Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah its weird. Try to be nice and smooth and it acts up but put your foot in it and it drives right. Doesnt make sense.

I have heard on here and a couple other places that a Pedal Commander or a Sprint Boost like TitanAndy mentions above has worked wonders. I had one on a 2017 Expedition (think throttle by wire lag and turbo lag combined) and it made a world of difference. I had one on my 2017 Chevy 1500 (it had a off the line lag similar to what some of us are experiencing with our Titans) and it pretty much eliminated it.

Might be worth trying. Id rather spend the $300 on something else but if it improves drivability then its probably worth it.

If the Nissan mechanics are recommending it then you know there is no oem fix.
Yea i think you hit the nail on the head. There's no OEM fix. Outside of throwing a code, i dont see mechanics at the dealer going above and beyond to do any adjustments. In fact, I don't even think they have the authority or permissions to do any ECU adjustments if that's what it takes.

I will look into a Pedal Commander as I have not really heard of them. I'm sure this is not the first vehicle to have laggy throttle response off the line. I did read, as well, where someone said its the fly-by-wire thats the issue in the throttle but cant find the thread or forum i saw it in. If I figure out a solution I will definitely let you all know. Its really not a game changer for me, just something that I think is fixable from the factory. Sadly, thats not going to happen. May take someone dying in an accident and investigation leading to this issue for Nissan to do a recall and fix this, as terrible as it sounds. I can just see someone trying to pull out quickly and pressing the gas and nothing happening so they goose it to try and get out quick and the truck peeling out, driver loses control....especially in adverse/wet/icy conditions. :rolleyes:

I'll look up that Pedal Commander thing though! Good Tip!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Note: just looked up the Pedal Commander and I think it would be the thing to do the trick!

....except it doesn't work with adaptive cruise control vehicles. And guess what my Titan has....馃様

Back to the drawing boards....

Registered
I've got an iDrive (similar to the Pedal Commander) on my 2020 Pro4x, works with adaptive cruise just fine.
For me, I've found that the issue is the transmission, it doesn't want to downshift into 2nd when rolling through a yield sign or something until you give it enough throttle, it'll stay in 3rd for way to long. When I drive in tow mode, it makes the shift more aggressive and helps with this alot.

Anyways, look into iDrive if you think that'll help, cheaper than the pedal commander and works with adaptive cruise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've got an iDrive (similar to the Pedal Commander) on my 2020 Pro4x, works with adaptive cruise just fine.
For me, I've found that the issue is the transmission, it doesn't want to downshift into 2nd when rolling through a yield sign or something until you give it enough throttle, it'll stay in 3rd for way to long. When I drive in tow mode, it makes the shift more aggressive and helps with this alot.

Anyways, look into iDrive if you think that'll help, cheaper than the pedal commander and works with adaptive cruise.
Awesome feedback. Are you saying with the idrive the downshift is an issue or is that something you are experiencing in general? I'm not getting any issues there but I'll pay attention more for it.

Ya know, I've not tried shifting manually. I wonder if that will have any effect? Probably not but worth a test.

Registered
Awesome feedback. Are you saying with the idrive the downshift is an issue or is that something you are experiencing in general? I'm not getting any issues there but I'll pay attention more for it.

Ya know, I've not tried shifting manually. I wonder if that will have any effect? Probably not but worth a test.
The downshifting issue was something I was experiencing in general.
I bought the iDrive thinking it was a throttle lag issue, but noticed it didn't really fix it. That's when I tried driving in tow mode and found out it's the transmission.
I've got over 5k miles on mine. I don't notice it as much as before, but pretty sure I've just gotten used to it and adjusted my driving style for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought the iDrive thinking it was a throttle lag issue, but noticed it didn't really fix it. That's when I tried driving in tow mode and found out it's the transmission.
I've got over 5k miles on mine. I don't notice it as much as before, but pretty sure I've just gotten used to it and adjusted my driving style for it.
Yea that's what the dealer said essentially. The new 9 speed transmission being culprit. BUT I do believe the lag I'm experiencing is something fixable as I'm almost positive there is an electronic parameter that involves response time of gear 1 engaging via the electronic throttle delivery I.e drive-by-wire system. I suppose only 1 way to find out 馃ぃ.

Also, the idrive only has the Titan XD going to current years. The A60 is only Titan model for the idrive that's non XD :(

Registered
Here's the one I bought, I have a non-xd:

I email them first to be sure that it works on non-xd models and they said it does. Might be a good idea to ask them again just to double check.

Registered
Yea that's what the dealer said essentially. The new 9 speed transmission being culprit. BUT I do believe the lag I'm experiencing is something fixable as I'm almost positive there is an electronic parameter that involves response time of gear 1 engaging via the electronic throttle delivery I.e drive-by-wire system. I suppose only 1 way to find out 馃ぃ.

Also, the idrive only has the Titan XD going to current years. The A60 is only Titan model for the idrive that's non XD :(
The XD uses the same motor and trans so the iDrive should work fine

Premium Member
Since the issue you have wound up being with the transmission...would you buy the iDrive again?

Registered
UPDATE

Well guys, I have News. Good and Bad lol.

So, I took the truck to Nissan and they said what I assumed they would. Said theirs's no codes so there's nothing to "fix". Their offical words from the 2 mechanics were "We dont really see too many 2021 Titans come in but we drove your truck, another 2021 and a 2019. There was no difference between your truck or another 2021 but we could tell what you mean by driving the 2019. They essentially said the truck "drives as designs" and is claiming that the new 9 Speed transmission (the 2019 had a 7 speed). The mechanic said a fix could be getting a throttle tuner or taking it to a shop to have the throttle tuned to remove the lag as this issue only effects 1st gear? I shouldnt HAVE to take a $60k truck into a shop to retune the throttle, but alas, here we are.

So for all of you thinking it will get better, from their words, there's nothing wrong with it. Its just doing what its designed to do (probably a gearing issue of some sort that I figured it was.

Now, where to find a place to tweak and tune the throttle response and fix it..... :cautious:

Hope this helped or shed light for everyone. Attaching official statement below from service center. Would be nice to have an official "Nissan Corporate" on this.

View attachment 549716
I have a 2004 Titan. Always had bad throttle response. So I added Dual exhaust. No change. Then I added Cold Air intake. WOW. Instant throttle response! Snap your neck back! HIGHLY RECOMMEND! But since your still under warranty, you may want to wait till out of warranty as I'm not sure of effect.

Registered
2021, Nissan Titan Pro-4X in Red Alert
I have a new 2021 SL 4X4. I have the throttle delay and the herky jerky 1 to 2 up and down shift. I only have 500 miles on it so will give it a little time to see if it heals itself. Disappointing though for $60K truck. It should shift right and respond from the git go.
I guess I have around 5K miles and it doesn't self heal. It's not terrible because I've been driving a crappy Kia hybrid throttle by wire and that's the worst.

Registered
Same thing happening to me with the lag out of the gate on my 2020 P4x with 1,500 miles. I鈥檓 taking mine in to the dealership to get some pain fixed and will see what they say.

Registered
I have same thing on brand new Pro 4x. Driving me nuts too and it looks like worthless to take into Nissan. How does this get past testing is beyond me.

Registered
Has anyone noticed that when going in reverse you can only go so fast. Its like it has a governor on it in reverse. It reminds me of a four wheeler with overdrive, but there is no overdrive button to push to make it go faster. I have a 21' Pro 4x

Registered
Give yourself some time to get used to it. What you described does not sound normal.

Every Titan since the beginning of time (2004) has drive-by-wire throttle. I was skeptical at first, but mine (2004) has been flawless for 17 years. People who borrow it (i.e, my brother who has Chevy and Ford) say "your throttle feels weird". It doesn't feel weird to me.

Also, my transmission (5 speed) was the smoothest shifting I've ever experienced in any vehicle. Couldn't even hear or feel most shifts unless you had one eye on the tach. Again, 17 years later, it's still good. When rounding a corner in my suburban neighborhood at <20 mph I sometimes feel a small lurch as it's downshifting or upshifting, like it's momentarily confused (for 0.5 seconds) as to what my intentions are, but it's very, very minor.

Registered
Hey Guys,

New here. Just bought a 2021 Pro 4x last week. Love the thing. Issue I'm having is a delay in response when i press the pedal. This is only an issue when I'm taking off from a stop or slow roll (1st gear). I'm assuming it may be a gearing ratio thing? I'm not sure. I also have played around and I see the response is slightly better if I press the pedal down with my toes at the top of the pedal vs resting my heal on the floor and pressing the pedal towards the bottom. Still a delay, but noticeable.

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe a flash and configuring to fix this? It bugs me to press the pedal down, even slightly, and have a good half second delay and then truck jolts forward like I've been spraying fuel for half a second before combustion happens.

Any insight would be great!

-Andy
Go buy a Pedal Commander!! Will take care of that problem instantly..

Registered
Has anyone noticed that when going in reverse you can only go so fast. Its like it has a governor on it in reverse. It reminds me of a four wheeler with overdrive, but there is no overdrive button to push to make it go faster. I have a 21' Pro 4x
Who goes fast in reverse? Lol

Registered
Yeah its weird. Try to be nice and smooth and it acts up but put your foot in it and it drives right. Doesnt make sense.

I have heard on here and a couple other places that a Pedal Commander or a Sprint Boost like TitanAndy mentions above has worked wonders. I had one on a 2017 Expedition (think throttle by wire lag and turbo lag combined) and it made a world of difference. I had one on my 2017 Chevy 1500 (it had a off the line lag similar to what some of us are experiencing with our Titans) and it pretty much eliminated it.

Might be worth trying. Id rather spend the $300 on something else but if it improves drivability then its probably worth it.

If the Nissan mechanics are recommending it then you know there is no oem fix.
Go by a Pedal Commander!! Works instantly will remove the delay..

Registered
UPDATE

Well guys, I have News. Good and Bad lol.

So, I took the truck to Nissan and they said what I assumed they would. Said theirs's no codes so there's nothing to "fix". Their offical words from the 2 mechanics were "We dont really see too many 2021 Titans come in but we drove your truck, another 2021 and a 2019. There was no difference between your truck or another 2021 but we could tell what you mean by driving the 2019. They essentially said the truck "drives as designs" and is claiming that the new 9 Speed transmission (the 2019 had a 7 speed). The mechanic said a fix could be getting a throttle tuner or taking it to a shop to have the throttle tuned to remove the lag as this issue only effects 1st gear? I shouldnt HAVE to take a $60k truck into a shop to retune the throttle, but alas, here we are.

So for all of you thinking it will get better, from their words, there's nothing wrong with it. Its just doing what its designed to do (probably a gearing issue of some sort that I figured it was.

Now, where to find a place to tweak and tune the throttle response and fix it..... :cautious:

Hope this helped or shed light for everyone. Attaching official statement below from service center. Would be nice to have an official "Nissan Corporate" on this.

View attachment 549716
Go by a Pedal Commander!! Works instantly will remove the delay..

Registered
I had/have the same issue with the throttle lag, did have the issue with the jerky 1st to 2nd shift but at about 9,000 miles in it seems to have gone away.

The jerky 1st to 2nd shift was very irritating at first because, especially off the red light it felt like people thought I was trying to race them but no just very hurky jerky shifting but from 4th gear on its smooth as butter. Like I said above around 8,500 - 9,000 miles is when I noticed I no longer feel the jerking and I鈥檓 currently at 11,500 ish miles. I also think I鈥檝e kinda figured out how to lay into the throttle because it is sensitive as f***, I did a test with my hand and with very minimal pressure the rpms were shooting up, so feathering it right from the start from a stop until 3rd gear helps. I鈥檝e noticed as well if I don鈥檛 come to a complete stop (0 mph) - so rolling up to a red light at 2-7 mph and it turns green before complete stop my truck will stay in 2nd or 3rd gear resulting in a smoother take off. Give it some time and those first couple of gears will smooth themselves out.

The throttle lag, I chalked that one up to the truck having so many gears, in regular D mode you鈥檒l be cruising along in 9th gear and decide you want to punch it it鈥檚 going to drop 4 gears or more down to 5th or 4th and then take off, to not have that happen to me I usually switch over to manual mode and get into the gear I want to be in and then punch it and it really takes off then. Back road highway driving is real fun in manual mode to me.

Reactions: TitanAndy
21 - 40 of 68 Posts