Nissan Titan Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1387 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just drive it and enjoy it, it is a great truck period. You’ll deal with it IF it becomes an issue and that’s not anything definite.

Clint
Thats what I'm doing.. Thanks to the 5yr 100k warranty I can enjoy my new truck now and worry about the knock later. At almost 30k and no other issues besides the noise that only I and none of my friends notice.. They think I am crazy...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 is in the shop now for a short block replacement due to this issue. For those of you who have had the short block replaced how long was your truck in the shop? I am on day 34. The dealer has had the block since 5/13 and Nissan tells me the dealer is giving the truck the “highest priority“. 🤯. They are now telling me maybe it will be finished on 5/22.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I also wouldn’t enjoy the wait but would welcome that nice new engine. Makes the truck almost new again.

Clint

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are still waiting on the new long block for our 2016 Titan XD. We actually got the truck back from the dealer and are using it. We are also concerned about failure. Talked with some people and this is either a piston slap issue (skirts) or the pistons were undersized for the cylinders. Ours had scoring on the walls, knock is obvious at idle. This does not sound like a rod knock to me. When reving those have the classic double tap noise. This does not behave the same way. As for our new motor, the plant in TN is still shut down and there are no new motors in the warehouses. Ours has to be built. We may be waiting for quite a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
radin2son on the NV forum pointed me to car complaints.com where I was able to pull the TSB. TSB 19-057a applies to:

Titan/Titan XD built before:
1N6AA1(***)KN 518811 // January 10, 2019

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the dreaded ticking develop over last winter. Truck has 24,000 Km. Just confirmed by local dealer in Calgary that short block swap is required. They have a block but some of the bits and pieces are back ordered. The dealer knew as soon as I called to make appointment and didn’t try and BS me. They have already done about 20 of them which is a lot given that I doubt they sell more than 40 a year. Hopefully the new block does the trick I really like the truck otherwise. We’ll see. Ugh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, 2017 titan seems to have developped the engine knock after its second winter. Second because i bought it new in 2018...

My local dealer is so busy, with winter tire swap and pandemic measure they have a huge backlog, so they mention june 22nd for the “diagnostic”. When i mentionned the issue, i now have a june 2nd appointment...

We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine is a 18 SV with in service 11/18, manufacture date of 7/18 for those keeping score.

Thinking of looking at some F150's if i can swing a good enough deal on a trade in these Covid times (I bought the Titan at 40% off MSRP so hopefully I wont get hosed too much on trade). But is Ford any better? Who the heck knows! Maybe just stick it out a while longer with the Titan as at least it has a 5 year warranty compared to 3 for the others?

I'm torn. I just have zero tolerance for reliability issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry new to all this. So if the sticker on the door of my Titan says manufactured 11/19, does that mean it was taken care of and I should be good?
Should be good. According to Nissan this only impacts 2019's build before January 10, 2019 but you could double check your engine serial number too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How does the new TSB correspond with 2019 (s) on here that have the issue?
build date of those?

It appears nissan knows exactly when the last bad ones were installed (and probably the first)

If yours is within the dates, I'd think it is just a matter of time.

Lets hope nissan got the fix right the first time.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Question. Those that have had their engines replaced have you asked to keep any and all parts replaced. It would seem some parts with the engine could be used down the line when those parts fail or are all your old parts used. I would also think they need the parts of the engine back they replaced either by law or for testing evaluation purpose. It would seem you paid for that entire engine it’s not your fault they screwed up I would want any parts on it I could use down the road. Sorry if silly question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Question. Those that have had their engines replaced have you asked to keep any and all parts replaced. It would seem some parts with the engine could be used down the line when those parts fail or are all your old parts used. I would also think they need the parts of the engine back they replaced either by law or for testing evaluation purpose. It would seem you paid for that entire engine it’s not your fault they screwed up I would want any parts on it I could use down the road. Sorry if silly question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If gets put back in the “bucket” and send back. Since most everyone just gets a short block there’s nothing of value to keep.
Besides who wants to keep a block laying around as in all honestly you’d never need or touch.

Clint

1361 - 1380 of 1387 Posts