Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am learning how to work on my truck and am new to the mods world. I was reading up on different mods I could do to my 08 Titan and came across the throttle body spacer. Does it help enough with gas milage and power to make it worth it, I already have CAI. I found one online for about $102. Thanks for your help with this question.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
There are many views to this mod, personally I don't think that it does much, at least not enough to warrant buying it. There is almost nothing that you can do to our trucks to up the gas mileage short of driving under 2000 rpms all the time, but what is the fun in that. If you want fuel economy, buy a 4 cylinder, not a 5.6L V8.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Like Override said, there's arguements for and againts it. There are many claims from creating a vaccum effect, better atomization, bewtter fuel econemy, etc, etc while scientifically speaking it should do absolutely nothing with performance while draining a few $$$ from your wallet.

I had on on my 4.0L Jeep wrangler and didn't really notice any performance gain or mileage increase with it. It did make my intake quite loud and it made a superchager whiste sound under throttle (most make a whistling sound/increase engine noise on the titan as well)...so obviously it was doing something.

With mods like a CAI, exhaust, they claim sooo much of a gain in MPG, but in actuality it usually isn't much at all.
I have the JBA Evol exhaust, S&B CAI and 2* timing advance on my titan.
Before my mods if I drove it as I usually do or get on it, I'd get 11-12 MPG city. If i babied it...13 MPG. After my mods I usually get 12-13 MPG if I drive it like I stole it and if I baby it I've gotten at best 14.5 with all city driving.
With the mods you should see an increase in power..therefore it should require less throttle/gas to get the truck up to speed and ultimatley giving you a gain in MPG. Unfortunately since you have more power, the majority of drivers drive the vehicle a little harder and negate any MPG gain the mods may have given.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Late model fuel injected cars and trucks have their fuel and air mixed just prior to being injected into the combustion chamber, meaning all the swirling going on in the intake manifold isn't happening with the fuel, so the "mixing" of the air and fuel doesn't happen. Older, carburated vehicles and ones with throttle body injection (older than a '95) can benefit from this swirling motion, however your brand new port injected Chevy Siverado isn't going to benefit at all from this action other than making a weird high pitch noise from under the hood that some kid might mistake for a turbo.

We equipped a 2001 Ford Super Duty V-10 with an aftermarket throttle body spacer made by one of the name brand manufacturers out there. Prior to this test the truck had been modified with a cold air intake system and full 3.5" exhaust system from the headers back. When getting a baseline dyno, the best pull rendered 283.4 hp and 361.4 lb-ft torque (corrected for 93°F) at the rear wheels. After the addition of the throttle body spacer, the best we could pull 281.1 hp and 354.7 lb-ft torque. Now, we will concede that the engine was getting hotter and so was the day by the time we had the throttle body spacer installed (approx. 20 mins later) but according to the manufacturer we should have had an "noticeable increase in power" which is contrary to the reports generated by the Dynojet.

http://www.truckblog.com/story-444-fuel_economy_myths_throttle_body_spacers

·
Registered
12 Posts
JET Performance products makes a dyno tested throttle body spacer that really works.It will not improve your gas mileage, but you will notice an increase in horse power.I did. they claim up to 8 horse power,I'd say closer to 5.It also is one that does not whistle like some of the other brands.Is it worth $100.00 for 5 extra horses? that is up to you.But this one does work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts