Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's this for off topic? Anyone have problems with rodents geting under the hood, or worse into your vehicle? I live in a heavily wooded area in NH and I've had problems in the past. With my last Chevy, mice ripped the hell out of the firewall insulation and kept nesting in the crevices of my engine. On my truck before that, they nested inside my air cleaner. Last year my wife found a mouse nest inside the glove box of her new Honda. These suckers can be destructive, they can chew through wires as well as upholstery. This evening I was checking under the hood of my Titan and found turds and acorn shells on top of my battery! Last weekend I repaired the gable vents on my house, squirrels had chewed through the louvers and got into my attic. I'm under siege!

Any suggestions on keeping them out of the engine compartment? Someone sent me an e-mail about different uses for those fabric softener sheets that you toss in the dryer, claims that mice don't like the smell and suggests leaving a sheet in your glove box and under the seats. Sounds like an e-mail myth to me, but what the hell, I'm going to give it a try, if nothing else it'll work as an air freshener. I think I'll tuck a few sheets under the hood insulation, too. I've already got 2 cars in the garage, and my cats aren't doing their job so suggestions are welcome.
:grimrippe

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found a dead hooker under my hood a couple of weeks ago, but no problems with rats.

You might try putting one of your cats in a carrier by the truck overnight and see if it keeps the critters away.
Kronos

·
Registered
877 Posts
My mother-in-law had the same problem in her Explorer. Maybe moth balls or poison will work. I think she tried them and had some luck.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
homer said:
Any suggestions on keeping them out of the engine compartment?
and my cats aren't doing their job so suggestions are welcome.
Maybe a dead cat under the hood and another inside the cab. J/K
I've got two myself.

I think most of your problem(s) are related to having trees too close
to your house. I have lived in the same place for the last thirty years,
and the only time I have had problems with rats or other creatures
getting into vehicles is when I parked them in the back yard where all
the trees are. I don't have any trees near my driveway, and have never
had any problems there. I don't think rats care for gravel or concrete,
or even a lawn that gets mowed every now and then. If you have woods
around your house, you are going to have places for all kinds of creatures
to hide (not just rats).

Cut some of those trees and get rid of the leaf litter, sticks, etc. A riding
lawn mower does wonders for pest control! :)

Steve

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No rats, it's mice that are the problem under my hood. Lots of wildlife around here, though. Deer, moose, coyotes, etc. I even saw a fisher cat early one morning, they are pretty elusive, and let me tell you THAT was one nasty looking critter.
Someone else mentioned the mothball idea to me, I'll give it a try. And I actually did chase a ground hog away once with the mower.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
have you ever smelled mothballs?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
how did you get your head between their legs? lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Homer, where in NH? Nashua here.........

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
homer said:
No rats, it's mice that are the problem under my hood. Lots of wildlife around here, though. Deer, moose, coyotes, etc. I even saw a fisher cat early one morning, they are pretty elusive, and let me tell you THAT was one nasty looking critter.

I saw on the web that fisher cats like to eat mice and house cats! :lick:

Steve

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nfr5111 said:
Hey Homer, where in NH? Nashua here.........
Hi there, neighbor! I lived in Nashua for 13 yrs, moved to Hollis about 5 years ago.

pagerdaddy said:
I saw on the web that fisher cats like to eat mice and house cats!
Hey now, this could be the answer to all my problems. :cheers:

·
Registered
901 Posts
pagerdaddy said:
Maybe a dead cat under the hood and another inside the cab. I've got two myself.
Have you considered going ahead and burying them?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
homer said:
No rats, it's mice that are the problem under my hood. Lots of wildlife around here, though. Deer, moose, coyotes,

Hey Homer, If you ever have trouble with the big critters, I know someone who can help :)
Have BOW will travel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
homer said:
Hi there, neighbor! I lived in Nashua for 13 yrs, moved to Hollis about 5 years ago.

Hey now, this could be the answer to all my problems. :cheers:

We'll have to have a mini meet in the WalMart lot right in Amherst! :jester:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nfr5111 said:
We'll have to have a mini meet in the WalMart lot right in Amherst! :jester:
I love it, a mini meet in the Wally World parking lot, we could gather out in no man's land where I always park so that no one will put a ding in my baby!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in the Hill Country of Texas. Also don't have true garage, so the vermin have open access to the area where the vehicles are parked. I just purchased my Nissan Titan Pro 4x(Not XD) in 2018. My home is halfway up a hill surrounded by cedar and oak, so yes there are lots of rats, mice and other vermin that live around the area. Anyway, I've been here 3 years and have had similar problems with vermin. Prior to purchasing the Titan, I had mice/rat nesting problems for my 2008 4 Runner and 2006 Xterra, but I put moth balls in the engine compartment as will as purchasing metal air and cabin filters from K&N so if they did nest I could clean them out. The regular filters they chew up and use! I also took chicken wire and covered over the air intakes where the air intake is connected to the wheel frame. This did the trick for my 2008 4 Runner and 2006 Nissan Xterra.

However, after using mothballs, K&N air filters and chicken wire in my 2017 Titan, I just had a check engine light come up which eventually turned out to be caused by rats or mice eating completely through the wiring engine sub harness. Cost quite a bit to repair ($1,500), could have been more if the entire wiring had been hit. Anyway in researching, I've seen where the newer plastics used in in wiring are soy based and the vermin love the taste. There are some lawsuits about this, but so far no mfg is admitting fault, but Honda does sell a capsaicin pepper laced tape that I am going to get wrapped around the wiring and see how it works.

In addition, I've heard that beside mothballs to use stuff like peppermint oil, sulfur, spray pine sol, etc. Also the Nissan Service Manager suggested I get a mouser(cat) or ratter (terrier type dog). Again all these are deterrents, but I haven't seen one that has been admitted to be 100% full proof. I'll keep this forum posted to my success or not with keeping the vermin out of my Titan Pro 4X as to what is working or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
vector6
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing