Nissan Titan Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1128 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks man this gives an idea of the range of “good blocks”....
We hope, anyway... Nissan's complete refusal to even consider a warranty extension makes me wonder...

Planning to scope every single cylinder before I lose lemon law protections this coming July.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is my third second gen Titan.... one was mexico, india, current was japan
3 Second Gen Titan's and only the 19 has the problem? That is interesting.
BTW, I'll get to that block number eventually. I am still running with the 19PR with a build date of 9/18 and no knock on cold start-up.

·
Registered
773 Posts
3 Second Gen Titan's and only the 19 has the problem? That is interesting.
BTW, I'll get to that block number eventually. I am still running with the 19PR with a build date of 9/18 and no knock on cold start-up.
And the 18’ Armada.. So I have experience with 4 of these engines... The 16’ and 17’ were golden....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't even guess.. Rarely gets below freezing down here... Yet two of my vehicles got it and the other two didn't. Same oil and everything...
Does it knock while in Park, idling? I have zero knock at idle in P, but when I shift to D or R I get a little knocking that fades away somewhat as the vehicle warms up. It's only audible at a stop, with the windows down, in a quiet area and no external noises but as soon as I shift back to P, nothing. The sound has not gotten much louder if at all, and it's been a while. Personally it sounds abnormal to me but the dealer kept it for a day and the tech said he didn't hear anything abnormal sounds. No scope of the cylinders was done. I was going to send my oil into Blackstone and see if any excessive metal are detected and if it is, go back and use it to get them to scope it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I, like some you, bought this truck to keep for 10-15 years. I was thrilled when I test drove this truck. The price was unbeatable and so much lower than a similarly equipped 1/2 ton GM, Ram, Ford. Resale values seem to be way down and little demand. The solution is to have all cylinders scoped by an independent shop at about year 4.5. Then take the results to Nissan if scoring or pitting is present. If it has not happened by year 4.5 we should be in the clear? We should know by year 4.5 how the replacements have fared.

This forum is great for keeping us all informed in the absence of info from Nissan. Other than this engine knocking issue most of us have relatively minor problems. I always look forward to driving mine, even after 19 months.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Does it knock while in Park, idling? I have zero knock at idle in P, but when I shift to D or R I get a little knocking that fades away somewhat as the vehicle warms up. It's only audible at a stop, with the windows down, in a quiet area and no external noises but as soon as I shift back to P, nothing. The sound has not gotten much louder if at all, and it's been a while. Personally it sounds abnormal to me but the dealer kept it for a day and the tech said he didn't hear anything abnormal sounds. No scope of the cylinders was done. I was going to send my oil into Blackstone and see if any excessive metal are detected and if it is, go back and use it to get them to scope it. Thoughts?
I started to notice a deep dull knock from drivers side engine area while driving...at all speeds especially when accelerating. More noticeable on smoother roads and I almost confused it with tire noise.. The colder it is the louder it is.

Also when stopped in gear u can hear it. Sometimes in park you cant hear it...

I have had several 1st gen and 2 gen Titans and a Armada. It is normal to have some engine noise when temps are cold and before engine warms up. With this issue knock never goes away after engine warms up...

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 18 seems to have a knock more so on the drivers side also, Just not sure how bad these are knocking before replacement. My build date is 3/18. Don't know where to find engine build date

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my truck. I don't have a knock that I notice at the moment ('17 model XD P4X). I'll drive it until the wheels come off. If it develops a knock, I still have plenty of time and miles to get the short block replaced under warranty. IF by that time, I don't have a knock, I highly doubt I will ever get one. Just absolutely love this truck. And that is after owning F150, Ram 1500, and a Tundra. This is by far, hands down, my most favorite truck of all of them.

1021 - 1040 of 1128 Posts