Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a thule rack exist for the top of the cab on a crew cab. I a looking for one to mount so I can carry fishing poles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There may be a way...

I fish the beach on Hatteras Island, NC and use rods up to 13'.
My Titan is "on order" and there IS a challenge to carry rods!

Apparently the Titan is not outfitted with roof racks.

I contacted GAYLORD which is one of the makers of lids.
They make a "Butterfly" lid which they are adapting to the utility bed package.
I contacted Thule and did not get a positive answer.
However, a local dealer in Virginia Beach (Freewheelin Bike Shop), spent a lot of time with me.
The solution is to mount the Thule "top track" model TP42 or TP54, or TB60 on the lid. These numbers refer to the length of the track...42 inches, 54 inches, and 60 inches.
We have about 60 inches on the lid from front to back. I have not decided yet on the length for my truck.

Thule has a " Tracker II" foot that is used with the "top track" that serves to hold the load bar.
The advantage is that one can move the load bar forward and backward.

I use ski racks now to support my fishing rods and provide lock down security for the rods. But I am using 13' rods with large reels which forced me to go with a Thule "high foot" on my old truck. Since this is not available in the "Tracker II" foot, I will consider another Thule option called the "Cast Away" that is 18.5 inches wide and is designed to support reels and rods. We have about 30 inches on each side of the lid which should be enough to handle the 18.5 inch castaway or 22 inch ski rack plus two "Tracker II" feet.

I need to figure out now the spacing between the two load bars and order the appropriate length of "top track".

The bed length for the crew is about 67 inches or about 5'.
I will also carry a cooler/rod holder on the rear.
That rig will extend perhaps 4' from the tailgate.

So I will have a 13' fishing rod distributed over 5' of bed and 4' of cooler rack. That will leave a 4' overhang.
I expect I will carry the rods broken down to avoid a 4' overhand.

I hope this helps.

Meade

·
Registered
740 Posts
KD4YLX said:
I fish the beach on Hatteras Island, NC and use rods up to 13'.
My Titan is "on order" and there IS a challenge to carry rods!

Apparently the Titan is not outfitted with roof racks.

I contacted GAYLORD which is one of the makers of lids.
They make a "Butterfly" lid which they are adapting to the utility bed package.
I contacted Thule and did not get a positive answer.
However, a local dealer in Virginia Beach (Freewheelin Bike Shop), spent a lot of time with me.
The solution is to mount the Thule "top track" model TP42 or TP54, or TB60 on the lid. These numbers refer to the length of the track...42 inches, 54 inches, and 60 inches.
We have about 60 inches on the lid from front to back. I have not decided yet on the length for my truck.

Thule has a " Tracker II" foot that is used with the "top track" that serves to hold the load bar.
The advantage is that one can move the load bar forward and backward.

I use ski racks now to support my fishing rods and provide lock down security for the rods. But I am using 13' rods with large reels which forced me to go with a Thule "high foot" on my old truck. Since this is not available in the "Tracker II" foot, I will consider another Thule option called the "Cast Away" that is 18.5 inches wide and is designed to support reels and rods. We have about 30 inches on each side of the lid which should be enough to handle the 18.5 inch castaway or 22 inch ski rack plus two "Tracker II" feet.

I need to figure out now the spacing between the two load bars and order the appropriate length of "top track".

The bed length for the crew is about 67 inches or about 5'.
I will also carry a cooler/rod holder on the rear.
That rig will extend perhaps 4' from the tailgate.

So I will have a 13' fishing rod distributed over 5' of bed and 4' of cooler rack. That will leave a 4' overhang.
I expect I will carry the rods broken down to avoid a 4' overhand.

I hope this helps.

Meade
Ouch!!! I think I will go for a beer!!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
473 Posts
KD4YLX

(Nice call, fellow ham)

Just North of you, and Nissan does make a set of "ladder racks" that fit the utli-trac system. They give you the base, all you need to do is to add a redwood sandwich to the top to hold the rods!

We, Virginians, have been discussing a potential Beach rally / get together. Nothing is locked down if you are interested, your guidance on beach locations would be great. I was thinking Corolla / Back Bay region for the meet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Beach rally

Great idea !!

Only sand access is via NC....not via Back Bay or False Cape State Park.

There are several choices:
1) Corolla has beach access northward to VA state line
2) Oregon Inlet area
3) Hatteras Island.
Note: there are restricted areas north of Rodanthe and restricted areas and summer time restrictions elsewhere, but lots of beach nevertheless.

I am going down there in a couple of weeks.
If you want me to get the details on Hatteras Island let me know.

I will not be getting my truck until late May or June...do not know exactly yet.

Meade

·
Registered
20 Posts
THULE roof rack

LI Titan said:
Does a thule rack exist for the top of the cab on a crew cab. I a looking for one to mount so I can carry fishing poles.
My truck is also due in May.

I need to carry fishing poles too and while a rack system on a cover will work to an extent, it will not work as well as a rack system on the roof of the crew cab.

I am thinking now about the Thule track system for the roof of the cab. It will involve penetration of the cab roof.
Have you considered this option ?

Meade

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
KD4YLX said:
My truck is also due in May.

I need to carry fishing poles too and while a rack system on a cover will work to an extent, it will not work as well as a rack system on the roof of the crew cab.

I am thinking now about the Thule track system for the roof of the cab. It will involve penetration of the cab roof.
Have you considered this option ?

Meade
I ordered an A.R.E. Z series shell with a rack on the roof of the shell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thule rack on A.R.E. Z series

bestatchess said:
I ordered an A.R.E. Z series shell with a rack on the roof of the shell.
I have also ordered the LE CC 4X4 with Off-Road, Big TOw, Utility bed system with divider.

This may be the only option to avoid the roof.

Thanks for your comment.

What is their web site and approx. cost ?

Meade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts