Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm new on the forum but have been lurking and learning about the titan from you all for the last couple of weeks. A new addition to my family means that my ext. cab GMC Canyon is too small and my wife wants a full sized crew cab truck. I was considering an F150 (with a 5.4L wet noodle engine) or a Sierra/Silverado until I test drove a Titan... Wow, great truck.

Hopefully you guys can help me make a decision between these used trucks:

2011 4x4 SV Crew Cab
75,000 Miles (120,000 kms)
Stock
Asking $14,000 USD ($18,990 CAD)

2011 4x4 Pro 4x Crew Cab
92,500 Miles (148,000 kms)
Fully loaded (has Premium Utility and Luxury Packages, no rear DVD)
Asking $14,000 USD ($18,990 CAD)

2012 4x4 SL Crew Cab
110,000 Miles (176,000 kms)
Asking $12,600 USD ($16,990 CAD)

I work primarily from home and expense any business related mileage. The truck will be used to get into the Rockies (I live in Calgary) for mountain biking and fishing (lots of unpaved mountain service roads) plus towing our river drift boat and launching it on rocky/rutty/steep river banks. I will also use it for hauling building supplies (for my own house), dump runs, etc...

Assuming they are all in good shape, how much does the mileage matter? Does it really matter at all?

Before test driving any of these cars, I'm leaning towards the Pro-4X.

Thoughts? What would you choose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would think either of the 2011's would be great. The pro4 does have a locking differential. If you wont be in 4wd all the time, I see no issues with the SV. I have an SV and love it. You also have almost 20,000 less miles on it. From the research I have done, these trucks should easily go 250,000 miles with proper maintenance and upkeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Good insight. I hoping either option will last a long time.

I should add that the SL and Pro4x have sunroofs, leather and heated seats which are also things I'd like (but don't need) to have.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If the SV doesn't have the Big Tow package definitely the Pro4. You'll have a little less towing capacity than the SV because of weight if both of them are equally equipped. I think the Pro4 also comes with some more goodies over the SV, but not sure how different the two are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if the SV has the tow package, maybe not.

The Pro4x has all options except the rear DVD. The SV is stock but has after market fender flares and step rails.

My boat and trailer currently are less than 1,000 lbs. We will likely be renting a camping trailer this summer though to try that out.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My 15 SV has the tow package. I don't know if it was an option or not. I bought it off the lot. If you buy the PRO4X be prepared to swap out the crap rancho shocks and struts, maybe on either.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Wow. Wish I could find a deal like any of those down here in Alabama. Prices on used trucks are ridiculous down here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. Wish I could find a deal like any of those down here in Alabama. Prices on used trucks are ridiculous down here.

In Alberta Titans seem to be under valued for some reason I can't explain. A sales rep at a dealership told me they get lots of guys from the USA coming up to buy used Titans.

My 15 SV has the tow package. I don't know if it was an option or not. I bought it off the lot. If you buy the PRO4X be prepared to swap out the crap rancho shocks and struts, maybe on either.

Is it bad for regular use or bad for full-on off road use?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I've had the stock Rancho's for 112k. They're just not great struts. Guess I got used to them early on and just waited for them to get old. I have a set of Bilstein's sitting the garage waiting to replace them though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I vote the Pro-4X as well. I agree with replacing the struts though. They're not the worst things in the world but, if you're driving/hauling through mountains on questionable roads, they're going to be a ticking time bomb. A $350ish set of 4 Bilsteins would make a world of difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. I'll check to see if they've been modified already, if not that's a relatively small expense. And I can deal with it in the interim.

Is the consensus that the mileage doesn't really matter between 75K and 92K? I'd assume it wouldn't matter much.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
As long as the trucks have been decently/regularly maintained the difference between 75k and 92k is marginal.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Based on those 3 and the prices I would take the Pro-4X. 17k mile difference and a big difference in how it's optioned.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The only thing I'd check on with the Pro-4X that may not be an immediate concern with the other ones, is the ATF fluid. Typically you're not going to want to mess with it beyond 100,000 miles, if it hasn't been changed at all prior to that. May be worth asking the owner/dealer or checking the service records. I believe it's a 60,000 mile maintenance item. If it hasn't been changed, I'd recommend getting that knocked out sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I've put 368000km on my 07. Still drive it to canmore every day.

I wouldn't hesitate to hop in it and drive to Florida tomorrow. They're solid trucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Awesome. The ones I see around here all seem to be in good shape. Hopefully mine will be going down to the bow river and out to moose mountain and kananaskis quite often.

I test drove two trucks this weekend and may end up with an option "D" that I discovered on Friday. I'll post details if it goes through.

In the meanwhile, I was selling (sold friday) my manual transmission gmc canyon on kijiji and in my ad I mentioned that I would consider a trade for a newer crew cab titan plus cash from my end. Someone decided to send me some unsolicited advice, thought you guys may get a kick out of it.

This is a copy/paste of what I received:

Hi. Nice truck. Word of advice dont buy titan u will b sorry. I had 1 they are crap. Girly truck, good to carry groceries in .

I didn't respond, don't have time for that. What's the saying again? Opinions are like......

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Great advice, by far, my titan is the girliest truck i've ever owned.....

I'd go for the pro-4. My biggest want in my 09 SE is the gear ratio. i'd love to have the gearing from the pro-4. And the ranchos from the factory are horrible. however, not all ranchos are junk. I'm running the rancho quick lifts on mine now, and it's a great ride even with a sway-bar delete. not enough time on them yet to be sure of longevity, but they are smooth and well mannered. So my vote, the pro-4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The deal went through, I'm picking up a white 2012 Pro-4x with 92,000 kms (57,500 mi) tomorrow. After a few hours of haggling, I got a good deal despite spending a little more than I was initially hoping to. My wife and I agree that spending slightly more on a truck with nearly 40% less mileage (92K vs 148K) and a year newer is worth it. Wife approved!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts