Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rotating the tires yesterday and I found that one of the four bolts,which I think hold the hub onto the rear axle, seemed pretty loose. More than hand tight but not more than 15-20 lb ft tight. It seems a little on the low side to me. This was the same side that I had the axle seal replaced so I know why its loose. The other side was around 50 lb ft so I tightened it to that. But I was wondering if anyone knew how tight the bolts should be? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
....edited.... misread

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Lug nut torque setting is 98 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
Lug nut torque setting is 98 ft-lbs.

That's what I thought he was talking about at first to BB, but then I reread and it said FOUR bolts....

I think maybe he's referring to the retaining plate that is on the end of the axletube, which holds the bearing in place???

Part No. 3 in this illustration:

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Good point, Warrior. I didn't catch that. Not sure about that torque spec.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
54warrior said:
That's what I thought he was talking about at first to BB, but then I reread and it said FOUR bolts....

I think maybe he's referring to the retaining plate that is on the end of the axletube, which holds the bearing in place???

Part No. 3 in this illustration:

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. The bolts, well nuts, that are threaded onto part 3's studs in the drawing are accessed from behind the brake rotor and seem to be what holds the bearing onto the axletube.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Do you know what size the bolts are?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that I used either an 18 or 19 mm socket to tighten them.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
That would be about a 3/4" head size.... So the shank would be about 12mm or around 1/2".

Torque for a Grade 8 would be around 60 ft-lb.

You should probably verify this with your Dealer's tech dept.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks BB. I'm surprised no one can find it in the shop manual or something since all of these rear axle seals keep leaking and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
If it were me, I'd just use a 3/8" drive ratchet and tighten them till it feels right, because I always forget that I DO have a torque wrench!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts