Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Give yourself some time to get used to it. What you described does not sound normal.

Every Titan since the beginning of time (2004) has drive-by-wire throttle. I was skeptical at first, but mine (2004) has been flawless for 17 years. People who borrow it (i.e, my brother who has Chevy and Ford) say "your throttle feels weird". It doesn't feel weird to me.

Also, my transmission (5 speed) was the smoothest shifting I've ever experienced in any vehicle. Couldn't even hear or feel most shifts unless you had one eye on the tach. Again, 17 years later, it's still good. When rounding a corner in my suburban neighborhood at <20 mph I sometimes feel a small lurch as it's downshifting or upshifting, like it's momentarily confused (for 0.5 seconds) as to what my intentions are, but it's very, very minor.
Yea I talked to a good friend of mine who is high up at Dodson Motorsports, which makes high performance transmissions for the GTR, Lambo's, you name it. He told me, its just that transmission. They will all feel a bit different and I just need to get used to the feel of it. I asked about a Pedal Commander and he told me it will end up messing up the way the transmission shifts in other gears too. So by fixing the problem with 1st gear, I may have problems later on with others. So yea, I think you are right and I just need to get use to the way the throttle feels, especially with the new 9 speed transmission.

Got my first scratch on the top of the tailgate (plastic part) last night, moving furniture so I had a small sad moment, but I officially have a truck now lol. Look forward to writing stuff in forums 17 years from now with the same truck :) Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well that sucks but I kinda figured the same. Just get used to it i guess.
Im slowly learning that I have to come to a complete stop. If I try to roll through and get back on the throttle its like the tranny doesnt know what to do and thats when I get the stumbles. Its like its in between gears and doesnt know to go to 1st or 2nd. I could see how that would be an issue with a trans who's gears are so close together. Oh well

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well that sucks but I kinda figured the same. Just get used to it i guess.
Im slowly learning that I have to come to a complete stop. If I try to roll through and get back on the throttle its like the tranny doesnt know what to do and thats when I get the stumbles. Its like its in between gears and doesnt know to go to 1st or 2nd. I could see how that would be an issue with a trans who's gears are so close together. Oh well
You need to get used to highway on ramps as well. If you floor it, it goes from 9th to 5th, and sounds like the engine is doing 8K RPMs. First time scared the hell out of me. I hope that improves as well over time, or I will need to apply less foot on those occasions. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
You need to get used to highway on ramps as well. If you floor it, it goes from 9th to 5th, and sounds like the engine is doing 8K RPMs. First time scared the hell out of me. I hope that improves as well over time, or I will need to apply less foot on those occasions. ;)
Yeah Ive learned my lesson with some high horsepower cars with automatics Ive owned in the past. Cruising then putting it to the floor and the gear drops really can tear up a trans quick.

I gave it the goods the other day and it dropped maybe 2 gears and it realized I was asking for more and dropped another one or two.

·
Registered
21 Pro4X
21 Posts
So I got the Roar Pedal, mainly due to the cost. I have been running it in HA1 which is sport mode setting 1. It has dramatically improved the throttle response. I tried the sport+ and race but those are just too aggressive for daily driving. So far the lag when slowing to a stop and then accelerating is gone, but with the setting too much throttle will really make it launch. With some time spent i think the throttle input, by my foot, can be fine tuned. So far it's been a joy to drive, like a different truck. Quick response when adding throttle. Will report anything different as I drive it more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2020 Pro 4X that's been to the dealer twice for transmission shifting issues. First to second gear is very jerky, upshifts are sometimes smooth, other times it shifts hard enough to shake and jerk the truck forward. Downshifting into 1st when coming to a stop feels like someone bumped into the back of the truck and sometimes it's accompanied by an audible "clunk". The first time it was at the dealer, I rode with the tech and he noticed the issues but said the 9 speed is too new and they don't have any software updates for it yet. He said he looked in the nationwide database and there were at least two other cases with similar symptoms documented. He said to check with the service advisor next time I was in for the first oil change...that was a month ago and this time, a different tech of course said he couldn't replicate the issues and they provided me with a printout from what appeared to be a chat log with a Nissan corporate tech in which they acknowledged documented issues elsewhere but the techs comments on the work order say "operating as designed".

This is a new transmission for Nissan so they don't have enough data points yet to come up with a solution. The service advisor told me to keep checking and that eventually they will release an update for it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a 2020 Pro 4X that's been to the dealer twice for transmission shifting issues. First to second gear is very jerky, upshifts are sometimes smooth, other times it shifts hard enough to shake and jerk the truck forward. Downshifting into 1st when coming to a stop feels like someone bumped into the back of the truck and sometimes it's accompanied by an audible "clunk". The first time it was at the dealer, I rode with the tech and he noticed the issues but said the 9 speed is too new and they don't have any software updates for it yet. He said he looked in the nationwide database and there were at least two other cases with similar symptoms documented. He said to check with the service advisor next time I was in for the first oil change...that was a month ago and this time, a different tech of course said he couldn't replicate the issues and they provided me with a printout from what appeared to be a chat log with a Nissan corporate tech in which they acknowledged documented issues elsewhere but the techs comments on the work order say "operating as designed".

This is a new transmission for Nissan so they don't have enough data points yet to come up with a solution. The service advisor told me to keep checking and that eventually they will release an update for it.
Mine is doing the exact same thing and its driving me nuts. Love the truck but the trans is making me hate it, even has me looking at other trucks. Only 1400 miles to. There is a guy on one of the Titan Facebook groups that has 80 miles on his new P4X and his is so bad he's taking it in tomorrow for trans issues. Its basically doing the same things as ours. He was told there is a trans update for the TCM. He told me he would message me as soon as he found out. Hoping there is a fix.

GM had issues similar to this with their 8 speed 8L90 that came out a while back. There was even a class action lawsuit filed because of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I just traded my 17 SV 4x4 in for a 21 P4x and I'm having the same issue with 1st gear lag. Had an intermittent issue with 1st gear lag with the 17 but it was more pronounced when it happend, like a long pause then takes off. It seemed to decrease in severity over time but I only had 26k milea on it. Anyone heard anything else on the 21?

·
Registered
47 Posts
First to second gear is very jerky, upshifts are sometimes smooth, other times it shifts hard enough to shake and jerk the truck forward. Downshifting into 1st when coming to a stop feels like someone bumped into the back of the truck and sometimes it's accompanied by an audible "clunk".
Mine does the same thing. 700 miles. 2021 P4X

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guys,

New here. Just bought a 2021 Pro 4x last week. Love the thing. Issue I'm having is a delay in response when i press the pedal. This is only an issue when I'm taking off from a stop or slow roll (1st gear). I'm assuming it may be a gearing ratio thing? I'm not sure. I also have played around and I see the response is slightly better if I press the pedal down with my toes at the top of the pedal vs resting my heal on the floor and pressing the pedal towards the bottom. Still a delay, but noticeable.

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe a flash and configuring to fix this? It bugs me to press the pedal down, even slightly, and have a good half second delay and then truck jolts forward like I've been spraying fuel for half a second before combustion happens.

Any insight would be great!

-Andy
Andy, The situation your experienced is because the VDC is on, ( VEHICLE DYNAMIC CONTROL) this feature is on automatically to prevent rapid start off, you can shut it off, but it goes back on when you shut off the engine and restart. I have the 2018 crew cab, 13,000 miles, Hope I helped you out!
Bob

·
Registered
2021 Pro4x Gun Metallic w/ gold Method 315
23 Posts
My '21 has the same problem. I have 6k miles now and either the transmission is learning my driving style or I'm just getting used to it. It is definitely better as the miles rack up. I found the problem is the transmission is unsure whether to be in 1st or 2nd. I've learned that if you come to a complete stop (like we are really supposed to) and accelerate the transmission behaves as it should. Everyday I see people who do rolling 'stops' at 4 way stops and merging onto a busy road. Try accelerating from a complete stop, if your wheels are still turning at a low speed it's going to try to go to 2nd gear.

·
Registered
2020 Titan SL, 1987 Mustang GT vert 5 sp
30 Posts
I can't believe it, I bought a new (5500 miles) 2020 SL and that was was the first thing I noticed!
It is irritating, my 2007 and 2014 SL didn't do this.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I can't believe it, I bought a new (5500 miles) 2020 SL and that was was the first thing I noticed!
It is irritating, my 2007 and 2014 SL didn't do this.
You are only allowed to have so much torque at one time, or you might offend someone!

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 2021 P4x does the same thing. I bought it this Saturday and put about 150 miles on it so far. On the highway it's fantastic, around town it's not as nice simply due to the throttle lag... but honestly, I feel like after just full day of driving it around I can already modulate the throttle at take off so that it's not really that much of issue for me.

But the real question is "Should I have to do that in a brand new $57k vehicle?" ....and I think we can all agree the answer to that question is a resounding "NO".

·
Registered
344 Posts
My 2021 P4x does the same thing. I bought it this Saturday and put about 150 miles on it so far. On the highway it's fantastic, around town it's not as nice simply due to the throttle lag... but honestly, I feel like after just full day of driving it around I can already modulate the throttle at take off so that it's not really that much of issue for me.

But the real question is "Should I have to do that in a brand new $57k vehicle?" ....and I think we can all agree the answer to that question is a resounding "NO".
You'd be surprised at how many in here say to just change your driving style and deal with it. I to agree with you. Its not right the way it is

·
Registered
14 Posts
Note: just looked up the Pedal Commander and I think it would be the thing to do the trick!

....except it doesn't work with adaptive cruise control vehicles. And guess what my Titan has....😔

Back to the drawing boards....
The unit automatically disables when you use your cruise. The Pedal Commander will work with your Titan with adaptive cruise.

I emailed them and they told me that the note was only for Infinity vehicles with adaptive cruise.

I mentioned that the red note they had on their website was confusing, it appears that the note is no longer there.

·
Registered
2021 Pro-4X
4 Posts
UPDATE

Well guys, I have News. Good and Bad lol.

So, I took the truck to Nissan and they said what I assumed they would. Said theirs's no codes so there's nothing to "fix". Their offical words from the 2 mechanics were "We dont really see too many 2021 Titans come in but we drove your truck, another 2021 and a 2019. There was no difference between your truck or another 2021 but we could tell what you mean by driving the 2019. They essentially said the truck "drives as designs" and is claiming that the new 9 Speed transmission (the 2019 had a 7 speed). The mechanic said a fix could be getting a throttle tuner or taking it to a shop to have the throttle tuned to remove the lag as this issue only effects 1st gear? I shouldnt HAVE to take a $60k truck into a shop to retune the throttle, but alas, here we are.

So for all of you thinking it will get better, from their words, there's nothing wrong with it. Its just doing what its designed to do (probably a gearing issue of some sort that I figured it was.

Now, where to find a place to tweak and tune the throttle response and fix it..... :cautious:

Hope this helped or shed light for everyone. Attaching official statement below from service center. Would be nice to have an official "Nissan Corporate" on this.

View attachment 549716
I just traded in my 2019 Pro-4X for a 2021 Pro-4X and I can assure you that the 9-speed is by far better than the 7-speed. The problem is the electronic throttle tuning. The ECU tells the throttle how much to open based on several variables like engine temp, oil temp, throttle position, vehicle speed, and more. Long story short, there is not a 1:1 correlation between the accelerator pedal position and throttle position. Also there is Wide Open Throttle restriction in the programming. You can put the pedal to the floor at any speed below 38MPH and the throttle will only open roughly 75% (these numbers are an estimate). I have a Pedal Commander and it makes the throttle much more responsive. I set mine between Sport-4 & Sport-2, depending on the outside air temperatures. It’s also Bluetooth, has a phone app, and can be changed on-the-fly. However, it does not remove the WOT restriction. The only way to disable it that I know of is with UpRev, which at this point, I DO NOT RECOMMEND.
I don’t currently have my 2021 flashed right now is because when I traded in my 2019 I flashed it back to stock and when I emailed them the “Back To Stock” request. They replied and said they stopped giving everyone their license back if/when they ever have to go back to stock. Not to mention if you had a failed flash. I’m not paying $300 for another license on top of the original $800+ cost just because they haven’t figured out a way to transfer a license back to their cable when flashing back to stock. If it weren’t for their new licensing policy I would be a die hard fan. If anyone knows of another way to remove the WOT restriction, please let me know. Sorry for getting off topic. I’m just disappointed with them and the fact that I wasted money on something I can no longer use.

For the record I have:
2021 Titan Pro-4x
Pedal Commander
Borla S-Type Exhaust
A.F.E Momentum Cold Air Intake w/ Air Scoop
Rough Country 3” Lift
NOT UpRev

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
i wonder if the previous owner of my truck had uprev on it. when i got the truck, it was unbelievably fast feeling and would smoke the tires going up the on ramp to the highway. after the engine got swapped, its still fast but now it won't light the tires up going up the on ramp and it just feels held back.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just traded in my 2019 Pro-4X for a 2021 Pro-4X and I can assure you that the 9-speed is by far better than the 7-speed. The problem is the electronic throttle tuning. The ECU tells the throttle how much to open based on several variables like engine temp, oil temp, throttle position, vehicle speed, and more. Long story short, there is not a 1:1 correlation between the accelerator pedal position and throttle position. Also there is Wide Open Throttle restriction in the programming. You can put the pedal to the floor at any speed below 38MPH and the throttle will only open roughly 75% (these numbers are an estimate). I have a Pedal Commander and it makes the throttle much more responsive. I set mine between Sport-4 & Sport-2, depending on the outside air temperatures. It’s also Bluetooth, has a phone app, and can be changed on-the-fly. However, it does not remove the WOT restriction. The only way to disable it that I know of is with UpRev, which at this point, I DO NOT RECOMMEND.
I don’t currently have my 2021 flashed right now is because when I traded in my 2019 I flashed it back to stock and when I emailed them the “Back To Stock” request. They replied and said they stopped giving everyone their license back if/when they ever have to go back to stock. Not to mention if you had a failed flash. I’m not paying $300 for another license on top of the original $800+ cost just because they haven’t figured out a way to transfer a license back to their cable when flashing back to stock. If it weren’t for their new licensing policy I would be a die hard fan. If anyone knows of another way to remove the WOT restriction, please let me know. Sorry for getting off topic. I’m just disappointed with them and the fact that I wasted money on something I can no longer use.

For the record I have:
2021 Titan Pro-4x
Pedal Commander
Borla S-Type Exhaust
A.F.E Momentum Cold Air Intake w/ Air Scoop
Rough Country 3” Lift
NOT UpRev
The guys with 7 speeds dont complain about their transmissions like us folks with the 9 speeds. Just because its newer and has 2 more gears doesnt mean its better

41 - 60 of 68 Posts