Nissan Titan Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,681
So your first engine was replaced due to knock, and the dealership botched the reassembly causing your 2nd engine to fail.... Nice. That's exactly what PRJ and I were afraid of in the context of the short block replacements. But sounds like they REALLY botched yours, haha!
Being one of the early replacements mine was a long block. Was done at ~15,000 miles in 2019. I now have 46k+ miles. However...I think the knock is back. Thought I heard knock again recently. Some cold mornings coming up this week where it can be heard better.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,682
If that's actually true, Nissan needs to do the right thing and step up and issue a recall instead of relying on customers to identify their motor is knocking and complain. How many people will go past the warranty period but still suffer an otherwise premature failure? SHAME on Nissan if that's actually the case.

I'm more inclined to believe that it isn't actually all engines, but maybe I'm just trying to give Nissan the benefit of the doubt...
Recalls are only done if a problem poses a safety issue. So one won't be issued.

And they aren't going to come out and admit any fault (send people letters) cuz it will cost them more money. There is going to small population of Titan owners that will not notice the knock and continue to drive the truck or will trade it in before the knock shows up...Thus they will save money on engine replacements.

Not much different than the previous generation Titan...They told absolutely nobody about the front and rear axle failures, the brake judder issues, the failed radiators and quietly released an extended warranty on the cracked manifold problem.

Sweep it under the rug and hope it goes away...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,684
They are willing to fix it if you bring it in and report the problem. And the dealers have the TSB on the issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They will know if the engine was replaced. If it’s not on there then they did not do it. Nissan has to approve it maybe call them, If these guys wont help?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
367 Posts
Call Nissan? I figure these guys did it because the truck is from corpus and the previous owner lived right outside town.

I will have to look up the number and call

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought when Nissan did a major warranty repair it was entered into their system and could be looked up by any certified Nissan tech, I could be mistaken. You know Nissan has that info, they’re not gonna do a $10k repair without recording the VIN and getting proof of its necessity. In my case they had a specific protocol including video of the cylinder and measurements that had to be submitted to Nissan.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Just dropped off the Armada for a new engine tonight, the head service guy said all 5.6’s in the vin range need a new engine. He just took in a 2019 with the knock.
What is the range of the vins?

Clint

·
Registered
953 Posts
Funny thing is my previous 17’ and 16’ xd has never developed the issue yet my 19’ with an 11/18 build date did..

I have an 18’ Armada that has the knock as well..
The knock on the 18’ armada and 19’ Titan both became noticeable by 10k miles...

The knock on my 19’ progressed rapidly compared to my 18’ Armada that has a bit over 40k.

At 24k my 19’ Titan knock was twice as loud as my Armada is now...

·
Registered
39 Posts
That’s interesting, my armada pretty much always sounded the same. I don’t know if it was just so gradual that I never noticed it but it really wasn’t that bad when I took it in. Like I said mine has close to 50,000 miles and is just getting the knock fixed. Has anybody heard of one actually exploding or losing compression?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
367 Posts
not me, but I just found out about the issue when I got this truck last month, from the site here

·
Registered
953 Posts
That’s interesting, my armada pretty much always sounded the same. I don’t know if it was just so gradual that I never noticed it but it really wasn’t that bad when I took it in. Like I said mine has close to 50,000 miles and is just getting the knock fixed. Has anybody heard of one actually exploding or losing compression?
Don't tempt me... I am almost curious to see how far the motor will go before it blows!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So if my VIN is 1N6AA1*JN539* does mine need to be replaced??

Does the JN come before the KN, as in following the alphabet J then K??

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
So if my VIN is 1N6AA1*JN539* does mine need to be replaced??

Does the JN come before the KN, as in following the alphabet J then K??
Your VIN is is range. The specific character position you're referring to should represent the "model year" of the vehicle. K = 2019 and J = 2018. So I'm assuming you own a 2018 Titan.

As to whether or not your motor needs to replaced, who knows. The TSB just says if the dealer confirms or the customer claims a knocking sound that the dealer is supposed to scope cylinder 7. If they find scoring, then the motor should be replaced. Seems like some people have put considerable mileage on their motors without ever hearing a knock. Whether that's because they aren't knocking or they aren't noticing it is another question.

My old 2017 was knocking very faintly, but when scoped was found to be extensively scored in both cylinders 5 & 7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes 2018. And thanks. My dealer says they have NEVER heard of this issue and have zero complaints. So I'm just getting ducks in line for when I go in. They also state I have to pay the labor fee to have it scoped. I assume the TSB will help once I show them, see how they react then. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My old 2017 was knocking very faintly, but when scoped was found to be extensively scored in both cylinders 5 & 7.
[/QUOTE]
Ditto

1681 - 1700 of 1722 Posts