Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick thought after reading all these posts. I sympathize with all my customers who have had a bad experience somewhere, sometime, at a dealership. I, too, have had bad experiences in my life. And when it comes time for you to visit another one, I'm going to tell you, it's all right to have fear. Most of the salespeople you meet have fear, too. The customers have a lot of different fears going on, and the salespeople have theirs. And after 4 years in this business, I believe that it is the biggest thing that gets in the way of two normally nice people doing business.

But I also want to say that there is a point in the negotiations that I haven't yet figured out. When a dealer is offering to sell a product for less than the invoice amount, how much money do you think is still left to be made? Is $100 too much profit for a $20,000 product? Is $500?? Especially when you know the average dealer only sells about 35 - 50 new vehicles per month.

The hard part for me as a professional internet salesperson is that I know how much I've had to learn about my products the last few years, when every year things change, and with all the different companies and their cars, and learning how to sincerely communicate with people. Selling cars to support a family is a difficult life. Its like being a police officer, or a lawyer - where you're not appreciated until you're needed. I'm thankful everytime I run into a person that has pushed past their fears and have decided to be NICE - it makes my job more fun, more rewarding, and makes it easier for me to really get my customer what it is they truly want. And then when I see them in service, I get to visit with them some more and find out how things are going in their lives.

When a customer can invest in us, it allows us to invest in them. People helping people. That's what has made America strong, and the lack of it is what weakens us. So whether we choose to realize it or not, we need each other. Customers need salespeople, and salespeople need customers. No matter what the product is.

Hope this didn't feel too much like Oprah!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some things that have served me well in buying autos over the years... All of us here are obviously internet savy enough to use the resources of this site, other automotive utilities (edmunds, kbb, nada, etc). Go to the most convenient dealer for your location, test drive, figure out by the ole "butt dyno" what you want and/or need. Give that dealer first crack at doing the best deal but internet shop via email. I agree with newNissans.com, being mature and up front with the salesperson "hey, I really don't want to give out my phone, but since you helped me I'll give you first crack once I shop around and a chance to pricematch but please let me call you" is probably a good idea to keep it on a more professional level. If they press you beyond that threshold you have a clear indicator that isn't a place you want to do business. Do your internet due diligence, shop around, and when you have a proverbial best offer give the 1st guy the shot at matching. (provided he isn't the too pusy type we all know and dread) If he doesn't match for you, go with the person who offers the best deal. To me, that approach seems to be the most equitable to both dealer and individual with a minimum of stress and (real or imagined) ill will. Just my pair of cents...

Lee

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
most new car/truck dealers are willing to make a couple low/no profit deals per month. why? because approx the majority of people (getting lower because of computers) dont know that you can negotiate off the sticker price. its hard to believe but it is true. for example, there is a lady that i know through some friends and she always brags about how when she goes into her local dealership, she gets the best deal. what is it you ask? she says that they just "knock $500 right off the sticker, just for her!" all i can say is wow. my last 2 vehicles i have bought i used www.fightingchance.com . basically i got below invoice because that is what was offered to me by competing dealers. i did not beat a price out of any of them. some dealers were having good months and wanted to make it better by making a slim profit deal to insure a good supply next month and some dealers were having bad months and wanted to make a slim profit deal to get their month going. then, there were some dealers who were very proud of their TITANS and were selling for 1500 above the lowest price, and thats fine too. they are trying to make money and im trying to save. nothing wrong with that.

steve

·
Registered
196 Posts
My local dealer played stupid with me and told me no negotiation off msrp (he even told me that the other dealers I talked to were not allowed to negotiate) when I went to them. That dealership advertises competative prices in the newspaper by assuming a
$4000 trade taken off the msrp. They sell most titans at list price. Instead I drove an hour away to a dealer who would negotiate with me. Shawn

21 - 24 of 24 Posts