Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Coolhand said:
Do you know what the turning circle was on your F150? Edmunds lists the Titan at 45.3 ft for the 4 x 4, and 46 ft for the RWD. That seems a little backward....
no im unsure of that figure coolhand, sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
turn radius

Coolhand said:
Do you know what the turning circle was on your F150? Edmunds lists the Titan at 45.3 ft for the 4 x 4, and 46 ft for the RWD. That seems a little backward....

Coolhand,

First off, I'm not positive I'm correct, but I've convinced myself that it sounds good.
The 4 x 4 could have a tighter radius if it's actually in 4 x 4 mode. This way you actually have the front tires trying to pull the front of the truck inward. On a rear wheel drive truck, you are relying on the rear wheels "pushing" and the front wheels are only "steering". That could be why the radius is just a little wider...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Coolhand said:
Do you know what the turning circle was on your F150? Edmunds lists the Titan at 45.3 ft for the 4 x 4, and 46 ft for the RWD. That seems a little backward....
The new F-150 CC 4WD has a turning circle of 45.1 ft.
The Silverado CC 4WD with quadrasteer has a turning circle of 37.4 ft, 7.9 ft smaller than the Titan.
The new midsize pickup from Chevy, the Colorado, has a 44.6 ft turning circle for the CC 4WD version, only 0.7 ft smaller than the Titan.
The Toyota 4Runner 4WD has a turning circle of 36.7 ft.
The Toyota Tacoma 4WD CC has a turning circle of 40.0 ft.
The Tundra 4WD CC has a turning circle of 47.0 ft
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I think it would be nice to have a 4-wheel steering option, but it isn't something I would have to have. If I had the option available to me, I probably wouldn't pay the extra money for it. That's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
ChuhBaca said:
I think it would be nice to have a 4-wheel steering option, but it isn't something I would have to have. If I had the option available to me, I probably wouldn't pay the extra money for it. That's just me.
Yeah, my '96 Blazer has a turning circle of 39.5 feet, and getting my boat in and out of it's current storage location is a already a trick. I'm not looking forward to an additional 5.8 feet of turning circle.... but then again, it sure will be nice to be able to get to highway speed in less than 5 minutes :). My old 1986 Blazer turning circle was quite a bit less than the '96 - makes me wonder if product liability doesn't have something to do with modern turning circles.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be 4-wheel steering to make me happy. I just wonder what is driving these large turning circles. Is it something mechanical... ie: something to do with practical limits of the outside wheel travelling farther than the other? Seems that a smart engineer could deal with that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Coolhand said:
Yo, Outahere, do you know what GM is charging for the Quadrasteer option this year?
Around $2000, but not available on the 2 vehicles that need it the most, the Avalanche and the 1/2 ton Silverado CC. I believe it was around $4500 the previous years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Coolhand said:
It wouldn't necessarily have to be 4-wheel steering to make me happy. I just wonder what is driving these large turning circles. Is it something mechanical... ie: something to do with practical limits of the outside wheel travelling farther than the other? Seems that a smart engineer could deal with that...
I would guess that the large turning circles are being driven by long wheelbases, the room between the front fender and frame, allowable CV joint angles, and front end geometry.

There is a good article on the Delphi rear wheel steer system at pickuptruck.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Speaking of antennas....

kray1395 said:
I took the Titan to the wash yesterday, and I said to myself, it would be nice if it had a retracting antenna when the radio wasn't on. That's about it for me.

Where is it on the Titan? I looked on Nissan's website and of the 12 or so pics they had of the Titan it seemed as though none had an antenna. I'm assuming from the post above that the Titan has a solid mast antenna. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about bringing it through the car wash. I own a car wash and have seen only a couple of solid mast antennas break over the couple of years I've owned it and they were on old Volvos. I've got a power antenna on my Toyota T100 and I don't like it. Power antennas left up in a carwash by mistake will inevitably break. Solid mast antennas are more durable in my opinion. I've seen many power antennas that either would not go down more than half way or would not go up more than half way. Just my observation....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
pluckyew said:
Things pluckyew would change on Titan (which is already excellent, i repeat an "excelent" beginning):

- manual lever to switch to 4wd-hi and 4wd-lo (more reliable than dial)
- all conditions 4wd hi use [full-time four-wheel-drive systems]
- 375/70/17 BF Good Wench tires on 9.5" rims with full spare.
- available option: front ARB lockers (differential)
- available now! the rear e-locker option
- allowing for choices of final drive axle ratios
- another lock box, on the right (with built in heat shield, form the exhaust)
- auto driver's seats for the SE bench
- less weight. now is 5300#s, but under 5000#s would be nice.
- 360 hp & 385fp instead of 305hp (heard that the same 5.6 engine can produce that much hp, with titanium valves)
- narrower A-pillers. the wide A-pillers blocks forward lateral view.
- 6' bed Crew Cab (so I can sleep in side a CC bed)
- 3" of stowage space behind the rear seat (to stow away a rifle or couple of fishin' rods)
- clear rear window (having an option from sliding glass)
- slide in and out semi-hard (hard plastic) tonneau cover
- steps for SE & XE
- a light under the hood (my old 4x4 720's got one)
- dual exhuasts
- space for a winch on the front bumper
- lockable glove box
- lockable utilty box under a rear seat (enough to fit a "1911" and an extra clip, Tacomas & Sierras have one).

..i'm not asking for much, a widdle bit of refinements :wierd:


in addition (thanks to our titantalk.com members)...
updated 2/13/2004 4:37 PMPST:

- Four wheel steering! (like in "Quadrasteer")
- Turbocharged diesel option
- Power rear sliding window (verticlely sliding) and
- Rear-window defroster
- Mute button on steering wheel and
- MP3 Player (duh! hello it's the 21st Century)
- BOSE sound system, see MAXIMA, but with dual 10" subs & 500watts RMS
- Retracting antenna
- Balanced & lighter tailgate (it almost killed someone's 100 pound wife!)
- Coin tray
- More grocery hooks on the underside of the rear seats
- Limited Slip Differential for 2WD (available without BigTow or OffRoad pkgs)
- this Eject button - http://www.mgwltd.com/miata_lighter.html ( :huh: )
- Power Bench Seats (that's three butt belts, up front)

- ditch the Speed Limiter!
- Side Airbag Package on the SE and XE trims
I had to turn down the Titan because of the short bed. I need an 8' bed for a fifth wheel hitch. If Nissan is going to be serious about towing, there are a lot of fifth wheel trailers out there than weigh in at less than 9500 pounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
amacd said:
I had to turn down the Titan because of the short bed. I need an 8' bed for a fifth wheel hitch. If Nissan is going to be serious about towing, there are a lot of fifth wheel trailers out there than weigh in at less than 9500 pounds.
Yo, Amacd, why do you need such a long bed for a 5th wheel? Both my dad and my brother pull heavy loads with a 5th wheel hitch, and I could swear they have regular 6' beds (Cummings Dodge, and a half-ton GMC).

I could be wrong....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
HE is having a hard time getting 'Nissan' approval for the hitch setup he is using at the moment.

I am pretty sure this 'issue' will be worked out pretty quickly as more of these fine rides starting hitting the towing scene.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
amacd said:
I had to turn down the Titan because of the short bed. I need an 8' bed for a fifth wheel hitch. If Nissan is going to be serious about towing, there are a lot of fifth wheel trailers out there than weigh in at less than 9500 pounds.
some heavy tow truckers install a massive tow "hitch" on the 8' bed (kinda of like a mini 18 or 24 wheeler big rig truck) with a "U" shaped lowered tailgate. 8' bed would leave a bit more space to haul gear then 6.5'
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
pluckyew said:
Things pluckyew would change on Titan (which is already excellent, i repeat an "excelent" beginning):

- manual lever to switch to 4wd-hi and 4wd-lo (more reliable than dial)
- all conditions 4wd hi use [full-time four-wheel-drive systems]
- 375/70/17 BF Good Wench tires on 9.5" rims with full spare.
- available option: front ARB lockers (differential)
- available now! the rear e-locker option
- allowing for choices of final drive axle ratios
- another lock box, on the right (with built in heat shield, form the exhaust)
- auto driver's seats for the SE bench
- less weight. now is 5300#s, but under 5000#s would be nice.
- 360 hp & 385fp instead of 305hp (heard that the same 5.6 engine can produce that much hp, with titanium valves)
- narrower A-pillers. the wide A-pillers blocks forward lateral view.
- 6' bed Crew Cab (so I can sleep in side a CC bed)
- 3" of stowage space behind the rear seat (to stow away a rifle or couple of fishin' rods)
- clear rear window (having an option from sliding glass)
- slide in and out semi-hard (hard plastic) tonneau cover
- steps for SE & XE
- a light under the hood (my old 4x4 720's got one)
- dual exhuasts
- space for a winch on the front bumper
- lockable glove box
- lockable utilty box under a rear seat (enough to fit a "1911" and an extra clip, Tacomas & Sierras have one).

..i'm not asking for much, a widdle bit of refinements :wierd:


in addition (thanks to our titantalk.com members)...
updated 2/13/2004 4:37 PMPST:

- Four wheel steering! (like in "Quadrasteer")
- Turbocharged diesel option
- Power rear sliding window (verticlely sliding) and
- Rear-window defroster
- Mute button on steering wheel and
- MP3 Player (duh! hello it's the 21st Century)
- BOSE sound system, see MAXIMA, but with dual 10" subs & 500watts RMS
- Retracting antenna
- Balanced & lighter tailgate (it almost killed someone's 100 pound wife!)
- Coin tray
- More grocery hooks on the underside of the rear seats
- Limited Slip Differential for 2WD (available without BigTow or OffRoad pkgs)
- this Eject button - http://www.mgwltd.com/miata_lighter.html ( :huh: )
- Power Bench Seats (that's three butt belts, up front)

- ditch the Speed Limiter!
- Side Airbag Package on the SE and XE trims

- 35 gallon capacity fuel tank.
- option to choose all weather floormats at time of purchase
- option to choose lifetime access to online tech manuals at time of purchase
- express oil changes at dealership
- motorized tailgate
- sleeper sofa back seats
- hidden retractable step to aid in getting stuff out of the bed
- hidden step front license plate to help cleaning windshield
- built-in 12v air compressor
- built-in DC to AC converter with in-dash recepticle
- Titan entry in NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Amen to that Bayou, the air compressor is a great idea. I have already used the 12 volt bed outlet to air up a bicycle tire (hot all the time!). Wouldn't it be cool to just open locker box and pull out a hose! By the way I was in Loggy Bayou the other day how close is that to Blanchard?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
- hidden retractable step to aid in getting stuff out of the bed
- hidden step front license plate to help cleaning windshield
I would love that as an option, but I have found they are available online. Check out Go Rhino
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Stylingwise, I would like to see a redesign of the headlights. I don't like the way they wrap around the fender. In a side view of the vehicle, they detract from the overall appearance.

And get rid of that huge, ugly bib on the tail gate!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Well the Titan is one hell of a truck! You guys got nothing too wish for! If they made a work truck version 4x4 that i could get for 23k i may have considered it. Ofcourse in 03 they were not here, and i very dought nissan has a work truck 4x4 for 23k so i love my Hemi. Now if the Nissan came with the swedish bikini team then i may consider the extra 10k, and i the carpet will just have too get dirty.. LOL
 
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
Top