Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a pic that if you compare with yours you'll see where I put the two throttle body coolant hoses together with a 3/8ths connector and bypassed the flow of 195 degree coolant through the throttle body. The ECU thinks it is going to get air warmed up by the throttle body and it don't happen, resulting in a slightly leaner, more combustible mixture that makes more torque of the line and beyond. I've seen dyno runs on GM cars that show this mod works across the power band. Juma

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
juma said:
here's a pic that if you compare with yours you'll see where I put the two throttle body coolant hoses together with a 3/8ths connector and bypassed the flow of 195 degree coolant through the throttle body. The ECU thinks it is going to get air warmed up by the throttle body and it don't happen, resulting in a slightly leaner, more combustible mixture that makes more torque of the line and beyond. I've seen dyno runs on GM cars that show this mod works across the power band. Juma
Thanks for the pic. I know Chevy LS1 engine guys believe in this "mod."
BTW, will this void my warranty? :rofl: :rofl: :cheers:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve04SE said:
Thanks for the pic. I know Chevy LS1 engine guys believe in this "mod."
BTW, will this void my warranty? :rofl: :rofl: :cheers:

there'll be no question if you just hook it back up if you have to have something checked on the motor. otherwise, they'll never notice it, especially under the stock shroud.

I'm gonna leave that off too and see if I don't get better cooling of the intake runners.

juma

·
Registered
899 Posts
Where'd you get the little black rubber caps that are slid over the (now unused) nipples on the throttle body? Is that what they are made for, or are they from some other application? I guess they are only there to keep out grime from the coolant path of the throttle body.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike H. said:
Where'd you get the little black rubber caps that are slid over the (now unused) nipples on the throttle body? Is that what they are made for, or are they from some other application? I guess they are only there to keep out grime from the coolant path of the throttle body.
they are just vacume plugs. I found them at autozone in an assorment. Looks like 3/8ths is the best fit.

juma

·
Registered
680 Posts
Not such a great idea if you live in a cold climate and your throttle plate freezes open, which is much more likely considering the throttle is not connected to a mechanical cable. I tried this mod on my supra and it did absolutely nothing and i'm sure its not going to do much positive for the titan either. Its there for a reason.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
71 Cuda ran exhaust gas under intake.Does the coolant "bypass"once the engine is warm

My 71 Cuda ran exhaust gas under the intake to improve starting,and immediate post start running by heating the fuel gasoline mix and vaporizing the gas.It was also a pre cat. pollution control since the burn was better and it could be jetted leaner.A question
1)Does this coolant system bypass once the engine is warm?I can't think of any reason to run hot coolant thru there after the engine is warm.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
680 Posts
you run warm coolent thru the throttle body so condensation does not freeze rendering the throttle plate siezed which will really ruin your day in the process. It really does not warm the air all that much, some but not much. If you live in an area that dips below freezing I would really recommend not doing this, you could die as a result. If you live in a warm climate you can but still your pretty much wasting your time.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If I lived in canada, I probably wouldn't do it. but the lower 48 its pretty much proven out on 94-96 impala ss, camaro, and corvettes. I think they are still doing it for LS1's. nobody has died from it. I have seen over he years numerous dyno runs showing it gives about 5 ft/lb's torque over the whole power band. its the difference between 190 degree from water heating and about 100 degrees from the ambient air. It makes a difference in throttle response and torque that is very noticeable, especially off the line. anyway, no law says you have to do it.....juma

ps - I spent a week in Boston in '99 and it was never above zero and got to 10-15 below at nite. the '96 caprice LT1 I had with the TB bypass performed fine, never a problem. It was nice to get south of New York City though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You could also do this mod for the warm months of the year and then switch back to the OE setup when winter hits. Just something to think about! :rockon

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would like to see a dyno on the Titan of this mod. We can postulate all day about how gases flow thru the TB but a real world test would be interesting. Just because the coolant is 195 deg doesn't mean that this is the peak temp that the incoming air will be exposed to.

·
Registered
256 Posts
radiokid said:
I would like to see a dyno on the Titan of this mod. We can postulate all day about how gases flow thru the TB but a real world test would be interesting. Just because the coolant is 195 deg doesn't mean that this is the peak temp that the incoming air will be exposed to.
Check out this link: http://titantalk.com/showthread.php?t=12609

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
radiokid said:

True. Its probably far hotter. Just touch it sometime after you've driven 10 miles. There is some thought on the F-body Camaro board that running coolant throught the throttle body was really done to condense steam that had formed as the coolant went through the heads.

juma

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in South Florida and i have seen no gains with or with out the bypass on LS1 cars. Most of us just leave it disconected when we switch to an aftermarket TB or do a port job.Now on the flip side i have seen a sticking TB in the winter last year in Chicago on an LT1 car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I thought we already ended this argument, but again, how are you measuring the "gains" you are or are not seeing?

So far I've seen a dyno run showing a decent gain (especially for a free mod)....

....and speculation and PERSONAL opinions that it does, and does not work.

So I'll stick with the dyno and MY personal opinion for now!

P.S. I will hook it up in winter when going to the mountains.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Big Platinum said:
I thought we already ended this argument, but again, how are you measuring the "gains" you are or are not seeing?

So far I've seen a dyno run showing a decent gain (especially for a free mod)....

....and speculation and PERSONAL opinions that it does, and does not work.

So I'll stick with the dyno and MY personal opinion for now!

P.S. I will hook it up in winter when going to the mountains.

I saw no increase in hp or tq over any of the rpm range of an ls1 motor ,and these were my runs and not someone elses runs that i happened to see a dyno sheet on. nor did i see any mpg increase.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Did you do a seperate dyno just testing the throttle body bypass? If so, I would like to see them. Not trying to get testy, I would just like to see actual proof it doesn't work. Most of us racers in the 5.0 world have done this mod for years.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KHShapiro said:
I saw no increase in hp or tq over any of the rpm range of an ls1 motor ,and these were my runs and not someone elses runs that i happened to see a dyno sheet on. nor did i see any mpg increase.

Its possible that it doesn't work on an LS1 due to the very tight engine compartment which may cause the throttle body to heat up anyway. This could be the explanation for why it doesn't work on a number of performance cars yet seems to work on others like my 9C1 Caprice with an LT1. I have about a foot of air between the radiator and the motor. The author of the dyno run of the firebird I have provided was very careful to let the motor totally cool between with TB bypass and without. Others may not have been as rigorous in testing. I can feel good throttle response on my titan and it is way better with an insulated air duct and TB bypass -- just makes sense too. I think I am gonna wrap the throttle body in header wrap to further insulate from the coolant terminal that sets below the throttle body as if you are setting in traffic, the TB will begin to heat up a little. Juma

1 - 20 of 59 Posts