Nissan Titan Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1496 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the dealer can't get it done in time or provide some sort of loaner I will probably wait. Both times mine has done something weird. When I drive up a high canyon it loses oil from the valve covers and it burns up when it lands on the manifold. Doesn't loose much, but still worrisome I might burn a valve and be left stranded. This next trip I'll be driving to a base elevation of 9000 ft.
Dealer wanted to provide us with a loaner but the problem is I'm not sure the specs would be good enough for our upcoming trip. We tow a 9500lb 5th wheel and our Titan XD had a payload that was already being pushed to the edge with the camper pin weight. Any less capability on a 2k mile round trip adventure in the mountains could spell trouble. That's why we decided to just go ahead and purchase a new truck. If they had handed off the truck to me with a new engine by the end of this week I would never be able to rack the kind of miles on it that are needed with a new motor before we left. We got our new 3500 this past weekend and so far we really like it and it matches up nicely with our 5th wheel. We already have almost 500 miles on it so it will be ready for a short tow and then an oil change and then be ready for our long journey next week. It seems like we always have to bring the Titan back to the dealer after a repair too, they can never seem to get everything right the first time. :-/

·
Registered
2017 Nissan NV Highroof 4x4
5 Posts
Dealer wanted to provide us with a loaner but the problem is I'm not sure the specs would be good enough for our upcoming trip. We tow a 9500lb 5th wheel and our Titan XD had a payload that was already being pushed to the edge with the camper pin weight. Any less capability on a 2k mile round trip adventure in the mountains could spell trouble. That's why we decided to just go ahead and purchase a new truck. If they had handed off the truck to me with a new engine by the end of this week I would never be able to rack the kind of miles on it that are needed with a new motor before we left. We got our new 3500 this past weekend and so far we really like it and it matches up nicely with our 5th wheel. We already have almost 500 miles on it so it will be ready for a short tow and then an oil change and then be ready for our long journey next week. It seems like we always have to bring the Titan back to the dealer after a repair too, they can never seem to get everything right the first time. :-/
I'm sure you will love your 3500! I've had a 2500 diesel in the past and it towed much better than any gasser I've ever owned. These days I need a big van and the Nissan was the only one that "seemed" rated to also tow a lot of weight. Hopefully the latest engine block is a final fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man, almost seems like they screwed something up during the first engine changeout....

I'm sure all the knockers that have been hitting the service bays as of late are making the techs a bit more skilled at properly replacing the motors...
From reading through this thread is seems there was a production flaw in the early blocks which would have included my new block in July of 2018, so it's not a surprise that new one has gone bad also. I'm sure Nissan management is kicking themselves for not having identified the problem earlier. I can't remember if I got a short block or long block last time, but I'm going to push for a long block this time seeing as my engine has been leaking oil from the valve covers. This may have caused damage to the valves.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve
14 Posts
I think word is getting out on these, Nissan Titan sales are in the toilet. Funny when you see all the auto journalists reviews no one mentions the problem. You think Nissan would want to get ahead of this and reassure potential buyers that the problem is being taken care of and fixed on new trucks. The fact that they are no saying anything makes you wonder if the problem is fixed.
There’s some good deals on 19’s now as the dealers can’t sell these things in Canada. Inquired about a potential upgrade to a Platinum and the Sales guy played dumb and claimed to not know anything about the problem even though his service department is changing one engine a week.
Just purchased a 2019 Platinum Reserve, pick it up Friday... I have read through some pages, then skipped to the end and started going backwards, but when we pick it up will have to check the manufacture date. We got it cheap, due to Nissan incentives and because we believe COVID had affected sales. We were very impressed with the truck, but when you say "asked about upgrade to Platinum" were there less issues with these models?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think
Just purchased a 2019 Platinum Reserve, pick it up Friday... I have read through some pages, then skipped to the end and started going backwards, but when we pick it up will have to check the manufacture date. We got it cheap, due to Nissan incentives and because we believe COVID had affected sales. We were very impressed with the truck, but when you say "asked about upgrade to Platinum" were there less issues with these models?
If your Titan was built after Jan 10 2019 you should be fine..

The block replacement is a fairly complex operation. A quality service department with a good reputation is a must...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think

If your Titan was built after Jan 10 2019 you should be fine..

The block replacement is a fairly complex operation. A quality service department with a good reputation is a must...

So is it a batch of engines or it will happen sooner then later? Mine is a 2019 but it was built 10/18.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No one knows why because Nissan USA/Canada won't say why.

I don't believe it is "hit or miss". I believe it is all of them.

I would get cylinders scoped before warranty expiration by an independent shop, just to be sure.

I have a new short block and intend on having this done. Only way to get peace of mind if you intend on keeping the truck.

Also interesting is the latest version of the TSB allows for "minor" scuffing...

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,472
Nissan really effed this up. 1st generation was plagued with front and rear axle issues and manifold issues. 2nd generation plagued with engine problems, transmission issues and vibration issues.

It's as if they do zero R & D on these truck before releasing them to the public.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a salvage title 2017 Titan with 11,000 miles. Just had bumper repair. Turns out the engine has a knock and it looks like it’s the 7th cylinder. Any chance Nissan replaces this engine even though it is the Factory issue?

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
If it’s under warranty why wouldn’t they?

Clint

·
Registered
24 Posts
They started work on the truck this past Monday. Work still has not been completed. Glad we bought a new truck! No way we would have had time to break in the motor properly by next Wednesday. I suspect that it might be ready by the end of day today? But I'm not certain. Last text I got was they were test driving it and letting it cool off this morning to re-test some things (add coolant?) Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm sure you will love your 3500! I've had a 2500 diesel in the past and it towed much better than any gasser I've ever owned. These days I need a big van and the Nissan was the only one that "seemed" rated to also tow a lot of weight. Hopefully the latest engine block is a final fix.
So far we really like the 3500. To be honest, the power is insane. We'll be towing with it tomorrow for the first time to a CAT scale. Have to see how it does before our 2k+ Journey.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
So far we really like the 3500. To be honest, the power is insane. We'll be towing with it tomorrow for the first time to a CAT scale. Have to see how it does before our 2k+ Journey.
Good luck and enjoy the new truck.

Clint

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like the my 2017 NV 3500 SL is going in for it's 2nd block replacement. Did the first one at just 7K miles and this one is at 23K miles. When the first one was replaced I thought it was just bad luck. I didn't see any posts about this in the nissanNVforum, but after realizing it was going bad again I started doing some searches about the 5.6 motor in general and found this forum. I'm super bummed about this. I've put a bunch of $$$ into making this a 4x4 family escape vehicle and can't really afford to just dump it. I have to hope they have the bad block problem fixed for good. I should be hearing back from the dealer tomorrow. Last time (July 2018) it took 2 weeks to get the job done. Hoping for sooner as we have cabin booked (paid in full) in about 10 days and need this truck to get all our fun stuff there. Wish me luck.
7/3/20 Update
The dealer says they can't replicate the knocking or the oil leaking and to come pick up the van. It was definitely leaking oil again and burning it up on the manifold even though the engine temps were fine. Does anyone else have oil leaking from the top of the motor? It only happens when I drive up long climbs to high altitudes (8,000ft - 10,000ft altitude). It might be that Nissan is putting off replacement till they are absolutely necessary. I have another high altitude trip next week. If it does it again I'll video the burning oil and insist that they scope cylinders 7 & 5.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
7/3/20 Update
The dealer says they can't replicate the knocking or the oil leaking and to come pick up the van. It was definitely leaking oil again and burning it up on the manifold even though the engine temps were fine. Does anyone else have oil leaking from the top of the motor? It only happens when I drive up long climbs to high altitudes (8,000ft - 10,000ft altitude). It might be that Nissan is putting off replacement till they are absolutely necessary. I have another high altitude trip next week. If it does it again I'll video the burning oil and insist that they scope cylinders 7 & 5.
Find a dealer willing to try and work for your best interest, not Nissans.

Clint

·
Registered
24 Posts
7/3/20 Update
My dealer said the same thing...I recorded the sound though and I played it for them and then miraculously a tech heard the knock on the second attempt to hear it. LOL

1461 - 1480 of 1496 Posts