Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Yes my Diff Sucks!

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have had Differential problems after ?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
::Looking Around:: I'll be hanging out here for a bit cause these to mods are on my list as well. What up B!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
trutrac done on new axle assembly... no diff problems since, however axle seal leak on driver side. vent mod or no vent mod, crap oem seals suck. 1st axle developed leaks and now my 2nd axle has developed a leak.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trutrac done on new axle assembly... no diff problems since, however axle seal leak on driver side. vent mod or no vent mod, crap oem seals suck. 1st axle developed leaks and now my 2nd axle has developed a leak.
So can you refresh my memory, did you have a TrueTrac & gears in your first Diff ? and what is done in your current Diff ? I know its NOT the axle vent mod :huh:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
::Looking Around:: I'll be hanging out here for a bit cause these to mods are on my list as well. What up B!
Hey Jon! TrueTrac 4.11's and the vent mod and you'll be good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
So can you refresh my memory, did you have a TrueTrac & gears in your first Diff ? and what is done in your current Diff ? I know its NOT the axle vent mod :huh:
no true trac or gears in the first axle and vent mod was done by dealership yet still developed a seal leak on the passenger side.

second axle, installed... vent mod done by dealership. then a few months later had true trac and gears done. 4 weeks ago developed a bad leak on the driver-side of the axle. had the seals and bearings replaced 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no true trac or gears in the first axle and vent mod was done by dealership yet still developed a seal leak on the passenger side.

second axle, installed... vent mod done by dealership. then a few months later had true trac and gears done. 4 weeks ago developed a bad leak on the driver-side of the axle. had the seals and bearings replaced 2 weeks ago.
It has to be the vent, I would check it :teethmast

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I did axle vent mod. Had TT installed. Axle seal leak on left side done, and then they saw right side leaking too. They did not have parts for second seal that day. Went home to my regular dealer and they said my oil was dirty, meaning something was wrong (wearing), so they replaced my entire axle with an 08. Lost my TT after 1 year and only 2 track days.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I did axle vent mod. Had TT installed. Axle seal leak on left side done, and then they saw right side leaking too. They did not have parts for second seal that day. Went home to my regular dealer and they said my oil was dirty, meaning something was wrong (wearing), so they replaced my entire axle with an 08. Lost my TT after 1 year and only 2 track days.
Ouch! I just installed my TT while replacing the seals. My seal had gone bad from the brake caliper freezing up and causing everything to overheat. I figured that since I was halfway into the diff while replacing the bearings and seals, I might as well make the rest of it new. I hope mine lasts longer than a year.
I think alot of the seals failures could be linked to the brakes being undersized and causing excessive rotor heat?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
One of the Nissan Part guys posted he believes the Seals leaked because the bore they go into is not as tight fitting (lacked highest accuracy in machining) as needed. Seals are just industry standard design, nothing unusual at all. Any time an axle is moved out, you inherently increase risk of later seal failure, but certainly, we have more than we should on the early years.

I seriously doubt heat from rear brakes is a factor. No high incidence of rear brake rotor failure or wear to indicate heat issue. Seals are simply too far removed from the rotors imo.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the Nissan Part guys posted he believes the Seals leaked because the bore they go into is not as tight fitting (lacked highest accuracy in machining) as needed. Seals are just industry standard design, nothing unusual at all. Any time an axle is moved out, you inherently increase risk of later seal failure, but certainly, we have more than we should on the early years.

I seriously doubt heat from rear brakes is a factor. No high incidence of rear brake rotor failure or wear to indicate heat issue. Seals are simply too far removed from the rotors imo.
I have had the axles pulled 2 times going to 3.73's then to 4.56's and have had the entire Diff disassembled and reassembled to straighten sleeve and truss the axle housing all without changing the bearing & seal assembly's. I have no leaks.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the person who installed your TT did not set up the Diff correctly
Something wasn't wearing right, maybe running hot, to much pressure and blew out the seals ? Did you have Regular or Synthetic fluid in your Diff, I have been told by two reputable shops that Regular (Non-Synthetic) fluid was best for the TrueTrac :confused:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I ran M1 75W-140, and changed it out after 1,000 miles (book says 500). I don't recall the backlash now, but was told the number back then, and that it matched OEM Measured prior to change out.

Detroit does specify Conventional, while Nissan specifies Synthetic. Conflict in recommendations. I haven't heard why Synthetic would be a problem, since no clutches are involved in the TT, unlike a Posi-trac. Facts on that, would be nice to see.

Even with loss of TT, OEM ABLS plenty effective in light-moderate snow typical in my region. best track time still came later, after more tuning and headers/07 Intake; though it would be better still with a TT. 14.6 at 93. Daily driving experience most important to me though, not track times. I live on a hill, only missed work for snow/ice about 2 times in 30 years. Never in the Titan though, unless roads were closed. :)

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
truetrac + vent mod. Axle seals lasted about 50k since vent mod, just got the parts to replace seals/bearings on both sides.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I had both rear axles seal's break before, but since i had my TT installed i haven't had a problem w/ my axle seal's. I periodically check the axle vent to make sure it's venting properly.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
can someone please let me know how to check the vent and also a how-to on the vent mod. i've read the thread with pics but still stuck. i know, but can someone refresh. thx...

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
i'm gettin trutrac and gears next month and i want to do the vent mod...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts