Nissan Titan Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1098 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Of course dealers give the run around on this and any other issue they think they can get away with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
After hearing what I thought I was the knock in my engine (19 P4X), I've listened to it several times for over 100 miles but haven't heard it again.

I carried it to the dealer today and watched a tech listen with some type of listening device at idle and under load multiple times. He could not hear anything abnormal.

Maybe what I heard wasn't a knock. If it was, it will definitely show up.

I'm not a Nissan fanboy or a brand loyalist, as I've owned many trucks of every major manufacturer. I'm not happy about any of the issues Titans have but I will say all brands have issues. That doesn't excuse Nissan or any of them but it is reality.

I traded a 2017 Silverado LTZ Plus Z71 in on my first Titan because the 8 speed transmission was complete junk and GM refused to do anything about it, now there is a class action lawsuit. Their favorite term is "it is operating within specs". I had two Silverados that ate oil with less than 65k miles on them. One had a brand new engine at 36k and within 10k miles, the new engine (not rebuild) was burning 1 quart of oil every 2100 miIes. Their answer "it is operating within specs unless it is burning 1 quart every 2000 miles." The oil consumption issue is a huge issue with GM's AFM (cylinder deactivation). I also owned a 2016 Ram Ecodiesel, if you're not familiar with that situation, it continues to be a mess.

Anyway, it sucks to have any major trouble on newer vehicles and I hate it for the Titan family guys who are having problems.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So I was doing some checking around and found the 2nd gen short block part number is 10103-ez30a.

I went to an Infinity parts site and discovered the same part number is used on the 2011 thru 2019 QX56//80... The 2011 thru 2016 QX80 spec oil was 5w-30.

I still wonder if Nissan just poorly assumed 0w-20 oil would work fine in these engines?

·
Registered
345 Posts
It cannot be the oil. All cylinders would have been impacted, not just the #7, and possibly #5, and Nissan would have modified the oil recommendations. Separately, just replacing the short block is most likely a hit or miss repair, not due to the quality of the short block, but the competence of the dealership performing the work.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
It cannot be the oil. All cylinders would have been impacted, not just the #7, and possibly #5, and Nissan would have modified the oil recommendations. Separately, just replacing the short block is most likely a hit or miss repair, not due to the quality of the short block, but the competence of the dealership performing the work.
Benjamin Moore PaInt had an advertising campaign years ago that stated it cost less to do it right the first time. With that thought in mind it would sure benefit Nissan to do all long blocks repairs and make the customers happy once again as they now have a soured view of them. It costs far more to gain new customers than to retain current ones.

Clint

·
Registered
17 Posts
I completely agree with you that the oil type isn't the issue because of what you stated, but at the same time I don't think the recommended oil is the correct weight for our engines.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I completely agree with you that the oil type isn't the issue because of what you stated, but at the same time I don't think the recommended oil is the correct weight for our engines.
I hear you but other brands are now using 0w-20 as well and don’t hear of engine damage or failures with their vehicles. My 2014 Sentra has been using it since new and it has no lubrication isssues nor does my 2018 Rogue.
I’m waiting for Nissan to further extend the warranty on the Titans engines to smooth the waters on nervous owners minds. They did it for the Frontiers and Pathfinders in the years with the transmission/radiator failures and the CVT transmissions on the Sentras too. It may may happen on other models or years that I no longer own and am not aware of.

Clint

·
Registered
102 Posts
The truck is at the dealer. They have isolated where the sound (rotating humming sound) is coming from. Its in back of engine near the transmission. I wish they would have done long block replacement instead of a short block. There working with the Nissan engineers to figure out what the hell is going on. Its been real fun having every loaner vehicle on the lot. So far I've had a Kicks, Versa, Frontier, Rogue and a Titan. I actually I really liked the Frontier. Great little pickup! I'm really starting to lose faith in the brand.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The truck is at the dealer. They have isolated where the sound (rotating humming sound) is coming from. Its in back of engine near the transmission. I wish they would have done long block replacement instead of a short block. There working with the Nissan engineers to figure out what the hell is going on. Its been real fun having every loaner vehicle on the lot. So far I've had a Kicks, Versa, Frontier, Rogue and a Titan. I actually I really liked the Frontier. Great little pickup! I'm really starting to lose faith in the brand.
I hear u man... No telling what they forgot or didn't put back correctly....

I recall another member had his tranny screwed up when they replaced his engine...

Let’s hope it something simple and they take care of u...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I hear you but other brands are now using 0w-20 as well and don’t hear of engine damage or failures with their vehicles. My 2014 Sentra has been using it since new and it has no lubrication isssues nor does my 2018 Rogue.
I’m waiting for Nissan to further extend the warranty on the Titans engines to smooth the waters on nervous owners minds. They did it for the Frontiers and Pathfinders in the years with the transmission/radiator failures and the CVT transmissions on the Sentras too. It may may happen on other models or years that I no longer own and am not aware of.

Clint
I had an 08’ Altima with the cvt...even though I never had any issues Nissan sent me a letter extending the cvt warranty to 10yrs 120,000 miles...

Nissan can restore faith in these trucks if they do something similar for the Titan engines..

We want our Endurance V8’s to endure!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is getting real silly! I've only put 6500 miles on it since I've purchased it. I contacted Nissan Consumers affairs today and opened case.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I hear u man... No telling what they forgot or didn't put back correctly....

I recall another member had his tranny screwed up when they replaced his engine...

Let’s hope it something simple and they take care of u...
That would be me. Tranny was vibrating like an SOB on takeoff. But Nissan have since replaced the truck restoring my faith in the brand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That would be me. Tranny was vibrating like an SOB on takeoff. But Nissan have since replaced the truck restoring my faith in the brand.

How did you manage pull that off? Was the truck on the verge of blowing up? Did you have to pay out any money?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can someone explain me the real cause of that knocking sound?? P.s. I had a short block replacement in canada

901 - 920 of 1098 Posts