Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, 've been looking t the Frontiers for a while now, trying to decide if I should buy one. I'm looking for a DD to drive in the city and highway most of the year, when Im not driving my 1970 460 Torino. We just had a baby, so I have been looking at the 2010 SE 4x4 Crew cabs with the 6 ft boxes. I need the 6 ft box to carry my dirt bike around and also i will be using the truck for personal home renos and landscaping projects. I live in Canada so we get some snow and often visit friends cabins all year round and go camping so looking for a good 4x4.. In the future we might try doing a week or two holiday in the summers pulling a small holiday trailer. Other than that I only need a truck on the odd occassion to transport 700 lbs 460 around, etc.

Ive always had full size older domestic 4x4's and not sure if the frontier wil be big enough, Im 6'2", but was very surprised how roomy it was.

So I think Id be looking at getting the 2010 Titan SE crew cab with the 7'3" long box, so I can fit 2x 6.5foot long dirt bikes in there.
Id love the "Off-Road Pro" but i think a 5.5ft box is too short for my needs.

How do you guys like the VDC systems and the ABLS system, and can they be shut off??? Also is there a good aftermarket real mechanical LSD unit I could install, and just shut off the traction control when I want, seems like on the Frontier you cant trully shut it off??

Also I've been reading up on both trucks alot, and trying to figure out if there really is a huge difference in MPG on these too trucks??

Thanks, just looking for some advice from you guys driving these trucks, I want to buy something that I will keep for the next 10 on more years.

thanks
Mat

and right now the local Nissan Dealers are giving $7000 off frontiers, $8000 off Titans and zero % financing so its a good time for me to try a Nissan

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the tailgate down my Yamaha Raptor 700R quad fits in the back of my 2010 Pro-4X a charm. Plus the locking Dif & 4x4 will get you places some of the other trucks might not to ride those bad boys.

I came from a 2005 Nissan Xterra, which was the first year they used the VDC system in that particular model. Yes - it can be shut off and we tested it both On and Off on some lose gravel and were totally amazed at how difficult it actually was to spin out with it turned On. If you got the Pro-4X then you wouldn't have to worry about aftermarket LSD! :)

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,760 Posts
The Fronty mileage isn't much better than the Titan, plus you will get a lot more towing capacity, and room with the T, properly equipped with the tow package. There is no "positrac" package for the newer trucks. I have never had any trouble out of the ABLS, and cannot turn it off on my truck. Mine has an eletronic locker on it though. My Fronty was lucky to get 19 mpg on the highway, and my T gets 17, so I didn't notice much difference...:dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Ya I think I'd lime the Titan over the frontier.

Idlove the off road pro but I think I might regret the short box, but the pro seems like a verygooduprade as far as options, especially the e locker.

On all Crew cabs does the entire rear window go down.

I'm waiting to see if my local dealer can find a 2010 long box crew, to be honest I was looking at the 2010 tundras, but the cash and zero % finance got me looking at the nissans and I am very impressed.

The only thing that i don't like about the nissans, is it seems you can only really get a base model or fully loaded and no in between.

But I think the 2010 crew can long boxes co
E with power seated, and power rear window and enough fancy things to keep me happy withthe truck for many years.

Anything guys don't like about your trucks?

Help meunderstand why I should go with the Titan over the tundra, the thing I like about the tundra is that it has a big enough 4dr cab and comes with a 6.5 foot box and is only as long as a Titan crew with a 5.5 ft box .

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,760 Posts
You can get a long box crew cab! They are huge!! :) I love this truck, the price was right. I drove both and for the money, the T won hands down over the Tundra. Models are XE, SE, Pro4X, and LE. The center section of the rear window goes down, not the whole window.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would say get the Titan! I've had a Frontier and I loved the truck, but pulling and room wise the Titan suited me better. I'm also 6'2" and the Frontier wasn't quite wide enough for my large frame. I would look at a 2011, they had a rebate on my new pro 4x for 4000 off sticker price! Ive owned 3 Titans total and 1 Frontier (2005) and finally got a crew cab and I couldn't be happier with more room! Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think it's new for 2011 but the pro 4x has the locker (as usual) and has VDC which I don't remeber seeing one with both in older years. We have slick icy roads here and I love the VDC keeps me out of trouble in the mountains on slick corners.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,760 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that last post a pick of a 4x4 pro longbox, I can't seem to find a dealer who says they exist. I'd love the pro like I said before, but a long box. and to be honest from a visual point of view I like the look of the long box, think it's a better size next to the huge cab. Any one out there have a longbow crew, the dealer only has a short box for test drives, just wounding how huge it will feel on the road and in the city, my friends got a crew can with 8' box Chev and it has a turning raidius lic a civic, it's pretty incredible for such a huge truck?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Dealer can prob do better than $8,000 off for the Titan. I got $10,000 off mine. Plus it's end of model year right now. If you can wait until early 2011, you can prob find leftover, new 2010s for even cheaper. But then you'd be limited as to your choices for packages/options.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went and looked at a 2011 Rock Warrior Tundra and even invoice price was $12k more than I paid for the 2010 Pro-4X. That's why you shouldn't go with the Tundra, there's no way it's $12k more truck. I did love the back up camera in the Tundra, I plan to add one to the Titan at some point.

I came from a 2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road, so the eLocker and most of the options on the Pro-4X are very familiar to me. Had mine now almost 2 months and love the hell out of it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
^ Agree, besides Toyota still hasn't made a decent full size truck, check their boards on all the problems. The taco might have less probs than the Fronty but no way does the Tundra beat the Titan...I like that my dash hasn't sunk, the bed doesn't bounce, my tailgate is solid, I don't have to look at ugly tunnel gauges/dtrl/tail lights plus I got a quality 5.6 alum engine without having to pay a ton more over a pos base option. T100-fail, 1st gen Tundra-ok but SMALL, 2nd gen(one word) Frame-fail. Seems that Toyota should stick to small trucks only..IMO they do that good. Maybe Nissan should team up with their Japanese competition to help 'em build a real full size truck and they could help Nissan with the Fronty. Win-Win.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Look around for a slightly used 2008-2009 Titan... your chances of finding that long bed you want would increase.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think it's new for 2011 but the pro 4x has the locker (as usual) and has VDC which I don't remeber seeing one with both in older years. We have slick icy roads here and I love the VDC keeps me out of trouble in the mountains on slick corners.
My 2010 Pro-4X CC has both E-locker and VDC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are very, very few, if any of the 2010 CC Long beds left. I had to have both the crew cab and long bed because it is mainly a work truck for me. I got the last one in the Northeast region. There are a couple out west, Las Vegas I think, one in North Carolina and that's about it. I checked all over the country, and my dealer did as well. Did not look in Canada so you may want to check that. The 2011 CC long beds are not in stock yet. I traded in a 2008 Frontier which I will miss. I have driven Frontiers for 11 years and they are great trucks. The main thing I didn't like about the Frontier was the headroom. I am 6' and just about hit my head on the roof when I drive. The Titan has much more headroom. Hope this helps you with your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
^ Agree, besides Toyota still hasn't made a decent full size truck, check their boards on all the problems. The taco might have less probs than the Fronty but no way does the Tundra beat the Titan...I like that my dash hasn't sunk, the bed doesn't bounce, my tailgate is solid, I don't have to look at ugly tunnel gauges/dtrl/tail lights plus I got a quality 5.6 alum engine without having to pay a ton more over a pos base option. T100-fail, 1st gen Tundra-ok but SMALL, 2nd gen(one word) Frame-fail. Seems that Toyota should stick to small trucks only..IMO they do that good. Maybe Nissan should team up with their Japanese competition to help 'em build a real full size truck and they could help Nissan with the Fronty. Win-Win.
I hate to say it, but the Tacoma has the same type of lousy frame as the Tundra. I also wasn't a fan of the plastic bed, weak bendable tailgate, weak rear leaf springs (one less leaf than the Frontier), less powerful engine, and reported transmission and differential problems. And, of course, Toyota wanted more money for all of that over the Frontier.

The Frontier has very few problems which Nissan has not addressed. From what I've seen on recent model years, Toyota is still shipping the Tacoma with the same flimsy frame, tailgate, bed, and rear leaf springs. I'm not saying that the Tacoma or Tundra aren't good vehicles, because I believe that they are, but I'm not sure that I'd want Nissan to learn much of anything from them.

JKG

·
Registered
110 Posts
Look into the KC. Sure the back seat is a little smaller. But, you get a bigger bed. Besides, you'll always be in the front drivers seat anyways.:D

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I would look at all the full size trucks. Back in 05 when I purchased my T there was no competition IMO. The Tundra was the old style, Chevy was well Chevy and Dodge looked too much like a work truck on the inside. The Ford was ok but still not there. Well times have changed if you haven't noticed. Everyone makes a nice looking pickup truck these days. You said you have a baby on the way (congrats btw) so a crew cab would be perfect with the forward facing baby car seat. I have a CC and three young kids so I have a little knowledge on that subject :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts