Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the deal with the 06's? ive heard horrible things about titans in general. but i really like it. so confusing.

·
Banned
3,832 Posts
get it you will fall in love!

horrible things? wtf

·
Registered
740 Posts
whats the deal with the 06's? ive heard horrible things about titans in general. but i really like it. so confusing.
I have heard horrible things about Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota and Dodge along with the Titan. I own a Titan for a reason. It is the best truck out there IMO. This is a Titan forum and you will get biased answers of course. We all love our Titans and I am sure if you get one you will agree. They do have problems just like other trucks. The engine and tranny in this truck are among the best of any vehicle. There have been Titans that have been lemons and there have been gems also. You have to remember this is a first design and you will have a few more problems with first design vehicles regardless of manufacture. Most if not all common problems have been address by 07 and there was a minor redesign for 08 models. There are rock solid 04-06 models also. Just do not take advice on a Nissan from a Chevy or Ford guy and expect to hear good things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you mean horrible things from this site, or the internet in general, that is just the way information works. This site and others are here to share important information. and what is important to most people is when something breaks or goes wrong with their ride. You will hear stories more often than not from the once in a lifetime " sh*t I broke something!" Not from the other 1, 2, 3, 4 years of solid dependable driving that occuredwith these titans. Because that would be boring !!!
I am in the market for a Titan as well, and the more i look at them,used or new, the more i like. I have seen a few now approaching 300k KM's ( over 180k miles)that still look like new. they cant be that bad!

·
Registered
740 Posts
i was reading consumer reviews off cars.com and edmunds.com ETC....
Where better to get consumer reviews than from a dedicated owner forum? The Titan is BA and we love them. I test drove every 1/2 ton truck available before I bought my Titan. The Titan was the best truck, hands down, in my opinion. It also looked the best. It was a far better deal than the others. Go drive one and you will see. Why not get a used 08? No worries about new batch trucks there. The prices should still be pretty good on used trucks. An 06 cannot be that much cheaper than an 08. The Titan was a brand new truck design in 2004 and had a few known problems. Rear diff problems, and brake problems are the most common problems but are still rare if you consider the percentages. All of that has been addressed and fixed for the newer models. Like Jazie said above, the squeeky wheel gets the oil. People rarely post good things on any auto forum. It is usually problems and questions. The Titan has never sold very well, but most agree that is due to lack of marketing by Nissan and the typical US buyer who refused to buy a "jap" truck. Although the Titan is made in the USA, not Canada or Mexico like the "domestic" brands. Like I said, do yourself a favor and drive one.

Reactions: albonismo

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an 06 XE cc, The only thing I have ever had was a radiator crack that dumped the entire coolant at the dealership and was changed under warranty. Since that I have never had any problems at all, regarless of what some have said, at it's about to hit 50K. I hope you don't get a friday truck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Here is an article from Cars.com expert review on the 2009 Nissan Titan.

Vehicle Overview
Nissan did nearly everything right with the Titan, but a fickle consumer base never reached out to Japan's first aggressive attempt at the full-size truck market. Even winning a few magazine shootouts against Detroit automakers didn't help this very capable truck expand its market beyond a loyal Nissan customer base and a few open-minded shoppers; Nissan will end Titan production at its Mississippi plant in 2010. Nissan's next full-size pickup will be based on the Dodge Ram and will likely feature Dodge powertrain components.

The Titan comes in four trim levels: XE, SE, LE and the offroad-ready PRO-4X. The PRO-4X includes an electronic locking rear differential, 18-inch alloy wheels, BFGoodrich Rugged Trail tires, skid plates, Rancho shock absorbers and a 3.357:1 axle ratio.

New for 2009
This is the fifth year of production for the Nissan Titan, and very little has changed, other than Nissan revising its equipment packages for easier ordering. Highlighting this effort is the Max Utility Package, which combines popular towing and cargo-bed features. Specific features depend on the model, but the package is meant to include traction control, a tow hitch and harness, trailer-brake pre-wiring, extendable tow mirrors, a Utili-track tie-down system and a spray-in bedliner.

Exterior
Nissan offers the Titan in King Cab and Crew Cab versions, each with long- and short-bed cargo boxes, identified as long wheelbase and short wheelbase models. There is no regular cab.

The Titan's styling has always been rather safe, never breaking enough barriers to draw customers away from the Detroit competitors. Also, the Titan's front end has the exact same styling cues as the Frontier and Armada.
Lockable bedside storage behind left rear wheel well
Available 20-inch alloy wheels
Available Utili-track adjustable tie-down system
Available factory spray-on bedliner
Interior
A bench seat is standard in XE and SE models, with buckets seats standard on LE and PRO-4X Titans. The center console (on bucket seat models) can hold beverages, has a 12-volt power source and a cargo bin that can be configured to hold hanging files. The PRO-4X gets unique seats, meters and gauges, in addition to a red-stitched leather-trimmed shift knob and steering wheel. The overall interior layout is functional, and it's been improved over the first version, which seemed to have more minivan cues than rugged truck personality. The luxury LE offers plenty of wood trim, and there's an available 10-speaker, 350-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system.
Fold-down front passenger seat (with bucket seats)
Hands-free Bluetooth system
Available rear-seat DVD entertainment system
Spacious 126 cubic feet of interior room in Crew Cab
Under the Hood
317-horsepower, 5.6-liter V-8 with dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder makes 385 pounds-feet of torque
Available E85 capability
Five-speed automatic transmission
37-gallon fuel tank on long-wheelbase models
Safety
The Titan offers a full line of safety equipment, but not all features are standard. Available features include front seat-mounted side airbags and roof-mounted side curtain airbags. Electronic stability control is also optional.
Front-seat active head restraints
Available rear parking sensors
Of Interest to Truck Owners
Maximum gross vehicle weight rating: 7,200 pounds (King Cab LWB 4x4), 7,200 (Crew Cab 4x4)
Maximum payload capacity: 2,062 pounds (Crew Cab SWB 4x2)
Maximum towing capacity: 9,500 pounds (King Cab SWB 4x2)
Axle ratio: 2.937:1 (4x2 and 4x4), 3.357:1 (PRO-4X 4x2 and 4x4)
Transfer case ratio: 2.596:1
Crawl ratio: 29.18:1 (4x4), 33.35:1 (PRO-4X 4x4)
Minimum ground clearance: 10.7 inches (PRO-4X)
Approach angle: 30.5 degrees (King Cab PRO-4X SWB 4x4), 30.7 degrees (Crew Cab P4X SWB 4x4), 30.8 degrees (Crew Cab PRO-4X LWB 4x4)
Departure angle: 27.7 degrees (King Cab PRO-4X SWB 4x4), 27.8 degrees (Crew Cab P4X SWB 4x4), 27.5 degrees (Crew Cab PRO-4X LWB 4x4)
Cargo floor length: 79.1 inches (King Cab SWB), 98.8 inches (King Cab LWB), 67.3 inches (Crew Cab SWB), 87.0 inches (Crew Cab LWB)
Cargo floor width: 63.8 inches
Cargo floor width at wheel well: 50 inches
Cargo bed depth: 19.9 inches
Dana axles front and rear
Tailgate illumination in cargo area
Dampened tailgate assist

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
The Titan when it came out won Truck of the Year.
The same Titan is blasted as having issues.

Somewhere in the middle is probably the truth.

By '06, most of the growing pains issues that us '04's and early '05's had were resolved.

That being said, any truck/vehicle you buy will have issues. I recommend checking on the Technical Service Bulletins on any vehicle and you'll see none of them are squeaky clean.

You're asking on a Titan forum if you should buy a Titan. We wouldn't be here if we didn't thoroughly enjoy the vehicle enough to address it's bugs and enjoy its benefits.

89,000 miles and going strong.
From Maine to Michigan to Arizona to Florida and all states in between...
I plan on driving mine until the frame rots out from under me and when it does, I'll make it a playhouse for my future kids. :eyebrow:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Buy it, you wont regret it. I haven't.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Well, the "deal" with the '06 is that it is the third year the truck was in production, so that gave them time to work out some of the bugs.

Brakes - everyone knows about the brake fiasco with the Titans, undersized rotors, warping, and problems. Fixed. Not only that, but they retrofitted every titan as well, fixing them.

Differential - some Titans were known to blow the differentials. The originals are visually different from the new style. new style has fins on it, old one does not. Look at it to make sure. Just because it is an old style, doesn't mean its bad though.

Paint - well, it sucks. There is no way to really sugar coat that statement. Rub it the wrong way, it will scratch. Is it going to peel off completely and leave your truck a rusted mess? No. But yeah, they could have used some higher quality paint.

Leaks - every vehicle leaks at some point in its life. Ive not heard enough about any specific leak involving a Titan.

Dealer Service - every dealer is different. Some good, some bad. If you have ever bought a car in your life, well you should know that one.

Now, this is just me, but I wouldn't buy a XE. At least get the SE trim level. The XE is the barebones level of the vehicle. At least get some perks.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i have an 06 XE crew cab and absolutely LOVE IT! i would have sex with the thing if I could.

Problems...what problems? dealership had the brakes fixed before I even knew there was any issue, and haven't had a problem since. 30,000 miles, not one single issue, and I drive it hard too!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
My original diff had the finned cover and still blew. Just sayin...

I still love my truck though.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I owned an early '05 model and sold it recently to get an '09. The '05 was an excellent truck and never left me stranded.......except that time I ran out of gas. My '05 had 65K on it when I sold it and I'm loving my '09. Aside from a couple of annoying squeaks and rattles, I had no problem keeping the '05, but I was craving a loaded '09 and couldn't resist with all the incentives.

I never had any problems with my paint, not sure what that's about.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
yea about the diffs, brakes, paint, leaks, dealer service
I have owned a XE KC Titan 4x2 before it got totaled by a punk kid rear [email protected] 60mph. I will tell you, I never had any problems with that truck and as far as dealerships, you have to go to the right one that treats its customers right. I put 45000 miles on that truck and there were no brake issue or diff issues and I towed a 5500 load about 450 miles non stop both ways going through hills and the notorious Grape Vine on the I-5. That truck made me go for another TITAN when it was wrecked. Trust me, you will not find a better truck, because even driving all the new Dodges, Fords, and Chevy's, the TITAN still won my heart. Good luck on the search for the right one.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The differential problems were not nearly as big as this forum makes it out to be. I've seen multiple 04's and have talked to a few around here in SoCal all with the original differentials. The brakes were a bigger issue, but I wouldn't call them a reliability issue. They would warp ( I personally think it was due to thickness/material rather than size since the big three have the same size rotors, if not smaller) but all should be fine with the upgraded versions. The paint isn't the best and scratches/chips somewhat easily, but just put a coat of wax every now and then and it should be fine. Leaks, none that I know of really besides the seals. I modified the vent on my differential and I haven't had any problems with the seals. The dealer service all depends on which dealer you go to. One can be horrible, yet if you drive to the one down the highway it may be great.

I have 67K on my 06 and has been to the dealer once to have a seal replaced. Other than that, its been a great truck! I still love driving it just as much now as I did when I bought it brand new 3 years ago. I don't think I could have said that if I would have gone with another full-size...

·
Registered
8 Posts
ha, my 06 XE cc has been to hell and back, 75,000 miles, Many burnouts on dirt roads, donuts (my father, not me):teethmast driven 200+ miles everyday for 6 months straight, and it's still running like the day i bought it, brand spankin new. the exhaust has gotten meaner sounding though :) Buy a Titan! You won't regret it! To add i havent had any problems with it *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had a new '06 SE KC, BT, 4x4. Traded it with 40K miles. Not a single problem except a heater switch which was replaced under warranty. Got an '09 CC same set up because I wanted a CC. Just got back from a 2K mile road/spring fishing trip. I don't baby my trucks, but maintain them. I live in the montana and travel frequently to canada and alaska. I admit I have been a Ford guy before Titans. Titan is better IMO for a butt load of reasons I won't go into here right now. First I heard about front and rear diff's etc. failing was here on this site. Never actually met someone in person. Used trucks could be trashed. You should look at it as used and take a look for abuse and maintainence just like any other vehicle.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
one front diff and 2 rear diffs replaced under warrenty , I have an 04 with 36,000 miles on it , rear springs are now sagging , and I had the brake upgrade ( never had a problem since ) , and a few other small issues , no leaks before or after I rolled the truck . On that note the only other truck I would ever buy is an F-350 Powerstroke but as for a gas engine the ride is great even with mud tires on it .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts