around Colorado.

You should have seen the pictures he sent us while out four wheeling with that jeep club by Colorado springs though. Beautiful.

I still have a some time on my cpo warranty too. The cpo warranty is awesome. All they do is extend the factory warranty for more time. I was amazed

·
Registered
551 Posts
Our tj, even though not driven a lot by myself, is loved by my youngest son. We actually bought it for him but gas mileage was killing him so it's with us while he drives a good gas mileage mazda6 around Colorado.

You should have seen the pictures he sent us while out four wheeling with that jeep club by Colorado springs though. Beautiful.

I still have a some time on my cpo warranty too. The cpo warranty is awesome. All they do is extend the factory warranty for more time. I was amazed
Wait… your TJ still has a CPO warranty , or did I read that wrong?! YJ ended production in ‘06… what company warranties it?!

I bought ours cuz my 15 y/o daughter loves jeeps. Turns out I love it even more! If I’m not on a bike, I’m in the TJ. My beautiful truck sits so much I had to buy a new battery :). Hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Ha ha ha, cpo in my titan.

Tj came as is and was beautiful till it got ripped down a mountain trail outside Colorado springs. It actually just got rolled once but it was enough to tear it up and now it looks like it's had a rough life. Pics are out of order. Bottom is when it was living the fun jeep life, top is after the incident. It's back to normal life now but the tub? As crunched in on one side a little so the hard top is tougher to bolt down

Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

The wife and I have had a few Wranglers. For her, the jku was the best. For me, I actually enjoy the tj the most out of a 76 cj5, 87 yj, and a 93 yj that we have previously owned. The ride is so much better in a tj.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Damn that’s sad! But…. It seems the damn thing still runs :) Tj’s are little tanks!

Great looking ride, and she’s got some stories. Good on you for keeping instead of parting it out.

And nice collection of wranglers. I’ve only had one… and one 08 grand Cherokee. Maybe more in the future, who knows.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
i actually never wanted a wrangler. i was happy with the cherokee and grand cherokee. but the wife always wanted a wrangler, since we got married 23 years ago. that is how we got the 93, it was a present for her. after we got it, she would never take the top or doors off and i wanted to so i could try out the "real" jeep life. finally i traded my 87 cherokee (6" lift, 31" tires) for the 87 wrangler so i could do that stuff. the 87 had recently had a frame off restoration and the engine was a stroker but they used a 32/36 weber on it so the jeep drove odd. and whoever put the weber on it didn;t know anything about carbs. i swapped the intake to an offenhauser and put a four barrel holley on it and the jeep was a hot rod. gas mileage increased and it would smoke the tires all the way across an intersection. i drove it for a while like that but than decided i wanted a 302 in it so i spent about a year doing that swap. it ended up taking so long that i got sick of seeing the jeep sitting and once it was done, i drove it a little while and than sold it. both those wranglers were full hard top, full door models.
the jku was a 2007 full hard door and soft top when we bought it but we quickly put a hard top on because of hte noise on the soft top while on the highway. than she wanted a lift so i put a small 2" lift on it and 32s. it was actually a very good jeep but the sport, which that one was, has a horribly uncomfortable interior set up. the door edges where you rest your arms are square, not rounded, so it dug into my elbow on long drives and was just not comfortable like the other two were. but with kids the four door was a way better set up. i would not get another four door wrangler since we don't have kids that require it anymore. our kids are both out of high school so.

i cycle as a hobby though so a wrangler is no good for me. i need a truck. i cannot fit my recumbent lightning p-38 into a four door or two door wrangler so they are not super useful to me. thats why i stopped owning a wrangler, really. this tj is super nice but i only start it once every two or three weeks and drive it to work that time so it gets moved around. other than for saying i have a jeep, its like a motorcycle to me. not very useful and a lot of money for that single use

·
Registered
551 Posts
They definitely are a niche vehicle and don’t fit a lot if people’s needs. If it does fit though, they’re great!

It doesn’t actually fit many of my needs either but I love it.

·
Premium Member
5,284 Posts
Well, I just bought a 2017 SV yesterday out of state. When I picked it up I didn't hear the knock. After driving it 220 miles it has a distinct knock.
Mfg warranty is up in Sept. Hoping the local dealership goes to bat for me!
Knocks do not come and go, some listen so intently that they may be hearing something that’s not a knock. If you actually do have a knock it will get worse as time passes. I’m not understanding how after your ride you’re hearing something that you didn’t when you test drive it and when you started your journey home.

Clint

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Knocks do not come and go, some listen so intently that they may be hearing something that’s not a knock. If you actually do have a knock it will get worse as time passes. I’m not understanding how after your ride you’re hearing something that you didn’t when you test drive it and when you started your journey home.

Clint
The scuffed cylinder knock at idle usually doesn't appear until the engine is hot and fully warmed up…When oil is at its thinnest…

·
Registered
52 Posts
That’s what I suspect. Fresh oil change and not being driven much. I can barely hear it at idle. But it’s very pronounced when I put it in reverse with the brakes on.

And BTW; I sent my Sales guy the TSB and had him take it in to the Service department. They gave it a clean bill of health.

·
Premium Member
5,284 Posts
That’s what I suspect. Fresh oil change and not being driven much. I can barely hear it at idle. But it’s very pronounced when I put it in reverse with the brakes on.

And BTW; I sent my Sales guy the TSB and had him take it in to the Service department. They gave it a clean bill of health.
The question is did they scope the cylinder?
Hope it all turns out perfectly, good luck.

Clint

·
Registered
261 Posts

In my 2017 that ended up getting a short block replacement, the place it was most obvious was in a drive thru. Driver's window down, transmission in Drive, foot on the brake. The sound bouncing off the restaurant wall back at me made it sound like I was driving a loud diesel.

But a fresh start idling in park it was hardly noticeable. Then when my dealer scoped it they said mine was the worst they'd seen so far and showed me the pics and it looked horrible.

Thankfully no signs of any issues with my 2020 yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and was looking through some of the 127 pages on this thread. I just got a 2018 SV with 42k a few days ago. Haven't noticed any knocks, but did you guys ever figure out what time frame is effected?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
no. just what the tsb says and some stuff just outside of with some outlier couple of new trucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone have a link to the TSB? I thought I did some pretty good research prior to buying the truck, everything said the 5.6 is rock solid. I know a few guys here have had it, but is this something I really need to worry about, or would it have showed up already after 42k miles?

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
773 Posts
It’s something that will or will not happen. The mileage varies from very little to over 75,000 when it pops up. Best bet is to make an appointment with Nissan with the TSB in hand to have the 7th cylinder walls scoped. Make sure you see photos and you can compare to ones online. There have been 0 reports of catastrophic engine failure or severe issues from this knock, so I wouldn’t over think it or worry too much. Just try to have it scoped prior to the 5yr/100,000 mile warranty expiring to be safe.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
i would not be worried. just do like mentioned above and get it checked so they can replace it before your warranty is up, if there is an issue in the cylinder

2521 - 2540 of 2584 Posts