Nissan Titan Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1387 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 17 Titan SV, took it in for a TCM and ECM upgrade in the end of March. They heard the knock before I did. 35k miles. They replaced the short block. Western NY

·
Registered
610 Posts
The problem with the Tundra motor is it sucks gas like no tomorrow...
Cam tower leak is common also ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 17 Titan SV, took it in for a TCM and ECM upgrade in the end of March. They heard the knock before I did. 35k miles. They replaced the short block. Western NY
What dealership in Western ny. I can faintly here it in my '17 pro4x and I also live in Western ny.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had mine done also in WNY. It was done about 5k miles ago, no issues so far. It was done by the Nissan Dealer on Southwestern BLVD. I wont take it to the dealer in Amherst as I took my truck to them for a simple brake job and they didnt tighten the bolts on the caliper more than finger tight, so if you cant do that, not sure I would trust you to replace my engine.

When I was there the tech said this was the 4th one he has done in the past few weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had mine done also in WNY. It was done about 5k miles ago, no issues so far. It was done by the Nissan Dealer on Southwestern BLVD. I wont take it to the dealer in Amherst as I took my truck to them for a simple brake job and they didnt tighten the bolts on the caliper more than finger tight, so if you cant do that, not sure I would trust you to replace my engine.

When I was there the tech said this was the 4th one he has done in the past few weeks.
  • I use the same one on Southwestern. They have been good to me so far. I've never been to the one in Amherst. Nice to hear that you have had no problems so far.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,329 (Edited)
Was just hanging with a friend last that works at the local Nissan dealer. She works in the financial department at the dealership. Last night she told me there have been a lot of Titans through the dealership for engine replacement and that for each one that comes through Nissan has to pay them $14,000

·
Registered
830 Posts
Looking at online Nissan parts dealers the long blocks go for about $10k and short blocks about $2500 to $3k..

The heads must have diamond encrusted valves!!! No wonder they only want to do short blocks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to the forum and new to the Nissan Titan. I just bought a 2019 SL and was going to change the muffler to a Magnaflow muffler but keep the exhaust stock. If engine knocking occurs in the future would changing only the muffler be bad for the warranty and engine replacement if knocking occurs? Hopefully it never happens. I had 3 other trucks in the past and had some minor issues but not knocking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While our 2016 Titan XD just go approved for a new long block there are none avaialble and the assembly plant is shut down til further notice because of COVID-19.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
New to the forum and new to the Nissan Titan. I just bought a 2019 SL and was going to change the muffler to a Magnaflow muffler but keep the exhaust stock. If engine knocking occurs in the future would changing only the muffler be bad for the warranty and engine replacement if knocking occurs? Hopefully it never happens. I had 3 other trucks in the past and had some minor issues but not knocking.
It won’t affect the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks appreciate it.
I bought a magnaflow to put on my 2012 SL but haven’t done it yet. It isn’t a perfect match up so a shop will have to do some work to get it on. One of these days I’m going to learn to weld so I can do this stuff myself. Let me know how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just wanted to give a shout out to you guys. I got about 6000 miles on new short block. Its running real smooth. Very happy with truck now. I'm glad Nissan fixed it. I still think its one best trucks out there. My buddy out in California is fighting with Ford right now. His F150 5.0L is knocking and he's outside of the warranty. The knock sounds just like the Titan. Check this out:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Has anyone had a catastrophic engine failure from the knock? I’ve seen pictures of scored cylinders but what parts are knocking? Are the pistons rocking in the cylinders? Nobody has said piston slap, oilers is all they’ve said to date. It’s not the rods as far as I know.
It’s sad that they can’t come out and state what the actual findings are. The buyers paid their hard earned money in good faith.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
On occasion I’ve thought I hear something then again this may make us think we hear something. It’s enough to start thinking about a 2020 except they make it like our current trucks have no value, I told a salesman if mine has no value neither does yours so now it’s only a matter of the cost difference in between. He was at a loss for words as he has no upper hand. I found one like mine except I have leather and the new SV’s no longer has that as an option.

Clint

1321 - 1340 of 1387 Posts