Nissan Titan Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1273 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work for Nissan service in 8525 Leesburg Pike, Vienna VA 22182 and we have had an increase on 2017-2018 Nissan Titans XD with the gas engine. Some customers are experiencing a knocking while the engine is cold and also a loss of power. Nissan has launched a bulletin (NTB19-057) if you are one of the customer experiencing this please contact your nearest dealer. We are located in Virginia if you'd like to talk please contact me (Jorge Sariles @ [email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK. This is becoming a well known issue now. I go in this Wednesday for my diagnosis.

Some of you are getting a long block replacement, some of you are getting short block replacement, some are being told that their engine isn't going to be replaced until Nissan has a fix.

So does Nissan have a fix? Anything posted publicly by Nissan about this issue?

I really don't want to be told that they will replace my engine only to have the problem come back again because an engine of the same design will be put back in.

It's bad enough to be replaced once even worse if it has to happen twice. In these situations, the vehicle will never be the same again. Guaranteed there will be fitment problems, rattle problems and other mechanical issues that will show up later on.

I work for Nissan service in 8525 Leesburg Pike, Vienna VA 22182 and we have had an increase on 2017-2018 Nissan Titans XD with the gas engine. Some customers are experiencing a knocking while the engine is cold and also a loss of power. Nissan has launched a bulletin (NTB19-057) if you are one of the customer experiencing this please contact your nearest dealer. We are located in Virginia if you'd like to talk please contact me (Jorge Sariles @ [email protected]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello,

This question may have already been asked before, just got off the phone with the dealer, as soon as I described the noise they said most likely they will have to replace my engine, for those who have already gone through an engine replacement, what have been the outcome, any further issues?

At this point I’m considering just buying a different truck before even going through any replacement, my warranty is up in 1 year and half and I don’t see this truck like something I should be keeping long term.

I don’t know, maybe just over reacting but the closest Nissan dealer to me is 400km away and I’m tired of taking time off work to deal with all the issues this truck has brought me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello,

This question may have already been asked before, just got off the phone with the dealer, as soon as I described the noise they said most likely they will have to replace my engine, for those who have already gone through an engine replacement, what have been the outcome, any further issues?

At this point I’m considering just buying a different truck before even going through any replacement, my warranty is up in 1 year and half and I don’t see this truck like something I should be keeping long term.

I don’t know, maybe just over reacting but the closest Nissan dealer to me is 400km away and I’m tired of taking time off work to deal with all the issues this truck has brought me.

First off, I don’t think you have much to worry about. I have had two engines replaced. These techs appear to have this process down pretty good at this point. I got my truck back a week ago. I had one issue with the USB port not working inside the truck that may or may not be related to the engine change. The engine itself sounds great. The truck drives quiet and smooth. Gas mileage even seemed to improve, although that could be the warmer weather. Net net is, you probably in pretty good hands with doing the engine swap.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,247
Hello,

~18,000 on my replacement. So far so good. Had one loose bolt on a clamp that I had tighten is the only thing I found so far.

With that said...I still feel it's not the same truck anymore. No way a dealer rips everything apart like shown in some of the pictures in this thread and then gets everything put back together correctly. I feel that somewhere down the road I'm going to have a problem of some sort and it will circle back to it being because the engine was replaced.

I lease the vehicle so I plan to turn it in and be rid of it in 2021. If I decide to hang onto it then I will only hold onto it until the warranty expires. If it wasn't for the engine replacement I probably would have kept it 10-15 years like my last Titan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
32785km = 20,000 miles
scuffing diagnosed today new short block on order.
Going in for replacement March 17, 2020

I am somewhat relieved as i didn't like worrying about this.

I live in Southern BC, Canada.

I only heard the knock on cold start up, with window open, in reverse, with brake on.
Did not knock that i could her after she warmed up.

My take is its all of them from a date to a date.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,249
My take is its all of them from a date to a date.
Agreed. There is a string of days or maybe even weeks in a row where this problematic engine was put in X number of vehicles and made it to the dealer lots.

Pretty simple...When you make things the same old way you get the same old results.

·
Registered
105 Posts
~18,000 on my replacement. So far so good. Had one loose bolt on a clamp that I had tighten is the only thing I found so far.

With that said...I still feel it's not the same truck anymore. No way a dealer rips everything apart like shown in some of the pictures in this thread and then gets everything put back together correctly. I feel that somewhere down the road I'm going to have a problem of some sort and it will circle back to it being because the engine was replaced.

I lease the vehicle so I plan to turn it in and be rid of it in 2021. If I decide to hang onto it then I will only hold onto it until the warranty expires. If it wasn't for the engine replacement I probably would have kept it 10-15 years like my last Titan.
Thanks for the replies, I ended up trading it for a new f-150, I know no truck is perfect but I cannot keep on taking time off work to drive 400km with all the issues this truck have given me, cooling fan clutch replacement, timing cover leak, passenger seat occupancy module replacement, recall, door seal replacements because at highway speeds felt like you were driving with a window open and now this knocking sound..... And a lot of the time it took two different trips, one for diagnosis and then one for when parts arrived.

And my truck only had 64k, I can’t imagine the kind of issues I would’ve kept having as I put more mileage.

Good luck everyone with this issue and hope Nissan makes it right for ya.

·
Premium Member
19,832 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I ended up trading it for a new f-150, I know no truck is perfect but I cannot keep on taking time off work to drive 400km with all the issues this truck have given me, cooling fan clutch replacement, timing cover leak, passenger seat occupancy module replacement, recall, door seal replacements because at highway speeds felt like you were driving with a window open and now this knocking sound..... And a lot of the time it took two different trips, one for diagnosis and then one for when parts arrived.

And my truck only had 64k, I can’t imagine the kind of issues I would’ve kept having as I put more mileage.

Good luck everyone with this issue and hope Nissan makes it right for ya.

Welcome to the Ford side. Maybe I'll see you over at ford-trucks.com.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agreed. There is a string of days or maybe even weeks in a row where this problematic engine was put in X number of vehicles and made it to the dealer lots.

Pretty simple...When you make things the same old way you get the same old results.
So do we know from what dates to what dates? Whats the earliest made confirmed case and the last made confirmed case?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I simply asked what the process was and on recommendation and support from my dealership, I decided to proceed. It was surprisingly simple, but just took about 6 weeks to complete. The truck had a host of other issues including: Engine Knock, tranny issues, seat issues (both driver and passenger) they replaced both seats for seat heater issues, all 4 wheels were replaced because of the crackling noise, the rear tailgate finisher was replaced. The truck was at the dealership for more than 30 days accumulated. Under New Hampshire Lemon Law, that’s grounds for replacement. Also, I was in more than 3 times for the seat heater which is also grounds for replacement in NH. 6 weeks later I drive in with my 18 PR and drove out with the exact same truck except it was a 19PR. Nissan and the dealership were amazingly supportive and the process was amazingly simple despite the time required to complete the entire process. Oh, I only had to pay the price difference between 18 and 19 which was $700. It was all a no brained for me. I went from 22k miles to 0 miles for $700.

Didn’t you say you were good friends with the dealership owner? Process may be different for others.

·
Registered
319 Posts
They are. But I was talking about my experience with Nissan. The dealer didn’t have anything to do with corporate Nissan.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,257
So do we know from what dates to what dates? Whats the earliest made confirmed case and the last made confirmed case?
Nobody knows the answer to the question except Nissan. And they ain't gonna tell us...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nobody knows the answer to the question except Nissan. And they ain't gonna tell us...
Mine was built in August 2017. Do we know any on this thread with an older build date that got the short block (or long) swap? I know there are dates newer than my build date, just looking to see if there are any older. My truck is at 21,000 miles and it doesn't knock that I can really tell except for once in a blue moon. I suspect I have the issue, but since its so warmer in AZ, I don't notice it. I'll definitely take mine in at some point and have them check the cylinders for scoring (long before the warranty is up). And I'm having Nissan do all my oil changes just in case so they don't say anything when the short block replacement is needed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sitting at the dealership right now. Truck is a 2018 and has 10,000 miles on it. Knocking has gone on for about a month. Live in Maine with a lot of cold nights.
My engine smokes a lot in the morning though. Is that common with the 5 & 7 cylinder problem or is that another issue I’m having?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sitting at the dealership right now. Truck is a 2018 and has 10,000 miles on it. Knocking has gone on for about a month. Live in Maine with a lot of cold nights.
My engine smokes a lot in the morning though. Is that common with the 5 & 7 cylinder problem or is that another issue I’m having?
My guess is that oil is now leaking. Probably good you are having it changed. Get the long block. Btw, I live in NH. Nissan in Concord NH had a tech that has done this several times. He is real good. You can’t even tell my engine was changed. He has the process down. Maybe you can go there to get it done.

1241 - 1260 of 1273 Posts