Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo after a fresh day of rain I went out to play in the mud. I was messing around in 2WD and then put it into 4Lo to get through a mud puddle and floored it in drive, and then when I wanted to go back through it in reverse I floored it.... BOOM. The end.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Epic fail...

·
Registered
811 Posts
DO you have elocker?

·
Registered
827 Posts
i know its taboo to tow in 4lo and try reverse, wasnt sure it was a no no completely. Doesnt seem right, yours just time to get upgraded??

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DO you have elocker?
I do not. I have the off-road package but its an 04' which Nissan neglected to the the locker in. Pictures are coming soon so you can all LOL at my failed diff...

I have no clue as to what happened to the failure, I had just done the fluid change in November and even then the fluid looked great and there was no metal shavings. Although it wasn't gear failure it was the entire aluminum cast housing that ripped apart.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I can't resist King. As Nelson Munsfield would say, and qoute "ha haa".

Now that the king is defenseless we can begin the process of over throwing him!

Long live Chuck Norris!

No but seriously, what the heck King Polaris? Now you can upgrade that part too.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah man... I'm pissed about it because I broke something that had nothing wrong with it! Never had leaks, no whining, grinding, etc etc... Say what you want about the axles but MAN this sucks. Stupid aluminum cast housings.... With the amount of stress and force that went to the front end I wasn't surprised about the damage... Although those new 4.10s are coming out very soon and I've already begun preparations to get the KING back on his feet! :eyebrow:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe it was all the weight of the bedliner that caused it lol :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe it was all the weight of the bedliner that caused it lol :)
Quite possibly, I'm exploring different option now as to whether or not I should upgrade to an 06' or new diff and go to bigger gears. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
There was a video on youtube (which I can't find at the moment) of a young guy roaring around in the dunes in reverse in a Titan. Front diff fractures, gear oil spills, friends laugh.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Although it wasn't gear failure it was the entire aluminum cast housing that ripped apart.
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Pulling a jeep out of a hole in reverse. The whole aluminum housing cracked open. He is SASing it now. But until then he took the diff off and is a 4x2 with a locker. Amazing, just blew up.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah man... One side went one direction and the other side went the other, the top of the housing went into the 5th dimension, I don't know where the top half of it went :dunno:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Working for a dealer I see alot of broken frt diffs. Worst 1 was a 05 titan pulling a cement truck up a muddy hill and diff blew up. Part of diff went thru oil pan, what a mess. I hadn't seen 1 brake on anything newer than 07 until this week an 09 came in with drivers side axle hanging out.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts