Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on Club Armada the other day but haven't had any responses yet. Figured I would post it here and see what you guys think...

Sssooo my radiator cracked... Time for an all aluminum I guess. While looking at all my options I came across an old Titan thread about building an intercooler for the TB.

Got me thinking... A lot of guys seem to just bypass the internal cooler and go with an external. So why not use the built in trans cooler as an intercooler for the TB.

I wasn't able to find anyone else that had done this, so it's either a dumb idea or I have a "special" way of thinking haha. My understanding of the built-in trans cooler is that it's essentially a tube that is submerged in coolant.

So I guess my concern is that coolant circulating through the TB would be heated by the engine coolant and therefore negate any cooling effects.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. I currently bypassed the throttle body and I'm not sure if this would do any better or actually make it worse than my current setup.

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
1. How would you circulate the fluid?
2. I would think you might end up causing the throttle body to be hotter
3. There is a throttle body bypass mod written up where we turn off coolant to the throttle body. I have mine set up so I can turn it back on in the winter months.

·
Registered
968 Posts
the gains would not be enough to validate the work, $$$ and weight added to circulate coolant. Air travels so fast through the TB that it is cooled down so fast anyway. and cooling just the TB wouldnt be cold enough to help.

You have 11-12 cubic feet of air moving through the intake tube per second at high RPM. That’s a column of air the height of a 70 story building being ingested into your engine each minute. try cooling that down with a TB.
Hope this info helps! Just bypass the coolant hoses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys, I was super pumped about this idea until I started thinking about it more haha. I would have just used a small electric fuel pump to circulate the coolant through the TB.

I did the throttle body coolant bypass about 2 years ago. Just did a straight bypass since it pretty much never goes below 35° where I live.

I get bored and try to think up ways of going faster or being different, I guess I'll have to find something else I can modify :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts