Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing my thermometer for the external temp is like 5-8 degrees too cold. Think I should have the dealer replace this?
What's everybody else's experience?
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I have a thermometer, but I know if it is cold or hot when I walk to the truck or get out of it, so I never look at it. Likewise the compass. I know where North is located almost all the time within a few degrees. Comes from off-road motorcycle riding for 20 years. I couldn't care less if the thing didn't work at all. I'd be more interested in a barometer ... but it's not an option.

If you drive from +100°F into -40°F, you usually KNOW it, but the difference between 50°F and 60°F is not enough to makle me wonder.

Out of curiosity ONLY (not an attempt to be sarcastic), why would an inaccurate thermometer be of any concern?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
mine always seems to pretty close to actual temp. although just about every thermometer you look at it gonna tell you a different temperature.

its not somethin that i would personally worry about gettin fixed. but thats just the kinda person i am.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
36,356 Posts
Just checked. Mine read 29F, and my neighbor, who has a weather station, checked his and it read 29.1F. I'd say that's pretty good, yours shouldn't be that far off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
Bootzon said:
I'm noticing my thermometer for the external temp is like 5-8 degrees too cold. Think I should have the dealer replace this?
What's everybody else's experience?
Thanks

Accurate? how do you describe accurate? Are you looking at you thermometer on you window? How do you know that the thermometer you are referencing is not off, or that the temp is different in that spot? I mean if you want accuracy pay $400 for a NIST calibrated thermometer and you will see accuracy otherwise its all just close. If the thing shows its around freezing drive carefully cause the roads may freeze, if it is in the 100s its hot outside.:kiss:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
I'm sure he's not sticking his thumb out the window and guesstimating. Some people like to know the temperature. Go from a vehicle that has one and then to one that doesnt you will miss it. I bought an aftermarket mirror with a compass and thermometer and if it were off I would want it fixed too. There shouldnt have to be explanations as to why anyone wants what they want on here. Looks like he was asking a question......not for opinions. :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
roy365 said:
I'm sure he's not sticking his thumb out the window and guesstimating. Some people like to know the temperature. Go from a vehicle that has one and then to one that doesnt you will miss it. I bought an aftermarket mirror with a compass and thermometer and if it were off I would want it fixed too. There shouldnt have to be explanations as to why anyone wants what they want on here. Looks like he was asking a question......not for opinions. :dunno:

I obviously like referencing mine in fact it read 19 this morning on my way to work. I consider it cold and wear my jacket. sometimes it is the same as the banks temp and sometimes it is off but who's to say it is not spot on without some thermocouplers and heavy duty temp equip to measure it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
roy365 said:
Well the guy is smart enough to drive a Titan.....let's have some faith that he is just as smart as everyone else and knows when to wear a jacket as well. He simply wants something to function as it was intended.

i agree with you 100% on wanting something that is spot on. Just how does he know as well as how dow we ALL know that our temp gages are right on the money or really off? The meeting of the minds may only know this answer. :bangit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
roy365 said:
Use multiple sources.....banks, the news, an infra-red, home monitor??? The possibilities are endless. It's not rocket science to figure out if a thermometer is out of calibration.

yes and no. the temperature at the bank may indeed be 5º warmer or cooler at that exact spot then what it is at the truck. so inless you plan on driving your truck up the bank sign or into you yard and putting your thermometer gage right next to it then its not necessarly going to read the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
roy365 said:
You get my point i hope. Otherwise I guess we could spend the day pissing in the wind. Pull your truck up to the bank sign? LMAO.

well actually I think the correct answer is back it up to the bank sign... use your mirrors like I say :fart:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GregP said:
Out of curiosity ONLY (not an attempt to be sarcastic), why would an inaccurate thermometer be of any concern?
From your sig I see you're on the south left coast, so I can understand why it's not a concern for you, however in Kentucky this time a year it's very important to know if it's 36, or 28 so you can be forewarned of changing temps that might cause black ice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cneary812 said:
Just how does he know as well as how dow we ALL know that our temp gages are right on the money or really off? The meeting of the minds may only know this answer. :bangit:
Well I have thermometers at the house. They broadcast the temp on the radio and we have the bank sign. When all those are within 2* and I'm consistantly 5-8* colder than that... You don't need advanced math skills or equipment to logically conclude that the one in the truck is off! I have had engine heat affect them before, but never had one cooler than the actual temp. Thanks for sticking up for me there Roy, lol. And to everybody else that took time to let me know that your's are more accurate than mine. Think I'll be having the dealer order me up one that is right. Just hope they don't have to tear apart the interior to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cneary812 said:
yes and no. the temperature at the bank may indeed be 5º warmer or cooler at that exact spot then what it is at the truck. so inless you plan on driving your truck up the bank sign or into you yard and putting your thermometer gage right next to it then its not necessarly going to read the same.
Cneary that sounds like the kinda crap a service writer would come up with to avoid a warranty claim. You're not a service writer are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
Anyone know where the actual sensor is located? I could never figure out in my small brain how a sensor put anywhere on a vehicle that moves, besides in the cabin, could be accurate. Almost any place seems like you would have effects from wind or vehicle temps.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top