Nissan Titan Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve seen the tsm that talks about the oil jets but it also refers to the pistons and bore. Is it the oil not cooling the piston causing it to warp? Or is it a combination of bad parts, assembly’s or engineering?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,642
My understanding is oil not getting to the piston due to bad assembly of sorts. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong....I don't remember all of the details.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
The oilers are/were not correctly and fully seated so it can’t do its job. If you find the service bulletin online it shows a picture of how it is and how it’s supposed to be.

Clint

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
363 Posts
That all makes sense but the dealership tech told me it was a set of improperly heated cylinders sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
That all makes sense but the dealership tech told me it was a set of improperly heated cylinders sleeves.

Is that his opinion is it it a company decided fact? Too often people at the dealerships speak without being able to back it up.

Clint

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is that his opinion is it it a company decided fact? Too often people at the dealerships speak without being able to back it up.

Clint
He was told that by Nissan Corporate

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Not looking to challenge you but how can that be if it’s always the same cylinder in question? The tsb only refers to engine oilers improperly installed. After reading about this for so long unless he can produce a corporate document stating that fact I don’t believe him.
Incredibly there is very little technical surety on this issue.

Clint

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not looking to challenge you but how can that be if it’s always the same cylinder in question? The tsb only refers to engine oilers improperly installed. After reading about this for so long unless he can produce a corporate document stating that fact I don’t believe him.
Incredibly there is very little technical surety on this issue.

Clint
Please challenge it. I am just giving you what I was told. But, we all know how much fake news exists in the world today!
I noticed that oiler back in 2018 on that same TSB. I mentioned it to the dealership then, but they basically shrugged their collective shoulders at me.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Wasn’t there a bunch of people discussing they were told it was out of round cylinders? The reason keeps evolving but there is only one factual reason for this.

Clint

·
Registered
953 Posts
I still think it was poor metal quality in the cylinder sleeves...#7 cylinder is the last cylinder to receive oil pressure and others have stated scoring on other cylinders..

The most convincing evidence for me is my 17’ and 19’ Titans oil change intervals for severe and normal service were 5000 miles..
On my 20’ Titan the oil change interval for normal service is now 7500 miles....

·
Registered
953 Posts
The oilers are/were not correctly and fully seated so it can’t do its job. If you find the service bulletin online it shows a picture of how it is and how it’s supposed to be.

Clint
Those oilers in the tsb are for lubricating the timing chains....

·
Registered
69 Posts
So my engine was replaced around ~15k. I now have ~46k on the truck. I swear twice this past week during early morning cold starts that I have heard the engine knock come back now. I'm going to be paying attention to it a little more now.
Please keep us posted including the date you had your short block installed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I still think it was poor metal quality in the cylinder sleeves...#7 cylinder is the last cylinder to receive oil pressure and others have stated scoring on other cylinders..

The most convincing evidence for me is my 17’ and 19’ Titans oil change intervals for severe and normal service were 5000 miles..
On my 20’ Titan the oil change interval for normal service is now 7500 miles....
After I got my long block in my 19. The oil interval is now 7500. Interesting!

·
Registered
172 Posts
After I got my long block in my 19. The oil interval is now 7500. Interesting!
Yeah... One thing to keep in mind is that there are different schedules for standard vs severe operating conditions. Here's the list of "severe operating conditions" from the 2020 owner's manual:

• Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles(8 km).
• Repeated short trips of less than 10 miles(16 km) with outside temperatures remaining below freezing.
• Operating in hot weather in stop-and-go“rush hour” traffic.
• Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for long distance, such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use.
• Driving in dusty conditions.
• Driving on rough, muddy or salt spread roads.
• Towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier.

The oil change interval for "severe" operating conditions is 5000 miles.

Personally, I'm starting to think the old tried and true 3000 mile interval wasn't so bad. Oil is cheap!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I change the oil at 5k on all my vehicles and use synthetic if I have the option. My corolla has 230k miles, my f-250 has 250k and my Honda CR-V has 100k all have never had a major issue and sound great with the 5k interval. Don’t use cheap Walmart conventional oil unless you change it more often. I had a truck that I cheaped out on and after maybe 10k miles noticed a sticky lifter sound. I check under the valve covers and there was sludge forming in that short time That Wasn’t there before. Now I was towing tractors ect with this truck but anyways I treated it with sea foam then changed the oil back to synthetic and have never had an issue since and that was like 4 years ago. I do use Walmart synthetic in the Honda and Toyota and have had to remove the valve cover on the Honda recently, it had zero sludge and almost no wear on the cams.

·
Registered
2019 Titan SV 4x4
7 Posts
My 2019 has a 4/2019 manufactured date and the production number on the VIN is about 4,000 after the cutoff listed in the tsb. Will be interesting if the manufactured date/production number cutoffs they give are true...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had my lab done at the 20,000 mile oil change. Don't like the tone of the aluminum!

BRUCE: Copper continued to drop a little more, but aluminum went back up this time. With this engine still being young, it's hard to call aluminum at 7 ppm "poor wear" at this point. We're still getting to know this engine and for most of its life (so far) we've been waiting for wear-in materials to wash out so we can get an actual feel for engine wear. Aluminum comes from pistons and/or bearings and if it increases again next time we'll probably change our tone a little, but it very well may settle back down or at least hold steady around this level. We'll see how it trends. M61521 19 TITAN Synthetic 0W/20

1641 - 1660 of 1722 Posts