Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 05 Titan SE 4x4 at a local dealer that has about 68k miles on it. This is obviously outside of factory warranty, anything I should be concerned with about future reliability on an 05 Titan? The same dealer also has an 07 Chevy Avalanche LTZ that looks nice (thoughts?). I need to truck for towing and normal usage. I drive 12k miles per year and was wondering what sort of milage I can expect on the Titan when traveling 75 mph down I35.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got an '09 with 68k and haven't had any issues. I tow a 21' wakeboard boat and a dual axle enclosed motorcycle trailer and the Titan pulls it with ease.

I can eek 16 MPG out of mine but that's heavy on the cruise control at 65/70 MPH. I have a 2WD with big tow package. EDIT :: Forgot, I also have 24's with 315/35r24 tires (which will effect my MPG as well)

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
On an '05, there were some brake judder issues which is an easily fixed problem with upgraded aftermarket rotors. Check to make sure it has the aluminum finned diff cover, which Nissan started to put on in about May of '05. You state you're planning to tow, so make sure it's got the towing package, which on the '05 you can tell by checking for a transmission temperature gauge. It was included with the tow package, so if it's not there the truck doesn't have the tow package. Also regarding towing you'll likely want to upgrade the rear shackles to either an aftermarket (PRG) or to the OEM '08 shackles.

There are some recalls that the dealer can tell you if the truck has had done to it or not as well. If you do go for it, make sure they're done. These include the fuel sending unit and the IPDM relay, and there may be others depending on model.

Mileage? Fuggedaboutit. It's not going to be good. Expect an average on a stock 2WD with tow package to be around 13, give or take. Highway, around 16-17 though some have eeked out a little more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question:

How are the 4x4 Titans in snow? Do they have any sort of traction controll to brake tires without traction (to reduce wheel spin)?

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
Yup, the mileage stinks. No two ways about that, and there's no real way to improve upon it.

The 4WD Titans in that year range came with VDC, which would help in snow. It might also have an e-locker rear end. If it doesn't have the e-locker, it's an open diff, so...you can figure out how that does in limited traction scenarios. If no VDC or e-locker, it comes with ABLS, but in my experience it doesn't do well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, the mileage stinks. No two ways about that, and there's no real way to improve upon it.

The 4WD Titans in that year range came with VDC, which would help in snow. It might also have an e-locker rear end. If it doesn't have the e-locker, it's an open diff, so...you can figure out how that does in limited traction scenarios. If no VDC or e-locker, it comes with ABLS, but in my experience it doesn't do well.
Are you sure the 05 4x4s have VDC? How do I check?

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
I don't honestly know if they all came with VDC, or if it was just with the Off Road packge. Someone else might be able to chime in on that one. If it does have VDC, there's a button on the dash to disable it, so that would be your tell.

Another thought: Since you're planning to tow, I've mentioned the tow package as something you'd want. The most important piece of that package being the lower gears in the rear end. If you go 4WD, the Off Road package also came with those lower gears regardless of whether it was a tow package truck or not.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have an 04 with the off road package and it doesn't have the VDC. Maybe that changed in the 05. I'm in Denver and use the 4x4 in the snow going to the ski resorts and it's awesome. It's great going up and down the passes as well. The Titan stays geared down so you don't have to ride the brakes.

The two bigs things to look for is
Rear and Front Axel seals
Brake Juddge
cracked manifold

And as far as the mpg, anything over 16 is a miracle. I average right around 16 no matter how I drive. The majority of that is a daily 30 mile round trip to and from work.

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
I would kill for 16 mpg. :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have the Chevy Avalanche and another dealer has some Silverados for sale that are only a few thousand more then the Titan. They should get better gas milage. What are everyones thoughts on Chevy trucks (I know I'm on a Titan forum)?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like chevys in general but avalanches are ugly as hell...After owning a titan I'd have to have a 6.0 chevy my buddies 07 5.3 is weak sauce! But moms 6.2 denali is awesome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the deal with diffs failing on the Titan? Is this something I should be concerned with? I will frequently tow a 6k - 7k lbs load with an occasional 9k lbs. The trailer I have is rated for 11k lbs.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The main problem with the diff is the spider gears in the carrier and not the size of the diff like most will blame. The spider gears in the older trucks (04-06, maybe 07) were sintered metal gears and would fail, plus I believe the very first year or two only had 2 spider gears instead of 4. However, there are many people running around on stock rear ends with no problems. Heck, all of the 04 trucks I see around here have the original rear end without the finned cover and are still going. It is just that the early trucks had more problems than usual. You can change it out for a TruTrac if you want to eliminate that problem.

As for the gas mileage, it is possible to get decent mileage out of these trucks. I use to get 19 - 20 mpg on road trips all the time with a stock crew cab 2WD with tow gears. For my normal commute, I still get 16 or 17 mpg on the highway with a lot of stop and go traffic (it is SoCal after all) even with my heavy E rated tires. Just slow down a little bit and your gas mileage will increase. Saying that, these engines really drink the fuel when you open them up and run them hard.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How frequently? If 6-7k and sometimes 9k u may want to consider a 3/4 ton truck. Not to say the Titan or avalanche won't do it but if it's alot I would atleast consider it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will tow 2-3 times a month. Based on my towing requirements, a 1/2 ton truck should be sufficient. I just. Don't want to be stranded on the side of the road with a blown differential.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My buddy has a 04 Titan with 90k and no finned diff cover or axel vent. I think you will be fine with the Titan. You hear alot about diffs on here because that's one of the titans only powertrain weaknesses. That don't mean it's gonna fail, lots on here tow heavy and have 100k+ on factory diffs. Diff problems are better then motor and tranny problems. That buddy of mines 07 Ltz silverado I mentioned in a previous posts truck is in the shop right now from bad lifters. They gonna have to pull the heads and all that mess= big repair bill. All vehicles have weaknesses and ours happens to be the diffs or atleast on 04-07s I don't think many know for sure yet on the newer ones. Look for motor and tranny problems for the vk5.6 vs the rest of the full size trucks, there arent many

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
if the T has the VDC there will be a button under the climate controls to turn it on/off. no button no vdc. There is also a brake assist system (cant remember the ABBV or what its called). if a tire starts to spin the brake is applied to that tire. If its to a drive tire the power of the truck seems to overide the brake with ease. I have a 4x4 CC and barely needed 4x4 in the snow. 2wd did just fine 90% of the time. I only realy needed the 4x4 for going down steep hill. i dropped it in 1st or 2nd and crawled doen them so i didnt need to use the brakes which can cause sliding. A couple times i just felt more comfortable with it in 4x4, i like that false sence of security

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I may pull the trigger on this 05 Titan. What's a fair price for an 05 Titan 4x4 SE with 68k miles and a tow package? The body is in good (not excellent) condition and the interior has some scratches on the glove box and center console.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts