Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2000 Tundra and am thinking of trading it in for a 2004 Titan. Looking for any information on performance, defects, and overall satisfaction with this model year.

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm no Titan Expert but I do remember hearing that the 04's had some rear axle issues that warranty took care of. I just bought an 06 and love it. I've owned several nissans now and they are great cars/trucks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Paul,
I bought a 2004 Titan last May and lifted it within 2 months. I have had absolutely no problems in nearly 20k miles. I tow a 14' enclosed trailer for motocross racing and have room for all my buddies. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
The '04's did have recalls for a brake issue (I've had no issues with mine) and certain ones had rear differential issues. Other than that I'd say that the seats stain pretty easily. Hope you get the truck, they've got a lot of power and are sharp looking.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an 04 with almost 40K miles that has been fine. It had the brakes done as probably all 04s have had done. Other than that no real issues, a few small things but overall I can't complain. In the summer I tow about 6K lbs. without any problems at all.

The rear ends in the early 04s didn't come with synthetic fluid from the factory so this may have caused some of the rear end failures. There was a running change at some point that switched it to synthetic out the door. I switched mine early on and so far, so good.

If you look at the competition up until this year, the Titan is a far superior truck even taking into consideration some early teething problems. The Titan absolutely raised the bar. Only the most recently redesigned trucks (Tundra and Silverado/Sierra) are able to truly compete with it. So if you're looking used then the Titan is the way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had no issues with my '04 except for the brake issue and a couple of recalls that Nissan took care of; understandable for the 1st year of production. I have 97K on my truck right now and I have enjoyed the power everyday. My wife has a Honda Accord and she is always bugging me to take it on long business trips. I kindly say no thanks!

I do want to ask the guy who posted about the rear diff fluid. I was thinking about changing mine this weekend and bought the recomended 80W-90. When was the change made to synthetic and are there any special items I need to perform when changing it? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
i did own a 2004 when they first came out. the power is great. i had no problems with the truck what so ever. at about 20k i taded it in for a 2005 and at about 20k again i traded it in for a 2006 se crew cab 4x4. i have about 13k on this one. but you should make the move you wont regret it.

·
Super Moderator
161,176 Posts
Good choice for an upgrade. There were a few issues with the 04 models. Rear diffs and brakes are the two foremost that come to mind. Both could have been, and should have been taken care of by Nissan though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have an 05 and have had no issues other than the brakes which were fixed at 7K miles and have been good ever since. I did a lot of price shopping when I got mine and it was by far the most truck for the money. The Ford guys would brag that their interior was nicer and ours has a lot of plastic. I say for $3,000 I can pass on the fake wood dash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 04, with about 91K. The brakes were done by the dealer, as was the rear diff. I love the truck. Way way way better than the dodge diesel I had before I got the Titan.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Titan. Not to mention how many people come up to you and say, "nice truck man".

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a 2001 Limited Tundra. Cant speak for the 04's but my base model 07 Titan blows away my old Tundra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts