Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get this Titan. Hopefully going to see it in a few days..

Seems to be in great condition from the pics.. It's a 2008 with only 24K miles.. One owner..

We are looking for a full size truck for under $25k.. Only "issue" with this one is that it's old (2008)... Should we be worried about that?

My wife is like freaking out that it's that old.. I drive an 08 Altima right now so I'm trying to tell her it's not a big deal..

But I also understand her point.. We are buying a "new" truck that is already 8 years old..

Should that be a point of concern? There are certainly Silverado's and F150's I've found that are somewhat close in features and mileage but are 2014/2012.. But I like this one the best.. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ive never owned a Silverado, but Ive had an f150 and a ram 1500, and Ill take my Titan ANY day. The ford just sucked, but I loved my Ram. Had a 6" lift and 35x12.5/20s, but this Titan will whoop it in every way. More raw power, pulls better, more interior room, sounds better and in my opinion, looks better even though they havent changed until this year. Most of the issues they had with the earlier Titans were "worked out" when the 08s came out. Personally, I own a 2006 crew cab 4x4 with 162,000 miles on it, and have had only a few ( knock on wood ) issues to repair. I dont do any true off roading, but have been in some good snow, and during hunting season Ive been through some real thick NC clay mud, and up and down the power lines... NEVER had a problem. Anytime my wife, son and I go for a longer trip, we take the Titan, even though it "stays thirsty my friend ". I say you cant go wrong with it, youll end up happy. Let me know if you have any questions!!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just check it over real good. Some dealers will tell you they "never sell used cars that have been in accidents", but even if the Carfax is clean it doesn't mean the car has never been in a wreck. I went to look at a 2012 Titan that had a clean Carfax and looked great in the pics, but when I looked in the engine compartment the fender screws had obviously been taken off (stripped paint on driver side screws). After I saw that I started looking closer, and there were all sorts of signs it had been hit on the driver side.

That said, I wouldn't let the year put you off at all. An older rig that was maintained and taken care of properly is way better than a newer truck that wasn't. I just bought my second Titan (had an 04 with zero problems, bought an 05) and they're great trucks. Just be aware of the "common" issues with these trucks, mainly cracked manifolds and leaking rear-end seals.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive never owned a Silverado, but Ive had an f150 and a ram 1500, and Ill take my Titan ANY day. The ford just sucked, but I loved my Ram. Had a 6" lift and 35x12.5/20s, but this Titan will whoop it in every way. More raw power, pulls better, more interior room, sounds better and in my opinion, looks better even though they havent changed until this year. Most of the issues they had with the earlier Titans were "worked out" when the 08s came out. Personally, I own a 2006 crew cab 4x4 with 162,000 miles on it, and have had only a few ( knock on wood ) issues to repair. I dont do any true off roading, but have been in some good snow, and during hunting season Ive been through some real thick NC clay mud, and up and down the power lines... NEVER had a problem. Anytime my wife, son and I go for a longer trip, we take the Titan, even though it "stays thirsty my friend ". I say you cant go wrong with it, youll end up happy. Let me know if you have any questions!!
Thanks for the reply.. Your truck looks SIIIIC! Love those wheels!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My '08 has over 110k on it, and it's running just as good if not better than when I bought it new. It's definitely faster than it was. As long as it's been taken care of you should be good. No accidents, no rear end issues, manifolds shouldn't be ticking by then but might be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought another 2008 myself. It will be my second 2008 Titan and has a lot more miles on it than the one you are looking at. I found a few things that needed repaired so I went ahead and put an aftermarket warranty package on it for 36,000/36 months. It cost me 2k and covers everything. Most aftermarket warranties can be put on a vehicle for up to 115k miles for the 2008's. Just make sure you find out if there are any repair restrictions like location, or components.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
KMC...
Thanks man, I love them, but the clear coat started peeling pretty bad so I ended up plasti dipping them. Still look pretty sick though, but Im partial. Anyway, putting my new Rough Country 3" on this weekend, Ill post new pictures with the black wheels and all afterwards to get some opinions. Tha ks again and good luck with your purchase, either way you go

·
Registered
264 Posts
My 08.5 that I bought in Jan of 14 with 49000 mile, and now has just under 68000 mile is running great. If I had to do it again, I would do it in a heart beat. This truck has been awesome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought an 08.5 because I knew I wanted a full size pickup but I wanted one for under 10,000 dollars. It had 117,000, and all I wish was having a budget like yours so I could get a newer Silverado or F150. (Resale value on Titans seem to be the worst)

I am at 122,000 miles now.. I have paid for the unfixable damage by the previous owners poor upkeep.

But in the end ill be into the truck about 14,000.

It NOW has a 'newer' 45k mile engine out of an 09 Armada. And I AGREE with you 100% on the look of this truck.. 12 year old styling and all! No truck sounds as nice as this one rolling down the road.

If you are in California, its old enough to have to be smogged every 2 years (just found that out this year)

And I'm guessing the Nissan dealership will tell you "All that's covered under warranty is your seatbelts."

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
bought an LE 2008 Long bed last year with 41K. Truck was not as well cared for as the 41K miles would indicate. Replaced radiator, two hubs, and front drive shaft seal. Otherwise truck drives much more solid than any of the domestics of the same year. first thing i did was change out the axle vent, the rest have been maintenance items, Fluids minor repairs (stupid back up sensor speaker!).

Still getting her where I'm happy with the service history but still can't keep off the throttle. original dumb dumb put on a gibson exhaust love the sound when it opens up

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
I would get them to give you some kind of a warranty to go with it to ease your concern. If not, I would ask them to lower the price some more, like down to 19,999.00...I have a 2008.5 with just under 61k on it. This truck has been (knock on wood) basically turn key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats man! They're great trucks, you'll love it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would get them to give you some kind of a warranty to go with it to ease your concern. If not, I would ask them to lower the price some more, like down to 19,999.00...I have a 2008.5 with just under 61k on it. This truck has been (knock on wood) basically turn key.
Well I am trading in my Altima.. Edmunds TMV has my trade-in at $6700 but I just backed into my wife's van like 3 months ago and got an estimate on that to be $800.. So in my mind I figured if they gave me $6K I'd be happy..

The Edmunds TMV on the Titan was $21K.. They were asking $23K.. I figured If they did the $21K and gave me $6K it'd be at the $15K out of pocket that I thought was a nice enough deal..

They gave me $7K for my car and the Titan at $21900 so $14,900 out of pocket (plus tax and such)..

Trying not to do the "Could have gotten it cheaper.." routine.. Going to pick it up at 1pm! :)

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
I've had my 2008.5 Titan since I bought it new, 155k miles, never had any issues aside from nissan not installing cabin air filters and it caused the blower motor to corrode from crap getting in there, which spawned a VBC issue leading me to find the blower fan problem.

Never had a radiator issue because I bypassed the internal tube warmer located internally of the bottom of the radiator end tank. The tube warmer has transmission fluid flowing through it. In my opinion this is the reason the radiators fail on all titans in the bottom location, because trying to heat exchange 200deg trans fluid in a tube submerged in 200-205deg engine coolant is not going to cut it very long for a plastic end tank. Plus the tube is under sized and can clog etc etc...

So save yourself some head ache, spend the 70 bucks and check out my SR4588 external cooler bypass setup.

I did replace my radiator, not because of any issues, but just couldn't pass up the deal on a stillen 3 row.

Also, inspect the manifolds, they will inevitably crack and leak. The cats can clog and fail and have been known to be sucked back up into the engine due to reversion.

The camshafts are designed to aid in emission purposes as whats called iirc ''passive EGR".

Anyway, also look into the rear axles tubes near the brake dust covers, you will see fluid if there is a leak. This is a failed axle seal due to water/contaminate ingestion or blockage through the axle vent that causes pressure build up inside the axle/tubes.

Invest into the Axle Vent Mod by Cajun B-pipes, its a cheap mod, but great insurance.

Also, since no one else has mentioned the updates to the 2008 and newer models is that they have upgraded/revised rear leaf spring shackles.

And most importantly they have larger front brake system, calipers rotors etc. That in itself is the reason to get an 08 and newer.

Check to see if there are any codes, they can be stored on the ECU and pull the car fax history.

Check to see if it smokes upon startup, which its not a common issue, but valve seals can overtime eat themselves, granted the VK56 doesn't burn oil like the VK45 engines (Vk45 was ring package issue).

Check the coolant reservoir and for strawberry milkshake, this reverts back to the transmission tube warmer failing and mixing engine coolant with trans fluid giving you that awesome yet soul and wallet crushing pink milkshake.

Alot of these issues would be inspected by a dealer and not be permissable to sell, (one would think).

As for upgrades to prolong and prevent issues, id recommend the following in this order.

-Detroit Trutrac which is a helical/mechanical LSD. The open diff in the titan is downright dangerous and weak. Side gears can break without any warning, the Trutrac is a way to bullet proof the rear end.

-If the exhaust manifolds are ticking(from a crack formed where primaries merge into the main section), then get with Cajun Bpipes and get JBA headers which are very cheap and effective all while being a bolt on replacement. If you're state emission laws require cats, then he has you covered for the whole package.

-Axle vent mod, is like $30 and takes 15mins to install, it will save your axle seals.

-Invest in the SR4588 Trucool external trans cooler, and bypass the radiator tube warmer. Its a low pressure drop design which the flues/passages are designed to allow enough flow at certain viscosities (temp dependant) so unless you live in year round freezing temps, you will be fine. If you have warranty, nissan has to state the external cooler caused the issue if there were any to arise (which is little to none).

-Upgrade the front and rear struts/shocks to Bilstein 4600 or 5100, the ride will be drastically improved, as the stock stuff sucks.

Other than that, the titan is a solid platform with plenty of power and reliability.

Most issues you find will be due to owner neglect and hearing only one side of the story. Granted not always the case, but more often times than not.

Sorry for the long winded post, but just wanted to share some insight on a few topics of the 2008 and newer titans.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Thanks for the very informative reply!

..aside from nissan not installing cabin air filters..
Wow! You bought it new and they didn't install filters? I'm guessing I should check mine??

So save yourself some head ache, spend the 70 bucks and check out my SR4588 external cooler bypass setup.
I will definitely look into this.. I'm not the most mechanical but hopefully I can tackle this..

Also, inspect the manifolds, they will inevitably crack and leak. The cats can clog and fail and have been known to be sucked back up into the engine due to reversion.

The camshafts are designed to aid in emission purposes as whats called iirc ''passive EGR".

Anyway, also look into the rear axles tubes near the brake dust covers, you will see fluid if there is a leak. This is a failed axle seal due to water/contaminate ingestion or blockage through the axle vent that causes pressure build up inside the axle/tubes.
Doh! All of that stuff is over my head, unfortunately.. I don't know what manifolds are, camshafts, etc..

Invest into the Axle Vent Mod by Cajun B-pipes, its a cheap mod, but great insurance.
I shall search for forum for info on this..

Check to see if there are any codes, they can be stored on the ECU and pull the car fax history.
I do have a reader so I will check that.. Good idea.

Check to see if it smokes upon startup, which its not a common issue, but valve seals can overtime eat themselves, granted the VK56 doesn't burn oil like the VK45 engines (Vk45 was ring package issue).
No smoke.. I have had the belt squeal but I'm thinking that's because of them cleaning the engine..

Check the coolant reservoir and for strawberry milkshake, this reverts back to the transmission tube warmer failing and mixing engine coolant with trans fluid giving you that awesome yet soul and wallet crushing pink milkshake.
So in where you put the coolant there could be a thick buildup instead of a liquid?

Alot of these issues would be inspected by a dealer and not be permissable to sell, (one would think).
It was sold in PA... They have inspections and it was also a very large Cadillac dealership so hopefully you are right.

As for upgrades to prolong and prevent issues, id recommend the following in this order.

-Detroit Trutrac which is a helical/mechanical LSD. The open diff in the titan is downright dangerous and weak. Side gears can break without any warning, the Trutrac is a way to bullet proof the rear end.

-If the exhaust manifolds are ticking(from a crack formed where primaries merge into the main section), then get with Cajun Bpipes and get JBA headers which are very cheap and effective all while being a bolt on replacement. If you're state emission laws require cats, then he has you covered for the whole package.

-Axle vent mod, is like $30 and takes 15mins to install, it will save your axle seals.

-Invest in the SR4588 Trucool external trans cooler, and bypass the radiator tube warmer. Its a low pressure drop design which the flues/passages are designed to allow enough flow at certain viscosities (temp dependant) so unless you live in year round freezing temps, you will be fine. If you have warranty, nissan has to state the external cooler caused the issue if there were any to arise (which is little to none).

-Upgrade the front and rear struts/shocks to Bilstein 4600 or 5100, the ride will be drastically improved, as the stock stuff sucks.

Other than that, the titan is a solid platform with plenty of power and reliability.

Most issues you find will be due to owner neglect and hearing only one side of the story. Granted not always the case, but more often times than not.

Sorry for the long winded post, but just wanted to share some insight on a few topics of the 2008 and newer titans.
I'll look into those.. I'm an IT guy so I've mainly upgraded the electronics / audio in all my vehicles.. I'm done some minor stuff (CAI etc) on my older cars.. I can follow directions as I've swapped out a factory HVAC in my ranger with one of the EVAC ones and installed an E-FAN in my previous Ram..

Thanks again for the post!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts