Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever been somewhere and get a surprise that although not totally unexpected still makes you :eek_surprise: Holy Crap!!

So me and the Mrs. were at a nearby campsite today, 16 sites on a lakeshore and totally deserted today.
Unusual at this time of year but it has been raining on & off for a few days. Lots of fairweather campers round these parts I guess.
We lit a small fire in the fire pit and cooked a couple of smokies on the portable BBQ and washed them down with a wobbly pop each.
It sprinkled rain on and off and the wind rose and fell and made waves that lapped quietly on the shore.
I went down the boat launch to fetch some fire quenching water and came across the foot prints...The Holy Crap moment. Seems the waves weren't the only things lapping quietly at the shore.
Not sure what made them, we did see a smallish black bear on the road in, but these didn't look particularly bear like.

Share yours...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
93,253 Posts
That's why I have this with me when I'm out hiking.

·
Premium Member
19,021 Posts
As far as predators go, I can spot Mountain Lion or Black Bear, but not much else. I have no idea what those tracks are. Like Arachnid, I go armed in the forest, usually with an open carry holster.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would hate to shoot a majestic animal such as a mountain lion, but better safe than sorry. Also ONLY in self defense.

·
Premium Member
19,021 Posts
I would hate to shoot a majestic animal such as a mountain lion, but better safe than sorry. Also ONLY in self defense.
Agreed. I carry bear spray also. But in the heat of the moment, I'm going to reach for whatever is going to keep me from getting attacked. I've been hunting for nine years and I've never had an encounter closer than 30 yards. A black bear came up and sniffed me from that distance last fall. He turned around and moseyed away.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We keep a pretty sharp eye out. There are the occasional Grizzly bears in this neck of the woods. Picture of one in the local paper from someone who snapped it while crossing the highway. Just a young one but still a good size.
Have another photo (35mm) like this of a cougar track from over 30 years ago. See skat on the trails a lot, but the bears usually skedaddle when we come along. Make noise and you'll likely hardly ever see one. Surprising a bear is a good way to get charged by one.
I'm thinking after looking hard at these prints that maybe an eagle grabbed something off the sand...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts