Nissan Titan Forum banner

Throttle Body Spacer Question

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  primetime 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what exactly the throttle body spacer does.
It claims it gives 2-4 mpg as well as 5 hp....any truth behind this?

If anybody has purchased one, what are your feelings about it?

Thanks,
Huston

#2 ·
huston said:
I was just wondering what exactly the throttle body spacer does.
It claims it gives 2-4 mpg as well as 5 hp....any truth behind this?

If anybody has purchased one, what are your feelings about it?

Thanks,
Huston

I dont know if I ever got any better gas mileage,probably becasue i didnt try and see if I was or not, hp wise I noticed a bigger diff with the helix spacer than I did with my 77 series intake from k&n, driving wise I thought I could feel more of a difference.my intake is supposed to give 7.25hp est. everyone has diff opinions.Some ppl like them some dont.Also the helix makes a decently loud whistling noise up to around 2500 rpm

#3 ·
I have one and it works great. Little but noticeable powerand a little better on mpgs. It just spins the air coming in, into a vortex, which explains the whistling sound.

#4 ·
I have the helix and after installing it in all 4 possible positions, I removed it. I could not tolerate the whistle. It soundsed like I had a squeaky belt all of the time. I like performance mods, but I also have to put clients in my truck on a daily basis and there is just no way I could listen to the whistle or expect them to listen to it either. It did seem like it made a difference but it wasn't worth it to me. I will sell mine to anyone that wants it. PM me.

#5 ·
well i got a catback exhuast i put on a airaid intake like 3 weeks ago felt alot of difference then i put the airaid throttle body spacer a 2weeks ago and felt a big difference on that as well im not sure if it does much on its own but it made a big difference with mine i think you get even more horsepower wihen you combine the mods i noticed better shifting and way faster respons from the pedal for a 100 bucks its deffinatly worth it and its easy to install

#7 ·
do u think it's better to stay within one company for the TBS and Intake, kinda like matched components. Or does it even make a difference, lets say like i buy a Volant CAI and use a helix or some other company other than a volant cuz i dont even think volant makes a TBS.?? I wanna get one also but have no idea what benefits come from a TBS and WHich one shows the most Benefits in hp and torque?? any help greatly appreciated

#8 ·
I had the k&n 77series intake,rated at 7.25 hp put a helix tbs a month or so later and felt more of a difference with the tbs than I did with the intake. How odd can that get lol

#12 ·
I think the spacing issue shows up at the radiator, if we're talking about the same thing. There's very little clearance there and some have had to "trim" their intake tubes, so the conflict is between the tube and the radiator, they just trim the tube where it is most feasable which is at the opening of the throttle body. The guys that make these tubes make them on stock applications and use all the space that is available to straighten bends and so forth, so when you go back with a spacer and kill an inch of that space, this conflict can arise.

#14 ·
There is no specific answer to the spacing issue question, other than it's a case by case basis. It depends on which intake and which spacer you have. It is however, very easy to fix, as mentioned above. Simply take a hack saw and trim a 1/2 inch from your intake tube. It will go right into place and should function just the same. Less is more when trimming as too much can point the filter at too much of an angle to still fit if you ever remove your spacer. At least make sure you plan to keep the spacer before you cut away all of you intake.

#15 ·
007KING said:
do u think it's better to stay within one company for the TBS and Intake, kinda like matched components. Or does it even make a difference, lets say like i buy a Volant CAI and use a helix or some other company other than a volant cuz i dont even think volant makes a TBS.?? I wanna get one also but have no idea what benefits come from a TBS and WHich one shows the most Benefits in hp and torque?? any help greatly appreciated

I have a 04 4X4 with a Injen Intake that is awsome and a flowmaster exaust. I just put a airid throttle body spacer ( poweraid ) and feel little gain. It does make a wisle sound about 2000rpm but thats it. It's worth it if you like adding mods to your truck but I'm sure you don't have to stay with the some brand. If looking for a good intake I would definatly recomend injen Intake. It gave me a reel noticeable hp & tq gain. The throttle body spacer just complamented the intake.

#16 ·
To be painfully honest, there is no noticable difference between TBS's. I have the Airraid(Poweraid), and besides the "whistle" at different RPM's there isn't really a difference between the available TBS's that are on the market. Pick one and go for it. If you don't mind a little noise at/around 1500RPM then the TBS is for you. I personally like the extra noise along with the Volant CAI and Banks Monster exhaust...The beastie sounds MEAN!!!...lol

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.