Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here, check this out...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070513/ap_on_hi_te/music_pirates;_ylt=AsxaDNftHN5koMgPus9Cld_MWM0F

they're suing college kids now! So Mom and Dad are gonna have to pay the way for their adult children? $3,000 is a lot of money for a college kid, it would hinder their education to pay that.... and they don't have time for a lawsuit like other folks do.

It's not fair. Granted, I don't like the idea of running a society where you steal things, if copying music is indeed stealing.

I say we start a campaign to STOP BUYING CD's! And stop the recording industry in their tracks....

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yeah, its not good when you can steal other people's work for free..LOL. Heck I love my limewire, let them make money off the concerts and the beer money.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
P's Titan said:
thats old news.

I don't think it's stealing, if you buy a CD and a friend/coworker wants a copy of it do you say NO cuz its stealing?
I say that to my theiving brother in law, myself being an ex wanna be rock star who would have been pissed if I made it in the music industry but couldn't earn a living without having to sell out and do commercial jingles because everybody pirated my one hit.:werd:
Hey P maybe everybody should do like you do for this site and work for free!:computern

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is not a new thing . When I was younger we would tape record songs off the radio. No harm done one song so you could listen to it and eventually go buy the album . My problem comes when you buy a CD and theres one or two decent songs on it . That's where some of these websites payoff . You can listen to them before you buy. Is it stealing I don't know but the internet is infinite as far as users so a dollar here and there will add up to millions.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Thats True PT007, you can't find a cd with more than a couple good songs. I find myself lately buying albums that I've already owned years ago, some even older than myself. You can't go wrong with STP, AIC, Lynryd Skynyrd, Steve Miller, ect.... I think anything after say 96' has been done already and done better.:grimrippe

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think most people either purchase or download from LimeWire or whatever just one or two songs from an album anyway. That's why things like iTunes are so popular . You can put together your own album of stuff that you bought instead of having to play two songs and take the cd out .

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
I say good! There are many many people speeding on the highways but a very small percentage are getting caught. Should we say those poor people shouldnt have to pay the ticket because eveyone does it. It is stealing no matter how you look at it and if your caught, pay the consequences. Take your chances and you might get some free music. Or you may just get caught. Steal something at wal-mart and you might just get caught, or you might get something for free. If I was a singer ( OMG that would be bad) and my songs were given away for free I would be pissed off too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wiscdave said:
Yeah, its not good when you can steal other people's work for free..LOL. Heck I love my limewire, let them make money off the concerts and the beer money.
you can download music on limewire?? I thought it was for downloading "short films".

·
Registered
12,510 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
most of the money made from buying cd's goes to the labels anyways...granted i agree that stealing is bad, but if you ask many artists, they would rather have their music get heard, than making a few bucks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
the only problem with people taking the songs and copying them (and that is legal)

is giving them away to others (and that is illegal)

as long as the copy is only for back up purpose

it is ok but when you give it away or sell it

you impede the process of people buying it (even if they would not have)

like getting free cable
or telephone

someone else is paying for the ability to provide it so they expect a return

P.S. i like the i dea of I tunes or others but i dont wanna subscribe

i wanna just buy 1 song at a time anyone know where i can go?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rick Guess said:
the only problem with people taking the songs and copying them (and that is legal)

is giving them away to others (and that is illegal)

as long as the copy is only for back up purpose

it is ok but when you give it away or sell it

you impede the process of people buying it (even if they would not have)

like getting free cable
or telephone

someone else is paying for the ability to provide it so they expect a return

P.S. i like the i dea of I tunes or others but i dont wanna subscribe

i wanna just buy 1 song at a time anyone know where i can go?
How about buying an itunes card? I didnt have to subsicribe when i got one and used it.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
It's stealing no watter what you say. Most of us on the internet are guilty of it, me included. Not to mention all those cassettes I have from 15-20 years ago that my buddies copied for me.

I tunes and Napster, that's a whole nother story. My wife subscribed to Napster for $14.95 a month for all the songs we wanted to download, all legal right? Well yes in a way but after a certain amount of time the song cancels out. All those songs we downloaded are now no good. I heard I Tunes did the same thing but never really followed up on it.

Also watching some special on the late news about this very subject. The recording industry is going this route. The CD as we know it will be phased out in about 5 years like the cassette tape was. the vast majority of music will be bought one song at a time in digital format like MP3. I hope they clean up the format, right now nothing beats a good CD.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
sledge said:
you can download music on limewire?? I thought it was for downloading "short films".
haha your funny man, limewire you can download alot of things music movies documents and programs. i like torrents better thought because theres soo much more to get.

if i was a singer making 10 million a cd, i honestly wouldnt give a damn who downloaded it for free... 10 mill is alot of dough, consider my free downloads charity work lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use torrents as well. You get the whole album and sometimes cover art as well. I too download most of my music, however, the music I like I go and buy after I have listened to it. Another reason I download my music is that I like music from Europe, mainly scandanavian metal. Good luck finding those albums at a best buy or sam goody. I don't see downloading music as a crime. I see copying cd's as booklegs and making a profit on them as a crime though. Personally I don't think the recording industry has any right to say what we can and can't download when music, at least for me, isn't always available in the US. Make every band and artist available for retail purchase, then they might have an argument.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
charging for music is like charging for advice on Titantalk.
I'm personally not ever going to buy another album. Granted, I've only ever bought about a dozen in my time, and those are classics.

Should "the baha men" become millionaires because they came up with a jingle called "who let the dogs out?" I don't think it's right that they, and the recording industry, profit from a lack of talent.

If you ever get pissed at a stealership for taking your money, think about the kind of margins that a record company makes when you buy a $10 CD that has about 40 cents worth of raw material in it.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
kellyj00 said:
charging for music is like charging for advice on Titantalk.
I'm personally not ever going to buy another album. Granted, I've only ever bought about a dozen in my time, and those are classics.

Should "the baha men" become millionaires because they came up with a jingle called "who let the dogs out?" I don't think it's right that they, and the recording industry, profit from a lack of talent.

If you ever get pissed at a stealership for taking your money, think about the kind of margins that a record company makes when you buy a $10 CD that has about 40 cents worth of raw material in it.
God its great to live in America!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts