Nissan Titan Forum banner

721 - 740 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
LOL!! I laughed.

It's kinda funny if you think about it. Doesn't trust dealer to do his oil changes but then turns around and tells you that you should trust them doing an engine swap. 😀
ASE techs don't change oil... They are reserved for the complex stuff.

It's the lube tech we fear!! Low pay, change oil all day, strip out drain plugs and skid plate bolts....maybe leave an oil filter too loose..oh my!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do you folks have any other options, other than the dealer for an engine fix., i.e. long and short block. Many folks like to do their own oil changes (and other misc. maintenance) because the dealer is not detail oriented and will not wipe off spilled oil with a brake cleaner damped paper napkin, use a dirty funnel to pour clean oil, overtighten the drain plug, butcher up other hardware etc. Personally, it make me feel better to do my own oil changes, but I will not tackle an engine repair when it is under warranty. Touch wood, my engine appears to be fine at this point.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
"ASE Tech" really doesn't mean anything. They can strip out bolts and forget to tighten things just as well as the oil change guys. It's not like being factory built where everything is mostly done by robotics meaning it's done the same everytime.

Maybe the day your engine is swapped the ASE tech was out the night before drinking and playing pool or shooting darts and is not feeling the greatest the day your engine is being installed and things aren't installed and put together properly.

My engine swap...I already found one loose bolt after I got back. I found it because it was rattling and loud. So how many other loose bolts are there?

·
Registered
278 Posts
We are missing the point. Some things are within our sphere of influence, some things within our sphere of control, and some perhaps neither. Oil changes can be done by folks who enjoy doing oil changes, and doing them properly, but engine work, especially during the warranty period, perhaps not. So what are the options for engine work (within the warranty period) - take it to the dealer, irrespective of how potentially shoddy the work might be.... Of course, you can take a loss when the engine issue crops up, and get rid of it. Until then, let the folks who enjoy oil changes, enjoy doing them properly....

·
Registered
172 Posts
So I was talking to my local dealer and they have said the have done a few which got me thinking. I have about 44k miles on the truck, there is some ticking there when you start it, but I have not heard any knocking. Has anyone had thiers replaced with just some ticking? I know the TSB states that TIcking may apply, but it sounds like Injector / DI noise.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So I was talking to my local dealer and they have said the have done a few which got me thinking. I have about 44k miles on the truck, there is some ticking there when you start it, but I have not heard any knocking. Has anyone had thiers replaced with just some ticking? I know the TSB states that TIcking may apply, but it sounds like Injector / DI noise.
Only way to know is get it scoped. If you have a local mechanic that can do this for you and possibly take pictures of the damage you will save yourself a fight with the dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
ASE techs don't change oil... They are reserved for the complex stuff.

It's the lube tech we fear!! Low pay, change oil all day, strip out drain plugs and skid plate bolts....maybe leave an oil filter too loose..oh my!!!
Doesn’t it void the warranty if you do the oil change?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Abs
Doesn’t it void the warranty if you do the oil change?

Absolutely not, its against the law for a warranty claim to be denied simply because to do your own work. Its actually the dealer/manufacture who MUST prove that something you did CAUSED that particular failure in order to refuse a warranty claim. But it is on you to maintain record of proof that you had said work such as oil changes done.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I'm more concerned with the extensive teardown and reassembly of the engine associated with the short block swap than the fact that the cab is off the frame. How good of a mechanic is the technician they have doing the job? I have no idea, I don't get to pick my technician (my dealer only has 1 certified Titan tech). Maybe he's literally the best 5.6 Endurance engine technician in the country and I should be glad my motor is being reassembled by him, or maybe he's the tech who passed the certification exam within 1 point of failing it - I have no idea.

I can't understand why it's so confusing to you why some of us might wonder "how good of a job did that guy really do?" Our trucks weren't designed with a short block replacement in mind, nowhere in the owner's manual maintenance schedule is there a "replace short block" recommended maintenance item. This is job that should never have needed to be done on our trucks during their useful lifetime, and yet here many of us are. So now we have a job needing to be done being done by technicians who shouldn't have ever needed to do it, so how well trained and experienced can we reasonably expect they are with this sort of repair to begin with? Why wouldn't we wonder how good of a job they'll really do and if we might have problems later on associated with their work?

You recently said you prefer to buy your own supplies and do your own oil changes instead of accepting free oil changes from your dealer. Please forgive me if I'm putting words in your mouth; but if you don't even fully trust your dealer to change the oil in your truck, why should we be expected fully trust our dealer to swap the short block without any trepidation?
I can change my own oil and know that’s it’s done 100% and all clean down there, I on the other hand cannot under warranty swap out my engine so I have to let them do it and see after how it all turned out. Should it not be done correctly, at that point the dealer and Nissan corporate have to do it all again, fix what’s wrong or figure a way to change the vehicle at an acceptable expense.
Some here make up all kinds of scenarios that haven’t happened and just aggravate themselves. One thing about getting older is your perspective changes with time.
When I bought my 2012 Challenger SRT8 it was so awesome, it was the most expensive one ever built at the time, the very last one off the line of a limited edition run and thought about all the time, 8 years later, it sits in the garage with only maybe 10,000 miles on it, it’s in better than brand new condition and now might get driven once every 2 months for a 20 mile lap, things do change.
I say we are forced to give them a chance and at worst trade it on something else.
Clint

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I can change my own oil and know that’s it’s done 100% and all clean down there, I on the other hand cannot under warranty swap out my engine so I have to let them do it and see after how it all turned out. Should it not be done correctly, at that point the dealer and Nissan corporate have to do it all again, fix what’s wrong or figure a way to change the vehicle at an acceptable expense.
Some here make up all kinds of scenarios that haven’t happened and just aggravate themselves. One thing about getting older is your perspective changes with time.
When I bought my 2012 Challenger SRT8 it was so awesome, it was the most expensive one ever built at the time, the very last one off the line of a limited edition run and thought about all the time, 8 years later, it sits in the garage with only maybe 10,000 miles on it, it’s in better than brand new condition and now might get driven once every 2 months for a 20 mile lap, things do change.
I say we are forced to give them a chance and at worst trade it on something else.
Clint
I think I read the Challenger outsells the mustang which is awesome. I love the challenger it’s one of a very very few cars I would actually trade my Titan for

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think I read the Challenger outsells the mustang which is awesome. I love the challenger it’s one of a very very few cars I would actually trade my Titan for

Just as an FYI “Ford still has a comfortable lead over Dodge in year-to-date sales but the gap is narrowing. 55,365 Mustangs have been sold through all of 2019 thus far, versus 46,699 for the Challenger. At 36,791 sold units, Camaro is a distant third.”

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #733
LOL. How is a vehicle with 10,000 miles better than brand new condition?

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
LOL. How is a vehicle with 10,000 miles better than brand new condition?
If you saw it next to a just delivered car you’ll see a very substantial difference in the paint alone. It’s color sanded, corrected and coated, under the hood also looks like you spent a week detailing it.
it has many, many trophies so someone else other than me thinks it looks great especially when spectators get to vote.
Not sure why but for whatever reason you just enjoy complaining about everything and life is too short. I am on my 49th vehicle and ZERO have had the amount of issues you come here and post about. Sure some have had this or that go wrong but it’s all taken care or or is sell it and replace it, not post it all online. I had a rear go on a Frontier, went to the dealer, put it on snow and showed them one wheel stayed still with a limited slip rear, magic, they replaced it and all was right in my world again. You know what? I never posted it on the forum and still am active on there since 2004. I suggest to owners how to get it (topic at the time) corrected and not start a whole scare campaign where potential owners run from the vehicle just because a part failed. I’m on my 9th Nissan pickup and will happily buy another one.
May nothing truly serious happen in your life, you’d really be a mess. It’s a vehicle, not your health, your child’s health or anyone in your families health. That’s something deserving to freak out over.
Clint

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #735
It may have received some trophies but I'm sure it not better than brand new condition especially with 10k on the engine, drive train and brakes.

Good for you that you've had zero issues. I had numerous issued on my gen1 Titan and an engine replacement on 2nd Titan. Not complaining...just stating the facts.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
It may have received some trophies but I'm sure it not better than brand new condition especially with 10k on the engine, drive train and brakes.

Good for you that you've had zero issues. I had numerous issued on my gen1 Titan and an engine replacement on 2nd Titan. Not complaining...just stating the facts.
Sadly it appears all you do here is complain about everything regarding your truck. Why not just put it up for sale and get out of the lease.
As for trophies I have a couple of dozen, if not more. Seriously, 10,000 miles on a car shows wear, in 8 years? If I put only 500 in a whole season on the car it gets fresh synthetic before being put away for the winter. It gets changed every 6 months regardless of mileage.
I alluded to something in the first post, I had a sick 7 year old 15 years ago, it was bad but now at 22 she’s doing great and like I said nothing else really matters, as long as you’re healthy every thing else can be dealt with. Vehicles are just things.
Clint

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just picked my truck up from the dealer. The driving experience is night/day (for the better), my truck now has almost the same throttle response as the XD loaner I had so that's a plus. Sounds completely different at idle. Just took it for a quick drive around town but will give it a better test drive as soon as I can. Dealership has a new fuel tank on order (per the fuel up whistle TSB) so another trip back in the near future.

The "after care" for the swap is clearly not an official Nissan policy. Some have posted here about being told to come back in for a 1000 mile oil change and such, I specifically asked my dealer and they said "nope, just drive it like normal next oil change in 5000 miles." I may do it sooner just because, but they had absolutely 0 special instructions for me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good for you. I hope the truck give you satisfactory service from this point on. You may possibly encounter little nuisance issues, but those can be addressed.

721 - 740 of 779 Posts