Nissan Titan Forum banner
2541 - 2560 of 2584 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just dropped mine off at the dealership. He was very familiar with the issue. He’s saying they will probably need service records? I hope they’re not going to try and find a way to not cover it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Was yours knocking already, or are you just having it checked?
mine was faint, you could barely hear it. tear apart for short block, revealed damage was extensive and not limited to cylinder 7.

Make sure your get a new short block b4 warranty expiry, if it hasnt been replaced already

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Call me cynical, I own a bore scope and I’d look myself first, take pictures and then let them look. If they try to play a game it’s really easy to pull a picture out and show them and listen them stammer.
It’s sad that we have to doubt those who we should trust.

Clint

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Read that TSB yet again. Does anyone have a copy of NTB17-053?

Whatever is in that document appears to be an intermediate step specified for certain 2017 models.

When I Googled it I got a form that wanted personal info to actually see the document, so I backed out.
------------
Via edit - never mind. I took another stab at it and found a PDF. NTB17-053 has to do with a fan clutch issue at certain temperatures.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I just dropped mine off at the dealership. He was very familiar with the issue. He’s saying they will probably need service records? I hope they’re not going to try and find a way to not cover it.
Your dealer has access to a national Nissan database, and to CarFax. Unless you did your own maintenance (in which case you need receipts and notes), or the place or places you had it serviced did not make the appropriate entries, he should otherwise be able to verify the maintenance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your dealer has access to a national Nissan database, and to CarFax. Unless you did your own maintenance (in which case you need receipts and notes), or the place or places you had it serviced did not make the appropriate entries, he should otherwise be able to verify the maintenance.
That's the thing; I just bought it last week! I'm just hoping they're not going to try and say there's not sufficient service records to honor the warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
let him know you just bought it. was it from a nissan dealer?
Yeah, I told him. It's from a Nissan dealer in another state. Good thing is; the dealer gave me an additional 3 Month, 3000 mile warranty that they offer on all used sales, but said I didn't need it due to the rest of the Manufacturers warranty remaining.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
That's the thing; I just bought it last week! I'm just hoping they're not going to try and say there's not sufficient service records to honor the warranty.
Your maintenance has nothing to do with this engine issue. If it’s making noise and the cylinders are scored that’s all they need to request coverage. You just bought it so you can’t be at fault for anything.

Clint

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just a follow up on this on my truck. 2017, 93K miles, no knocking and has been a fantastic truck. Warranty expires at the end of the year, so I took it in to have it scoped regardless of not hearing any noticeable knock. I paid the dealer to scope it since there was no evidence of a knock. 2 cylinder walls had moderate scoring and the dealer filed a warranty claim with Nissan. Waiting to hear back from Nissan for the short block replacement. I've always maintained the oil changes and service work meticulously. Nissan should have had a recall on this issue IMHO. There was a design flaw issue in these model years and Nissan Ef'd up. Best to own up and just fix it.

I love my truck and have been a huge proponent of these trucks, even the dog-diesel version which they never should have toyed with. I think they should have offered a 5.6 factory super charged version of the gasser instead😎

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Just a follow up on this on my truck. 2017, 93K miles, no knocking and has been a fantastic truck. Warranty expires at the end of the year, so I took it in to have it scoped regardless of not hearing any noticeable knock. I paid the dealer to scope it since there was no evidence of a knock. 2 cylinder walls had moderate scoring and the dealer filed a warranty claim with Nissan. Waiting to hear back from Nissan for the short block replacement. I've always maintained the oil changes and service work meticulously. Nissan should have had a recall on this issue IMHO. There was a design flaw issue in these model years and Nissan Ef'd up. Best to own up and just fix it.

I love my truck and have been a huge proponent of these trucks, even the dog-diesel version which they never should have toyed with. I think they should have offered a 5.6 factory super charged version of the gasser instead😎
Recalls are only for safety related items.

Clint

Reactions: TBPs and busemans
2541 - 2560 of 2584 Posts