Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new '08 Titan a few months ago and now has 2100 miles on it. I have severe throttle hesitation when turning out in traffic or U turns when it straightens up, this lasts for a couple of seconds. Does this get better with more miles on it? The dealer said this is normal for the truck.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A couple of seconds? That's a long time. I have no throttle hesitation at all. I found it to be a little "jumpy" at first.

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
are you sure it's not the traction control kicking in. if the rear wheels slip it will cut the power to reduce wheel spin

·
Registered
674 Posts
konigfritz said:
are you sure it's not the traction control kicking in. if the rear wheels slip it will cut the power to reduce wheel spin
Torque Managment......cant go WOT till after you hit 40 MPH, until then the most you can get is 50%.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Some of the guys on here with 08's said that the throttle is much more tame in the 08's. Most that had earlier model Titans said they miss the jumpy throttle.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
04-07 owners be aware when you have your rearends replaced you might find your truck hesitates too. I think Nissan is quietly reprogramming our ecu like the 08 to stop the destruction of their weak differentials. I think they did it to mine and I have heard of another who noticed the same thing after a axle changeout. I would definately tell the Service guy that no one better reprogram my truck. Problem is, how do we prove it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
duplicate-duplicate-delete

·
Registered
754 Posts
TallTexan said:
04-07 owners be aware when you have your rearends replaced you might find your truck hesitates too. I think Nissan is quietly reprogramming our ecu like the 08 to stop the destruction of their weak differentials. I think they did it to mine and I have heard of another who noticed the same thing after a axle changeout. I would definately tell the Service guy that no one better reprogram my truck. Problem is, how do we prove it.
Have a question about what you just said. Im not putting on a new rear end or anything nor is anything messing up but had a question about what you said when you said there reprogramming the ecu to stop the touchy throttle if you bring it in. If your osiris tuned and they reprogram it and you reflash your ecu to put osiris back on it wouldnt it put it back to having the touchy throtle again? It was something that crossed my mind when you said that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This '08 Titan with the throttle hesitation is in South FL and the temperature here has been in the low to mid 90s and down to the mid 80s at night since I bought the truck. I did notice one morning when we had a cold snap, 72 degress, if you can call that a cold snap, the truck ran like a scalded dog. I guess the high temps can be playing a part with this.

Could I have "broken in" the truck too hard? The driver's manual states do not perform hard accelerations or rev over 4000 for the first 1200 miles. This truck has 317HP and 385 ft/lbs of torque and it was pretty hard not to put my lead foot in it. I did this quite a bit, but after 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
TitanFlorida said:
This '08 Titan with the throttle hesitation is in South FL and the temperature here has been in the low to mid 90s and down to the mid 80s at night since I bought the truck. I did notice one morning when we had a cold snap, 72 degress, if you can call that a cold snap, the truck ran like a scalded dog. I guess the high temps can be playing a part with this.

Could I have "broken in" the truck too hard? The driver's manual states do not perform hard accelerations or rev over 4000 for the first 1200 miles. This truck has 317HP and 385 ft/lbs of torque and it was pretty hard not to put my lead foot in it. I did this quite a bit, but after 500 miles on it.
No, not at all.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Interesting. I don't see any difference in throttle response between my '08 and the '05. Both will spin the tires easily when the right foot goes to the floor. I have the damn Northeast emissions compliant vehicle, so my ECU is probably programmed a bit differently anyway on both trucks.

Not sure if this is your problem, but in some models the fuel pump does not send sufficient fuel to get you to WOT. There was a TSB on this, I just didn't think it applied to the '08's. But perhaps it does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spin the tires? I will never buy a set of tires for this truck. At a complete stop, straight, WOT, sometimes a head jerk but mostly bogging down. Hard accels on turns, minor chirp, then bog down with throttle to the floor for a couple of seconds.

The dealer said there were alot of complaints about the fly-by-wire throttle hesitation but, this was normal. The truck does not ha a VDC switch. Will resetting the ECM help? Will 2* advance help? K&N? Vacuum leak? This truck is only 2 months old and it has been doing it since I bought it. I thought it was breaking in.

I know if I take it to the dealer they will say cannot duplicate the problem. I got this from Ford with my '04 F150 and that is why I traded for the Titan.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, I do have a K&N, but I can't imagine that would help your problem. Unplugging the battery can't really hurt other than you will lose your radio station settings. Perhaps worth a try to see if you can reset the ECU to some better settings. Your symptoms do sound like a bad fuel pump or bad fuel pump connection. Maybe ask them to give you a new one to see if that helps.

I recall seeing other people have similar issues on '04 and '05 models. Some could always break the tires loose, others never could. I am unsure why there is such a discrepancy in the trucks when they are being built on the same line. Of course, my info. center is missing pretty much everything whereas others have all the features in their trucks.

Out of curiousity, do you see any difference if you let the truck sit and warm up for five minutes or so before driving? This really shouldn't matter, I am just curious if any difference is noticeable. Also, how much oxidant is in the fuel in FL and what is it, e.g., ethanol, MTBE, etc.? Also, has the throttle hesitation been there since you drove it off the lot or is this a recent occurrence?

·
Registered
446 Posts
If it matters, the TSB for the WOT issue on the '07's is NTB07-040.

Per the TSB, they should check your fuel pressure using a transmission stall test to verify the fuel pump is still good. If pressure is less than 45 psi, they are supposed to replace the fuel pump.

The dealer will probably say this TSB doesn't apply to '08's. But perhaps you can ask them to do it for you just to eliminate the fuel pump as one source of the problem. Also, I would imagine the fuel pump on the '08's is the same as the ones on the '07. So if the '07's are having a problem, then the '08's may as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Though I wouldn't expect you to have drive train problems right out of the gate on an 08, you may be experiencing a problem with your rear end. I am having mine swapped at the dealer as we speak on my 06 at about 28k. I started noticing the tires hopping a bit in slow turns and it has always been a dog until about 2800 rpms. The last couple of weeks I have noticed a clunk as I put it into drive and now the diff light has started coming on. Long story short my rear end is in pieces and they gave me an 08 to drive while they fix it. I, of course, took the opportunity to romp a bit on the 08 and it goes when I tell it to. I have instant power and I think the thing might take off into orbit if I kept it pegged. I am hoping to find a similar "rocket" experience when I get my truck back. I asked the dealer if they were just going to replace one piece of junk with another and they said that the new rear end will have two mods done to it that will prevent it from malfunctioning again. He also confirmed that they do reprogram the ECM but promised me that it will provide quicker throttle response and more power immediately when towing, and not the opossite as I read above. I told him that I will accept nothing less but that I would wait to see how it turned out. If he in fact is wrong then I think it may be time for us to band together for a class action suit... on a side note he said for a big hp gain and even quicker throttle response, the two best mods one can do are a cold air intake, and an intake manifold riser plate. Obviously a supercahrger would be cool too but not as quick and easy, or affordable for that matter. Anyone know where to get a screaming deal on a riser plate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This weekend I took the truck out and stomped on it from 40-90 mph before I let off it about 10 times. I stopped in the road and WOT it and it did the neck snap and left 2 faint black streaks about 25 ft long, but it didn't break loose. I thought it was getting better, but the next day it ran like granny's Titan again. I am taking it to the dealer and get them to check the fuel pump. It is random when you WOT, somtimes it will snap your next and sometimes it will bog down and then go.

This is a '08 with 2200 miles on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an '05 that has had the rear diff replaced. I had the 2* timing advance done prior to the diff replacement. I'm wondering if the timing advance was "undone" when they reset the ECU (after replacing the diff)? I kind of notice some throttle hesitation from time to time. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is very frustrating. My truck appears to run alot better when we have cooler weather, 70s vs 90s. I will post back after the dealer looks at it and gives me the run around, lol. My truck does the same, one day strong and one day weak.

As far as your 2* advance, it is probably reset to factory specs with your ECM reprograming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
old thread I stumbled on .....but installed a Throttle Sensitivity Controller from these guys and its AMAZING !!
took all the dead pedal out of my 15 and feels like I have 100 more horses now!!
velocity performance products throttle sensitivity controller
v-p-p. ca

1 - 20 of 20 Posts