Nissan Titan Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1385 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sounds like rod knock right? Sounds more like a deep sound vs a lighter slapping sound? No oil loss due to slapping either. I want answers lol

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sounds like rod knock right? Sounds more like a deep sound vs a lighter slapping sound? No oil loss due to slapping either. I want answers lol
Most complain about the noise at idle. On mine with the radio off you can hear it on drivers side while driving...especially during acceleration.. Noise is almost like a tire with a flat spot or bad belt...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I hear the noise on the videos. Just sounds too deep to be piston slap more like a rod knock. I hope we find out one way or another

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I had a rod knock in a Ford 302, these trucks sound quiet compared to that sound, it was a true deep knock. If these engines are scored they should have compromised ring yo cylinder sealing as well and would fail a leak down test or compression test.
mid think they’d be consuming oil too.
I’m currently sitting in my idling truck next to the side of my house and I’m so used to how it sounds I have no idea what to think anymore.

Clint

·
Registered
830 Posts
My scoring pics are buried somewhere in this thread... Technically I believe the sound is really piston slap sound.. The piston skirts on these motors are amazingly short so the sound is not quite like the slap sound my grandpa's 72’ f150 with the 390cid made!!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Does the sound lessen when you give it some throttle in park? No matter what brand you buy they have issues. Just wish they wouldn't use us consumers as R&D.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Does the sound lessen when you give it some throttle in park? No matter what brand you buy they have issues. Just wish they wouldn't use us consumers as R&D.
Yes, but put in drive and while holding brake carefully rev it under load. I can hear it in mine...

Not too much throttle unless u want an extra garage door opening....

My 17’ SL with almost 40k never had this issue. If it did I sure as hell wouldn't have purchased another... Current and previous driven and maintained the exact same way.. Just some fluke issue.... I bet Nissan still doesn't exactly know what causes it...

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're correct, Kenedy - If Nissan knew what the cause was, they would have fixed it. Otherwise, they're losing a bunch of money on paying for the engine replacements since any of the 2nd gens under 100k miles is still under factory warranty.

That being said: I still hold firm with the thought that this is a manufacturing error - my guess would be an error in machining. This exact engine has been in the Infiniti QX56/QX80 and the Nissan Patrol since 2011 and those have not had this issue. Many people have seen 200k+ miles with no engine issues aside from exhaust manifolds (just like the 1st gen titans). I'm not sure when/if Nissan North America will determine the problem and remedy it, but I hope it's soon because this engine is fantastic without the worry of this knocking.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wish we could tell by serial number where engine was made? I know they switched manufacturing from japan to TN at one point but I have a real low number and it came with a Japanese oil filter and no knock...yet.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You're correct, Kenedy - If Nissan knew what the cause was, they would have fixed it. Otherwise, they're losing a bunch of money on paying for the engine replacements since any of the 2nd gens under 100k miles is still under factory warranty.

That being said: I still hold firm with the thought that this is a manufacturing error - my guess would be an error in machining. This exact engine has been in the Infiniti QX56/QX80 and the Nissan Patrol since 2011 and those have not had this issue. Many people have seen 200k+ miles with no engine issues aside from exhaust manifolds (just like the 1st gen titans). I'm not sure when/if Nissan North America will determine the problem and remedy it, but I hope it's soon because this engine is fantastic without the worry of this knocking.
I do have faith they will have it figured out.. Knocking aside I love mine!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find it hard to believe they don't know which batch is affected. There must be a change in manufacturing, supplier or something in a specific time frame that it can be tracked back to.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
They must know, Chrysler quietly changed bearing suppliers for the superchargers but were trying to blame it on the owner until their caught wind of the change. Poof the $7000 plus repair became a free under warranty repair.
Nissan is so stupid they don’t know.

Clint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings,
Thanks for all the posts and information. I am in the market for a V8 NVP. Does anyone know when the fix was implemented at the engine plant in TN?

I have seen some dates in 2019 thrown around but nothing definitive.

Has anyone had any problems with 2019 model year V8s?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm gonna agree with Clint, I don't know if I have the knock or if it's psychosomatic. That being said, has Nissan fixed the issue with the new long or short blocks? Or should I hold out a little longer for when they DO fix it. I love my truck and having the replacement isn't going to deter me but I don't want to be in the same boat down the road.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2019 Nissan Titan engine and engine cooling TSB (Bulletin NTB19-057a)
Bulletin Date:Apr. 3, 2020
Component:Engine and engine cooling.
Bulletin Summary:Engine knock or tick noise this bulletin has been amended. See amendment history on the last page. Please discard previous versions of this bulletin.
Vehicles covered in this TSB:2017 Nissan Armada, 2018 Nissan Armada, 2019 Nissan Armada, 2017 Nissan NV, 2018 Nissan NV, 2019 Nissan NV, 2017 Nissan Titan, 2018 Nissan Titan, 2019 Nissan Titan.

very interesting, NTB19-057 is now 19-057a (adding the 2019's on April 3, 2020)

·
Registered
8 Posts
So the 2019s have been added as having the ticking/knocking issue? A little worried since I just bought this truck 2 months ago and traded in my Ram. Now my wife will be wondering when I listen near the engine what I am doing.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Just drive it and enjoy it, it is a great truck period. You’ll deal with it IF it becomes an issue and that’s not anything definite.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Thanks Clint appreciate the input and so far I love the truck.
Mine is two years old on 6/2, it’s been from NJ to Florida 5 times, NJ to Atlanta twice and NJ to Virginia 3 times and many more miles in between with ZERO issues, so go out there and drive the wheels off it.
what a nice ride it has.

Clint

1341 - 1360 of 1385 Posts