Nissan Titan Forum banner

The Engine Knock Thread

495K views 3K replies 262 participants last post by  SeanDavy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK. This is becoming a well-known issue now. I go in this Wednesday for my diagnosis.

Some of you are getting a long block replacement, some of you are getting a short block replacement, and some are being told that their engine isn't going to be replaced until Nissan has a fix.

So does Nissan have a fix? Anything posted publicly by Nissan about this issue?

I really don't want to be told that they will replace my engine only to have the problem come back again because an engine of the same design will be put back in.

It's bad enough to be replaced once even worse if it has to happen twice. In these situations, the vehicle will never be the same again. Guaranteed there will be fitment problems, rattle problems, and other mechanical issues that will show up later on.

#2 ·
I for one would be very interested in knowing what kind of diagnosis is done on your truck's engine. With me, the only diagnosis done was the service manager coming out and listening to my engine as it knocked away.

I am one that Nissan Canada has decided to send a short block engine. The Nissan Canada Customer Care Supervisor that I was talking with said that Nissan Tech had determined that the knocking problem is confined to the short block and they have redesigned the short block to eliminate the knocking "forever". That is why I'm getting the short block as all the rest of the components are OK

#3 ·
Ok guys..I have a 2017 Titan Pro4x with the engine knock. At first late last fall the dealer said they were not sure what it was. It has become louder over the winter. My buddy has the same truck ...I read one post on here about the #7 cylinder being bad causing knocking. He took his to the dealer...now has an engine on order. I called my dealer and they confirmed the issue with #7 cylinder. The issue is that it wasn't honed properly. My truck goes in April 29 for an official diagnosis. It seems early builds are effected. Mine was built Nov 29/16.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok guys..I have a 2017 Titan Pro4x with the engine knock. At first late last fall the dealer said they were not sure what it was. It has become louder over the winter. My buddy has the same truck ...I read one post on here about the [URL=https://www.titantalk.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 [/URL] cylinder being bad causing knocking. He took his to the dealer...now has an engine on order. I called my dealer and they confirmed the issue with [URL=https://www.titantalk.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 [/URL] cylinder. The issue is that it wasn't honed properly. My truck goes in April 29 for an official diagnosis. It seems early builds are effected. Mine was built Nov 29/16.
o.k. Somebody please educate me on this.....in an engine plant, how many "stations" are there to "hone" the cylinders? Are we talking perhaps 10 and 1 of them was consistently misaligned so that the #7 cylinder was messed up? Which then turns this into a lottery whether you have an affected unit or not? Or are there fewer stations which would raise everyone's concern? NISSAN has to have an idea of the number of affected units... at some point that misalignment was corrected. As someone else suggested, I don't think your build date matters a bit with this.....they probably prepared engine blocks and pulled them off a rack when they were needed which probably explains the wide assembly date range of the affected units.

#7 ·
I own a 2017 Titan SV that developed the engine knocking about 3-4 weeks ago around 31000 miles. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and mentioned it to the service manager. (He didn't believe me at first) He called me an hour later and let me know I definitely had a problem. They put a camera down inside one of the cylinders (not sure which one) and found scoring on the walls. I've now been without my Titan for almost 2 weeks while it waits for a new long block. I've been told it will be released for shipping to the dealership on April 25th. By then it will be almost a month without the truck. Its all covered under warrantee but I worry just like others in this thread that the problem has not been contained yet by Nissan.

#9 ·
Helluva 1st post … sorry it took a major problem to find and sign up on Titantalk !

31k miles and just started making noise … are you in a cold climate too ?

#11 ·
Dealer confirmed the knocking on mine tonight. Took video of the sound and has to send it into Nissan for their review before further action can be taken.

Mechanic told me that they have replaced 2 motors already and they were both long blocks and that they are an updated engine design.

They gave me a loaner car (2019 Frontier) that is being paid for by Nissan.

#483 ·
There is a NTSB19-057 for this knocking noise
I just found out about the TSB for this problem yesterday so I don’t even know if the dealership is even aware of this TSB
So my 2017 titanSL has been at the dealership for 2 months they are supposed to be replacing the short block due to scores in # 3&5 cylinders according to the TSB the problem is the design of the oiling system so they are sending additional parts to be installed which are directional spraying fittings that they are supposed to be installed using a hammer to drive them in to certain oil journals are supposed to correct the problem with
Insufficient oiling to the lower part of the pistons the pistons do not have skirts like normal ones would

#12 ·
Glad Nissan is stepping up..

I wonder what they will do for those of us who live down south.. If the issue doesnt affect warm climate Titans I would be ok with a 10yr 150 extended warranty on the engine...

Hmmm.. cant visit friends up north in winter without risking engine issues...

#15 ·
Cold start up is probably harder on the engine than if it were in a warmer climate, slow oil flow initially maybe?
We did have a particularly nasty winter this year so I'm just glad mine sits mostly in a heated garage. (-30's can go to hell)

Hope they take good care of you...

#16 ·
With 0-20 synthetic oil, it should flow pretty well I’d think. Time will tell, I’m at 18,000 miles and going to Florida in two weeks so that’ll be a 2500 mile trek.

Clint

#31 ·
I visited my dealer today to get an update on my Titan that has been there for almost 2 weeks waiting for a new long block. I was informed that there is a back order of over 500 engines that need to be replaced so far. Sounds like this is a really big issue. I was also informed that the engine that I thought was coming next week would now be delayed. Ugh.

#36 · (Edited)
Well allegedly they did some cold weather testing. But how many miles is the question? My knock didn't show up until about 10,000 miles. Bought the truck in late August 2018 and my knocking showed up this winter in Feb/March...had a lot of 20 below zero stretches in there.

So far I haven't seen any knocking reports from those in the warm climates.

At best I bet they racked up 5,000 miles or less testing. Lots of "marketing fluff" in the video to make consumers feel all warm and fuzzy about purchasing a Titan.

https://www.motor1.com/news/54199/n...her-testing-regimen-for-the-2016-titan-video/

https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan...n-titan-truckumentary-chapter-5-heart-of-cold

#37 ·
If Nissan was really serious about testing the new Titan in cold weather, they should have brought the Titan to Winnipeg cause in Jan/Feb I bet you that we're a lot colder than Fairbanks. On the video from Fairbanks, I didn't even see the commentator's breath - not cold enough.

When my truck's knocking became audible to me in early February, 2019, Winnipeg was having temperatures in the -30 degree C range. I had just over 40,000kms on it. Prior to this, I had gone through two Winnipeg winters with no issues.

Sure would be nice if Nissan comes clean and tell us what the major issue is/was and how many vehicles Titan/Armadas were affected - Am I asking too much ???

#38 ·
what a disaster....good luck guys

#40 ·
So I don’t have it yet. I live in the south. I also only put about 6000-8000 miles a year on my truck. So it’s possible I could not have it happen until after my 5 years warranty is up.

Just my opinion, but at this point, I think there’s a decent chance they a significant amount have the issue. It will fail at some point whether you live in a cold climate or not.

I’m fairly PO’d cause I buy trucks to keep, not trade in every 3-5 years. I guess it’s just a matter of doing the math to see what will be the worse loss. Trade in now or later before the warranty is up. Or wait it out and hope it doesn’t happen. Or wait it out and think I’m okay and then 3 days after the warranty expires it starts knocking.

Reactions: basketcase
#44 ·
I sure hope it's just an unfortunate bad batch of motors that somehow got past quality control? Because, if it's related to cold that will rule a Titan out for me because here in northern Minnesota we have routinely been getting -20F to -40F the last few winters. Heck my old 5.4 Ford Triton can handle it, there is no excuse for a brand new Nissan 5.6. As the poster from Winnipeg mentioned earlier, if Nissan really wants to cold weather test, then go to northern Minnesota or Winnipeg in January and February, we are a lot colder than a good portion of even Alaska during those months.

#46 · (Edited)
Status update:

Truck has been sitting at the dealer since April 17th. Was told that day that motor would be in Tuesday the 23rd and should have truck back Friday the 26th.

It's now Wednesday the 24th and the motor hasn't come in and they don't know when it will be coming in. I was told my case has been escalated to "Nissan Customer Care Status" (whatever that means) and that I should have an update tomorrow.

I did confirm that I'm still getting the long block. I'm guessing I won't see my truck until sometime in May.

#54 ·
My 2017 Titan SV has been at the dealer on the lift in their service bay since April 8th. I received word that the new long block was delivered to the dealer yesterday and the truck may be ready next Wednesday. It will be almost a month for me without my vehicle. They can take as long as needed to put it back together correctly.

#47 ·
I assume that Nissan is installing improved engines in the Trucks/SUVs/Vans in the factory now. Does anyone know what date that started happening? In other words, "for those with build dates from ????? you do not have to worry about this happening to you".

#48 ·
Build dates are all over - mine was Sept 2016; one was Dec 2017 so there doesn't appear to be a real pattern

#55 ·
Nissan dealer never called me back today. I don't have high hopes that I'll have my brand new truck back anytime soon.

Since I financed thru Nissan I'm going to call them and let them know they will not be receiving any payments from me until I get my truck back. I'm not about to pay for a truck that I can't drive

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#56 ·
Nissan dealer never called me back today. I don't have high hopes that I'll have my brand new truck back anytime soon.

Since I financed thru Nissan I'm going to call them and let them know they will not be receiving any payments from me until I get my truck back. I'm not about to pay for a truck that I can't drive
Do that and watch you credit score drop like a rock. Sure I understand your reason why but you signed a contract and agreed to make a payment of $XXX on the XX of each month etc., one has nothing to do with the other. While at it why not stop paying your insurance too?
Hope it’s fixed and properly soon.

Clint

Reactions: slyfur1
#57 ·
Reading this thread got me paranoid...I'm getting some sort of knocking noise that is much more noticeable when in D or R and when cold. Not sure if I noticed this ever before but now certainly do with the warmer weather I've been driving with the windows down. I tried to catch it in this video but not sure if it can be heard well in the background. Thoughts? Truck barely has 11k miles.

#61 ·
Reading this thread got me paranoid...I'm getting some sort of knocking noise that is much more noticeable when in D or R and when cold. Not sure if I noticed this ever before but now certainly do with the warmer weather I've been driving with the windows down. I tried to catch it in this video but not sure if it can be heard well in the background. Thoughts? Truck barely has 11k miles.

https://youtu.be/CgiOraXstMU
Yup. I heard it. That's the knock

#58 ·
A good rule of thumb is have your engine fully warmed like after a 5 or 10 mile drive. Put engine in park, turn off ac. and listen near the drivers side front wheel well area. If you hear a light dull knock that is normal for current and the 1st gen engines.. sometimes u can hear it with gear in drive, window down, parked next to a wall. During warm up especially during cold temps these engines are very noisy till they are at normal temps... I have had two 1st gen Titans and 2 Armadas and they made this sound.... some slightly louder than others.... the knock never got any worse even beyond 100k. The three 2nd gens I currently have make the similar sound since new....

The knock these guys describe and from what I hear in the videos is very loud u can hear it standing 5 to 10ft from truck and the noise seems to get louder within a few thousand miles...