Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You can see what few mods I have from my sig but I dont have to much to spend. I was thinking of getting a better intake. I have the k&n 77 series and was thinking of getting a better one. Would it be worth it to get a better one? Whats the best intake out right now? One other question. Would putting better catalytic conveters help any? j/w. Im not a jeneus on somethings

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dom249 said:
You can see what few mods I have from my sig but I dont have to much to spend. I was thinking of getting a better intake. I have the k&n 77 series and was thinking of getting a better one. Would it be worth it to get a better one? Whats the best intake out right now? One other question. Would putting better catalytic conveters help any? j/w. Im not a jeneus on somethings
With your current mods more air would def be beneficial. I recently purchased the Volant, I posted a review on the install & my thoughts, but I actually think the stock air box is not a bad design and you already have a K&N. The hi flow cats are expensive & will produce a few more horses but is it worth it to you? If you're going to spend the $ I'd opt for long tubes & ditch the cats. In a racers world every bit of power counts :).

Good Luck,
Rob

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Since you've already got a K&N tube and filter, all the other filters are going to be a plus and negative on the number. K&N already flows pretty well but my prefference would be Injen. I wouldn't spend anymore money on an intake. On the cats, you can get high flow cats but I've seen high flow cats throw check engine lights too. You'll gain probably about 5-8hp on high flow cats but not really worth it for the money.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Dom249 said:
Although the K&N showed the least gains of the big CAI's, it is not by much. You wouldnt feel from the seat of the pants with a change probably. Is the 77 series the metal one?? doesnt matter, one thing I think would help is cutting the restrictive bend going into the Tb. its very drastic on all the cai's. I personally and most other members that got the 90mm PGM had to do this, and after looking at it, i would do this next time even w/o the pgm. Most tubes make MORE than a 90* bend for who knows what reason. The K&N tubes are kinda small in dia, but the filter is huge, which is a good thing. Get a 3"-3" silicone 90* off ebay. Also you can add a ram air (3"or 4"), this will get cold air into the motor quicker.
also if you havnt already, do the Throttle body Coolent By Pass trick to stop hot fluid going through the TB. these are all pretty cheap DIY mods that you will benifit from. Dont worry about the cats just more $$ w/o a big reward if you have the stock headers (manifolds)

attached is some pics to show what i mean. the Blue rsilicone 90* is what im talking about

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leadsled124 said:
Although the K&N showed the least gains of the big CAI's, it is not by much. You wouldnt feel from the seat of the pants with a change probably. Is the 77 series the metal one?? doesnt matter, one thing I think would help is cutting the restrictive bend going into the Tb. its very drastic on all the cai's. I personally and most other members that got the 90mm PGM had to do this, and after looking at it, i would do this next time even w/o the pgm. Most tubes make MORE than a 90* bend for who knows what reason. The K&N tubes are kinda small in dia, but the filter is huge, which is a good thing. Get a 3"-3" silicone 90* off ebay. Also you can add a ram air (3"or 4"), this will get cold air into the motor quicker.
also if you havnt already, do the Throttle body Coolent By Pass trick to stop hot fluid going through the TB. these are all pretty cheap DIY mods that you will benifit from. Dont worry about the cats just more $$ w/o a big reward if you have the stock headers (manifolds)

attached is some pics to show what i mean. the Blue rsilicone 90* is what im talking about
So anotherwords you mean I should make the bend shorter that connects to the tb or get a shorter one which would help some with airflow? or am I just confusing myself lol?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Dom249 said:
So anotherwords you mean I should make the bend shorter that connects to the tb or get a shorter one which would help some with airflow? or am I just confusing myself lol?
Look at where the intake tube bends to go into the TB. Does it bend MORE than a 90* on urs? im sure it atleast pinches down slightly. With my 90* silicone piece, i trimmed it to fit the angle and it is actually less than 90*. Less sevear bends equals more flow equals more power

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leadsled124 said:
Hay heres a link that shows your Tube cut already and directions. Although we with the PGM are useing a 4"-3" reducer 90*, you will do the same but get a 3"-3" 90*
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/thrusttitan/PGM.htm

So the metal tube is cut or is it just the peice they replaced with the blue one that has a less bend?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
oh didnt realize urs is already rubber, most are molded plastic. Only way it will help is if it make less of a bend, looks pretty smooth for the most part. just do a ram air

Hay why is there yellow on the right side of the pic?? looks like yellow wheelwell. U put this motor in a school bus? lol

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leadsled124 said:
oh didnt realize urs is already rubber, most are molded plastic. Only way it will help is if it make less of a bend, looks pretty smooth for the most part. just do a ram air
Where could I find one? and would I be able to see a difference with it?
Thanks the the info so far

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dom249 said:
Where could I find one? and would I be able to see a difference with it?
Thanks the the info so far
haha I have no clue. Once you mentioned the yellow thing I went back out and looked and its just some type of wierd glare on it lol

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Dom249 said:
haha I have no clue. Once you mentioned the yellow thing I went back out and looked and its just some type of wierd glare on it lol
sure..... haha, wierd. Just make your own outa PVC. use 45* or less no 90*'s just gotta start cuttin lol. It is possible to use 3" and keep the winshield washer resivor, i used 4" and ditched it. good luck

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One other question. the tb bypass mod. Ive seen the pic that someone drew up but it was confusing to me lol. But I look at it a while ago and theres a hose at the top and bottom of it if I remember. Take those hoses that connect to it off. and connect the two hoses together? well not connect them but get 1 hose and put it in its place?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Dom249 said:
One other question. the tb bypass mod. Ive seen the pic that someone drew up but it was confusing to me lol. But I look at it a while ago and theres a hose at the top and bottom of it if I remember. Take those hoses that connect to it off. and connect the two hoses together? well not connect them but get 1 hose and put it in its place?

One hose is fine. i had a pic but must of deleted it

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rasnake said:
yup and a spacer
What do I put over the holes on the tb with?
Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leadsled124 said:
Rubber caps if you want. nothing will be in there u can leave open if u really want
oh yeah didnt think about the part wehre nothing was going thru it lol.Thanks for all the advice

1 - 18 of 18 Posts