Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

I am thinking about getting an 04 Titan, w/107k mi. I dont know much about the Titans except that I have always liked the way they looked. I was hoping that you guys could help me out with what to look for as far as mechanical problems, TSB's etc etc. I would also like to know what you guys over all impression of the truck is. (good/bad and the ugly). I appreciate your help. Thanks!

The Hurse

O yeah, the price of the truck is 9k.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would run the VIN # to check for any damage due to wrecks, etc.. and see if the dealer will run a VIN# to see what has been done at the dealer as far as warrantee work and repairs. Brakes and rear end failures seem to be the big ones with the 04's.

·
Registered
680 Posts
There is a couple things I'd check. First off get underneath and look for any leaks, pay good attention at the ends of the rear axle for signs of leaky axle seals. Look in the passenger side front wheel well for signs of leaky Auto transmission lines and power steering lines, generally will show up on the frame behind the fr.passenger tire. The leaky lines were a common problem on the 04's, but generally showed themselves early on and should be addressed by now. If its a 4X4 find a dirt rd. that you test it out on and listen for any abnormal sounds, front diff. stub shafts have been a common issue with 04's as well. Don't use 4wd on pavement, it will grenade the stub shafts, gaurenteed. Also if it has power windows verify there operation and that the window when partially down is good and tight. If the truck doens't have the e-locker, I wouldn't worry to much about the rear end, most rear end failures are related to the design of the less then steller e-locker. Of course check the brakes, the common problem was vibration in the steering wheel when braking. Likely the brake update has already been installed, if not if the "in service" date of the truck is still within the 3yrs, they are still in warranty even with all those miles. I have an early build 04 and did have all the above mentioned issue's, but they all occured in the first 36K miles on the truck, since its been flawless, and I expect it to remain that way.

·
Registered
662 Posts
crash519 said:
I would run the VIN # to check for any damage due to wrecks, etc.. and see if the dealer will run a VIN# to see what has been done at the dealer as far as warrantee work and repairs. Brakes and rear end failures seem to be the big ones with the 04's.
I would do what he suggest. Hopefully the truck hasn't been in any wrecks and all the TSB's have been accomplished. With any luck you should be able to get many years and many miles of use out of the truck. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses all. I am going to go and look at the truck today when i get off of work.

A little bit more information on the truck, as I didnt know this before but its an XE model. What do you guys/gal's think about the price? 9k? Too much? Too litte? I checked NADA and it gave me a price of about 11k on it. Things that make ya go hmmm......

BTW - What is an e-locker?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wow 9k? I would definately spend alot of time checking the vehicle out.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
No! Bad year with many problems. Get 08, may be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, thanks for the responses all.

I went and checked out the truck yesterday, and well, lets just say I wasn't impressed. Maybe I was looking for a miracle in an 04 truck with 107k on the ticker. Silly me.... :( :hellno:

Anyway, the salesmen pulls the truck around and starts giving me the smoke. Its obvious he didnt know anything about the truck because it was at a Mitsubishi dealership. He tells me that they just got it, and have not had a chance to detail it, so the interior looked like crap. Dirt all over the place, some kinda sticky substance in the cupholder. The driver's seat cloth was tearing along the side bolster and you could see the foam underneath. When he was pulling it up, the last owner put these awful stickers all over the truck. (I hope this isnt anyone on here, and if it is, sorry, but I still didnt like the stickers). The truck was like a graphite gray with these white NISSAN stickers on both sides. Some kinda of window sticker on the rear sliding glass. Flowmaster bumper sticker on the back, and another one that i cant remember. The passenger side had looked like it had been hit and the dealer is like "oh yeah, we can take care of that" Then on the front, it had this "virginia beach" sticker with a city skyline picture under it in black. Stickers are not my style, and I really dont feel like taking a heat gun, some floss, and some goo gone to a vehicle that I just bought. I didnt even bother checking under the hood, or looking for any leaks. I did crank it up, and the one plus about it was the flowmaster's that were on the truck. Damn these things sound good with an exhaust! Anyway, I kindly told the gentleman that I wasnt interested and went on my merry ol way. Maybe another will fall in my lap sooner or later. Thanks for listening all!

BTW - the dealer said that the truck had a sport package on it? What's that?

:bye:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts