Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting something like this. What do you all think? Total weight 10000.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thats a big *****...if its 10,000 its already over...im sure it can pull it but if anything happens its all on you..ins wont cover anything.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
^He is right!^ It would be a foolish tow. Good luck getting it back up the ramp unless you have a 4x4. Load it up and you will be way over. Better to find one a bit smaller.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Tounge weight would be around 1000#, I wouldn't want to try it for any distance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
saw a sailboat a little bigger at the gas station yesterday.

It had a special hauler that looked like a semi, but had a much longer wheelbase, I guess so they can actually get a sailboat in the water without the keel scraping the ramp.

Boats are tougher than RV's, they require that you pull them out of the water.

·
Registered
359 Posts
mudfinder said:
Thinking about getting something like this. What do you all think? Total weight 10000.
Power won't be your problem...you have that. Here are you issues:

- Brakes...you don't have enough
- Your truck's weight...it's not a HD and it too light to safely handle emergency manuevers
- Traction...you'll likely have to be pulled by someone else every time you try to pull that boat up a ramp.
- Your truck will come apart piece by piece over time (tranny, rear end, etc.)

Buy the boat and go get a Chevy or Dodge 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I'd avoid the Ford diesel. Rumor has it the 6.4 is having some problems. We all know the 6.0 was a train wreck.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
OP doesn't mention how far or how often he is towing the boat. Are you taking it some distance on weekends, or are you just taking it to and from the lake each season? If I were keeping it in the water all season long, I would probably just hire somebody to move it to and from storage each season.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Any update on this?? Are you going to find a different boat?? Or buy a HD truck for it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all honestly, i'm going to start looking at something smaller. the bigger the boat, the more maintance. i wanted something big so it can be sea worthy. nothing like a boat that would be able to go through a hurricane, but something i could take in any weather here in so cal. something i can take to the islands for the weekend.

There's no way i'm getting rid of my titan, i absolutely love that thing. so getting a HD is out of the question.

i did see this nice 24ft. skipjack thats looks sea worthy. not too big and not small. dry weight 4300lbs.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts