Nissan Titan Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
I

It’s a pain accessing the #7 cylinder plus my Amazon cam didnt have the 90 degree mirror so I could only see the piston tops.

I bought a 90 degree mirror just need to find the time to go look again..

At the end of the day if its knocking...it’s no good...

Wonder if any of the guys with replacement blocks have surpassed 15 to 20k yet??
I'm at ~15k on my replacement long block (~30k on the truck now). So far all seems to be good I think.

I found one loose bolt that I had to tighten and maybe it's just in my head, but it seems to take longer for the heat to get hot.

With winter around right now most mornings I have the truck running for 20 minutes with the heat set at 90 degrees. Then I get into it and drive and it's not very warm at all. Seems I need to get about 10 miles down the road before it starts throwing a lot of heat and I have to back it down to 65-70 degrees.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm at ~15k on my replacement long block (~30k on the truck now). So far all seems to be good I think.

I found one loose bolt that I had to tighten and maybe it's just in my head, but it seems to take longer for the heat to get hot.

With winter around right now most mornings I have the truck running for 20 minutes with the heat set at 90 degrees. Then I get into it and drive and it's not very warm at all. Seems I need to get about 10 miles down the road before it starts throwing a lot of heat and I have to back it down to 65-70 degrees.
Wonder if they forgot to put the thermostat back in?

·
Registered
961 Posts

U may have an airlock or trapped pocket of air in cooling system. Nissan specifies the use of an airlock removal tool anytime coolant is drained.
I know on the 1st gens u could jack the front of the truck up to position radiator higher than engine, pull cap off overflow tank, turn heater on high/max temp then idle truck until heater makes hot air... Race engine a few times then shut off engine, lower truck and replace cap...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm at 50k on my 2017. Loud as hell but as far as I can tell isnt knocking. A little air noise from passenger rear door and a mild fluctuation in rpm but that stuff never bothered me. Its a good truck. My buddy and I bought 2017s at the same time. His is quite loud as well but has been a great truck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What do you mean when you say loud? These trucks are quiet.
mine is quiet if you are inside and loud when you are outside standing next to the hood.
My 05 pathfinder is loud and always was.

it's a nissan thing.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hmmm...mine is quiet inside and out.
Very quiet until the knockin’ starts..

I will take mine in soon and if the dealer gives the “cannot duplicate” I will run her to see how many miles motor can go before she blows.

If I make 90k will take back to dealer.. Bet they hear it then.....Lol!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Very quiet until the knockin’ starts..

I will take mine in soon and if the dealer gives the “cannot duplicate” I will run her to see how many miles motor can go before she blows.

If I make 90k will take back to dealer.. Bet they hear it then.....Lol!!!
Problem is the warranty is not extended so sooner the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Problem is the warranty is not extended so sooner the better
Once the engine is replaced, the warranty isn't extended. My logic is, put as many miles on the potentially faulty engine to give Nissan time to confirm the issue is fixed on any new engine they might drop into my truck under warranty. Better to get the engine replaced in another year when the truck has 40K miles on it than to have it replaced now with a potentially faulty replacement engine.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Once the engine is replaced, the warranty isn't extended. My logic is, put as many miles on the potentially faulty engine to give Nissan time to confirm the issue is fixed on any new engine they might drop into my truck under warranty. Better to get the engine replaced in another year when the truck has 40K miles on it than to have it replaced now with a potentially faulty replacement engine.
Kinda my thoughts as well... Damn I have a 19’ with a knocker and folks with early 17’s that are knockers... Some do it some don't...

Will ride it out for the moment.. At some point Nissan needs to get a grip on this or it will kill the Titan for sure... Issues like this could send die hards like me lookin’ elsewhere...

·
Registered
106 Posts
As you all know my truck had short block replacement about 2 months ago. Now its starting to make a rotating sound from the front of the engine. I can also hear it in the cab. Hopefully its just the tension on one of the belts. Talk to the service manager at my local dealer. He's got 3 trucks that are getting block replacements in shop right now. Apparently this issue is spreading like a nasty virus.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
As you all know my truck had short block replacement about 2 months ago. Now its starting to make a rotating sound from the front of the engine. I can also hear it in the cab. Hopefully its just the tension on one of the belts. Talk to the service manager at my local dealer. He's got 3 trucks that are getting block replacements in shop right now. Apparently this issue is spreading like a nasty virus.
Not spreading they just acknowledged the issue instead of telling people it’s normal etc like dealers do. Now anyone that brings one in is getting a new engine no questions asked only reason it seems like it’s getting worse. I think we all knew it would get worse before better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
New to site been a member for awhile, first post. I have 2018 SV 4 door 4x4 with around 11,500 miles and started having a bad engine knocking. I'm scheduled to have truck looked at tomorrow at the dealership to see what's wrong. Any advice before I head over?? It just started now in its 2nd winter, last year was worse up until this point if this winter but once I crossed the 11,000 mile mark there is a definite knocking noise.

I actually purchased vehicle brand new no miles off the lot around fathers day 2018 and signed up here after purchase. Any insight would be much appreciated. I'd hate to have this problem on a brand new vehicle that is never driven recklessly or under any stress and never towed before.

Dealer asked if I recently changed gas and only fill up in my hometown at the same station.

·
Registered
961 Posts
New to site been a member for awhile, first post. I have 2018 SV 4 door 4x4 with around 11,500 miles and started having a bad engine knocking. I'm scheduled to have truck looked at tomorrow at the dealership to see what's wrong. Any advice before I head over?? It just started now in its 2nd winter, last year was worse up until this point if this winter but once I crossed the 11,000 mile mark there is a definite knocking noise.
Give them this...

881 - 900 of 1722 Posts